Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DamageInc537
    replied
    no prob.. sorry i wasnt clearer about that before, i honestly forgot that it was there.

Leave a comment:

• OldSparks
    replied
    DamageInc537

Thanks for mentioning the counterbore, the pics had me baffled.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    Originally posted by OldSparks View Post
    Gotta agree with walker, the pics are a bit of a mind tease....wierd camera angle? What's with the hard lines.
    Hard lines? on the right side of the pic? if thats what you mean some of the pipe that we get in the apprentice school are machined beveled on both ends and counter bored. I think that is most likey the counter bore edge. and walker again, it is my root pass from the inside, with a cell phone cam.

Leave a comment:

• OldSparks
    replied
    Gotta agree with walker, the pics are a bit of a mind tease....wierd camera angle? What's with the hard lines.
    Last edited by OldSparks; 04-30-2010, 05:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Not trying to be critical, but go look at the pipe pic that Sonora posted, then look at your picture number two. There is little or no tie in, huge gaps, and a build up of weld bead that defies the word wagon tracks. Every root pass that I have done does not look like a whipped stringer bead, so I think you might be mistaken about the content of the photo.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    they are all of the root, granted its from then inside of the pipe but she's def. the root.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Damage, are you saying that pic number 2 is your root pass? Looks more like a whipped stringer to me, granted there is not enough picture to get a good overview.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    i've done quite a bit of xray fitting, and xray quality fitting, never had any of the welders ask me to clean the inside of the pipe or fitting, at least with SMAW welding. GTAW yes most def. why is that an issue with slight undercut?

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    Yeah definetly one of your issues is the dirtyness of that pipe your welding. Seeing as it only looks like you have undercut on one side however, it must be your electrode angle. Seems like your pointing it too much to the far side and not letting the weld puddle fuse to the near side. Maybe try going a little slower or putting in a TINY weave and pause on the sides to let it fuse.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Porosity
    replied
    Hey Damage,
    Thanks for taking the time to send some pics!
    This helps alot.I'm defininetly running to hot! It maybe Wednesday before Im able to run another coupon.I'll post some pics then and let you know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    thanks jsm

Leave a comment:

• jsm11
    replied
    Looks pretty **** good......

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    Joe, Here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality. i don't want to bring my good camera into the booth, so it leaves me with the cell cam. its not a "perfect root" but i think it will give you an idea.

feathered tack:

the right side of pic is the top, I think:

again right side is the top:

Leave a comment:

• jsm11
    replied
    Running one filler myself.

And Running three stringer beads for a cap.

Running the root around 70-75 depending on the fit-up and weather etc. Sometimes as low as 65.

Do my best to keep the rod slightly tilted past 90* or right on 90*

Filler 5 amps higher.

Cap @ around 90 regardless of the other variables.
    Me likes it smooth
    Last edited by jsm11; 04-25-2010, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 7A749
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    You may want to wait until one of the real pipe weldors here come a long and give you more experienced advice. I'm just a hand rail weldor! I just felt like typing, so I answered your questions.
    Hey, Sonora. Not to hijack, but send me a PM so I can contact you. I have some Lincoln SA 200 Shorty stuff you may be interested in & the price is right

Leave a comment:

Working...
X