Gas lens breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas lens breakage

Can anyone tell me why my 3/32 gas lens breaks in to at the neck down area? It's happened about four times using different amps from 120 to 180. Running an average of 15 cfm and only finger tighten the cup. Today had only welded about five minutes when it happened again. Hasn't happened with any other lens of smaller size. Just the 3/32. Tungston about 1/8 in. stickout using an air cooled torch. Could understand if had been welding max amps for a period of time but five mins with a dynasty 200 seems too soon. Ground was near weld area on clean surface. Know that can cause problems else where on stick welding or burning.

This post makes no sense.

Are you talking about the gas lens or the cup?

Would probably help to let us know what cup size you're using. Could possibly be too small for a 3/32" tungsten, or it could be that you've gotten your hands on some defective cups.

I've run some #6 Weldcraft cups pretty hot with 3/32" tungsten, and haven't experienced that sort of problem.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

Sounds like the cup is bottoming out on the gas lens. Maybe the teflon piece is missing or youre tightening it way too tight. It should be tightened to just contact the teflon then about 1/4 turn or just snug, if forced it can contact the end of the gas lens, then a heat and cool cycle can break the cup.

I have used them for years and it is unusual to break one other than overheating it or dropping it, or some sort of abuse.

As Sundown said, it may be defective cups as well.
      mike sr

Comment

gas lens breakage

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
        This post makes no sense.

Are you talking about the gas lens or the cup?

Would probably help to let us know what cup size you're using. Could possibly be too small for a 3/32" tungsten, or it could be that you've gotten your hands on some defective cups.

I've run some #6 Weldcraft cups pretty hot with 3/32" tungsten, and haven't experienced that sort of problem.
        Sorry for the misconception but was talking about the cup and it is sized correctly for the 3/32 tungsten and not over tightened. Have seen bad tig torches so maybe it could be a bad batch of cups.

Comment

Originally posted by abprt View Post
          Sorry for the misconception but was talking about the cup and it is sized correctly for the 3/32 tungsten and not over tightened. Have seen bad tig torches so maybe it could be a bad batch of cups.
          were you welding aluminum? and there is no correctly sized cup for 3/32 you size the cup to your process for example I use a #5 on a root pass the I step up to a 6 or 8 for the fill and cap on pipe

Comment

Originally posted by gnam View Post
            were you welding aluminum? and there is no correctly sized cup for 3/32 you size the cup to your process for example I use a #5 on a root pass the I step up to a 6 or 8 for the fill and cap on pipe
            When I decided to try gas lens, I orderd gas lens and cups for .040 / 1/16 / and 3/32 tugstens so each box and packages are marked according to size and that is how I select for correct size for the tungstens

Comment

Originally posted by abprt View Post
              When I decided to try gas lens, I orderd gas lens and cups for .040 / 1/16 / and 3/32 tugstens so each box and packages are marked according to size and that is how I select for correct size for the tungstens
              There is no set size for each size tungsten, you can use a .040 tungtsen with a #8 cup if you want. No set size. I generally use a #7 nozzle on my #20 torch with a gas lens and 3/32 tungsten. Then I'll step up to a #8 with 1/8 tungsten and a #5 or6 with a 1/16 tungsten but it is not set in stone.

-Dan
              Owner
              DW Metalworks LLC
              Miller Trailblazer 302
              Miller 8RC Feeder
              Miller Passport Plus
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
              Hobart Handler 135
              Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
              Smith O/A Torch Set
              Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Your nozzle should be bottoming out on the teflon spacer. If it bottoms out on the threads on the gas lens you're sure to crack the nozzle when the metal gas lens expands from the heat. I've done this before when switching from regular collet body to a gas lens and forgot to put the correct teflon spacer in there. Just a few seconds of welding and it popped the end off.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
                MM210
                MM Vintage
                Lincoln AC225
                Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
                Cutmaster 81
                IR 2475N7.5FP
                Evolution Rage3
                Jancy USA101
                9" South Bend
                AEAD-200LE

Comment