cold calling???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold calling???

I went independent a year ago. I'm 21 years experienced in all disciplines of welding, fabrication, design, rigging, fitting and millwright. Since going solo, the major revenue source is various piece welding and fixture design/fabrication for a few local CNC machine shops. Recently, a large percentage of said work was outsourced to China. I need to find new customers/clients.
    Can any of the experienced business owners here offer any advice on finding new customers?

Thank You
    Wesley Graham
    www.Metal-Made.com
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
    Miller MM 212
    Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

You're up to a good start by posting this thread here. Free adds is very good for business. You can do like a lot of other other business do and go to forums all over the places you want to sell your product and make sure you leave your web address on the post and voila, free advertising.
    You probably already know that one
    Good luck

Comment

website

awesome website! lookslike you're off to a good start if you can keep your website in the front of everyone's thought process.......it's a real eyecatcher and sure to be remembered!

i really liked the staircase sketch-up and the lift stand.

good luck man!
      1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
      2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
      LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
      4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
      SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
      SEVERAL GRINDERS
      LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
      BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
      CLASS A CDL'S
      C7500 FLAT BED
      4 TRAILERS
      HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
      SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
      TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
      6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
      ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

Couple thoughts on the Web-Site:

* I hate it when I click on an Image and it doesn't open in a new window- if I close the Image I have Closed your Web-Site also.

* Quite a few images are Out of Focus/ Blurry - You're in Charlotte- gotta be a Photog around you can possibly Trade services with. Honestly a first year Photo student would be a huge leap with the images which is YOUR image. I would bet you could find a student that wants to learn how to weld.

* I would not start with the Artistic gallery

Don't be afraid of the Social network Sites- Miller and Lincoln are on Facebook- but again you better be ready with decent Images.

Hey it's free
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

If it was me I'd stay in contact with the guys who have outsourced to China.
          We've picked up quite a bit of work modifying and fixing and beefing up fabrication that came over on the boat. Sometimes it made us more than if we'd built the items in the first place.
          That plus the fact that a lot of companies go the offshore route for a short time only to return to someone in the U.S. because of language barriers, shipping cost, quality control, change order flexibility, long lead time, warantee and about a hundred other reasons.
          That lure of cheap initial cost sometimes wears off fast. So I wouldn't write them off or abandon them.
          In a recession there are a lot fewer projects to go around and some people are bidding work just to cover overhead and keep the doors open so it's a lot different. But a lot of business' are going under so when it's over there will be more work for the survivors.
          My take,
          JTMcC.
          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            Couple thoughts on the Web-Site:

* I hate it when I click on an Image and it doesn't open in a new window- if I close the Image I have Closed your Web-Site also.

* Quite a few images are Out of Focus/ Blurry - You're in Charlotte- gotta be a Photog around you can possibly Trade services with. Honestly a first year Photo student would be a huge leap with the images which is YOUR image. I would bet you could find a student that wants to learn how to weld.

* I would not start with the Artistic gallery

Don't be afraid of the Social network Sites- Miller and Lincoln are on Facebook- but again you better be ready with decent Images.

Hey it's free
            along those lines, make the galleries in a slideshow type presentation. that way you can click on an arrow and go to the next pic, and not back to the original page.
            American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
            Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

It’s a good idea of advertising the products from these sites. It’s economical for small business. There many sites try to post the ads too. It will be more effective on the customer to sell the product.
              Cold Calling

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                We've picked up quite a bit of work modifying and fixing and beefing up fabrication that came over on the boat. Sometimes it made us more than if we'd built the items in the first place.
                That plus the fact that a lot of companies go the offshore route for a short time only to return to someone in the U.S. because of language barriers, shipping cost, quality control, change order flexibility, long lead time, warantee and about a hundred other reasons.
                That lure of cheap initial cost sometimes wears off fast. So I wouldn't write them off or abandon them.
                In a recession there are a lot fewer projects to go around and some people are bidding work just to cover overhead and keep the doors open so it's a lot different. But a lot of business' are going under so when it's over there will be more work for the survivors.
                My take,
                JTMcC.
                BINGO!!!!
                The work lost to China came home this week! Poor quality and non consistency killed the price advantage my client thought was a good thing
                Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
                Miller HF-250-1
                Miller Maxstar 150slt
                Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
                Miller MM 212
                Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
                MM 252
                Miller Elite Dig
                Miller Pro-Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by wagin View Post
                  BINGO!!!!
                  The work lost to China came home this week! Poor quality and non consistency killed the price advantage my client thought was a good thing
                  Glad to hear it. I hope it all works out for you.
                  20 lb. Ford Tune Up Tool
                  Miller Syncrowave 350DX
                  Miller Syncrowave 200R
                  Millermatic 250 Mig
                  Miller Thunderbolt 225V
                  Miller Elite Hood
                  Century 130 Porta Mig
                  Harris Multistage Oxy/Act
                  Milwaukee 9",7",4.5" Grinders
                  Milwaukee Porta Band
                  Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw
                  Lisle 7X12 Horiz/Vert Band Saw
                  00 Dodge 3500 Dsl Dually Tool Box

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                    My take,
                    JTMcC.
                    Originally posted by wagin View Post
                    BINGO!!!!
                    This is great. Truth and wisdom will always ring true. Even is times of hardship.
                    In fact in such times that may be about all that remains worth having IMO.
                    I consider good work in the same category as truth. Not so true in other countries.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Cold calling is actually good so as long as you call only your target market. Nice website BTW tho as what others have pointed out, minor changes need to be made ;-)
                      IT support Hertfordshire

Comment

a big second to jtmc, keep in touch with any one who outs to china, i am friends with 4 small machine shops, both owners and employees, they took a big hit when out sourceing became popular, for the past year the clients that they lost almost all came back with an apolgie for leaving, the mistakes, rework, delays, ect. became an every day situation

Comment

Working...
                        X