No announcement yet.

6G 6010 root help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a zip disc or cut-off wheel to open the gap back up is a trick of the trade when you have a bad tie-in. Works wonders. You just have to remember that the land has widened up on one side or the other and act accordingly with technique. With a good helper, he can "soften" the tight for you without using the zip disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Porosity View Post

I've been running my rod angle straight in around 80 amps which leads me to believe,I'm just eating the top edge away,causing the uncut

My first thoughts on undercut on the inside top is that I've dropped my hand. Has someone watched you to confirm you are indeed straight on?

Comment

Thanks Damage Inc!

Your advice makes perfect sense! You'll be happy to know this test is for my local Union!

I've been running my rod angle straight in around 80 amps,which leads me to believe,I'm just eating the top edge away,causing the undercut.

If I back off to 70,and angle slightly towards the top,I think it will fix my problem!

I'll let you and Iron know how it goes Monday! And send a pic!
        What local? is this for the UA-21 or the UA-2?
        American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
        Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

Local 102!

Comment

Hey Damage,

I've been running 2 filler passes with 3/32 7018 after the root.
            I can do it in 1,but I have to hold so long to fill,it risk burning thru the root.

Is 2 passes ok?

How do you run your filler on sch40?

Thanks

Comment

Hey Damage,

I've been running 2 filler passes with 3/32 7018 after the root.
              I can do it in 1,but I have to hold so long to fill,it risk burning thru the root.

Is 2 passes ok?

How do you run your filler on sch40?

Thanks
              sch40 6" i run one fill usually, on an old transformer machince, at about 72.5 amps and get it so that my shoulders are still there and i am just below flush. then i cap with 2 stringers about 5 amps higher. i run a weave with my fill and i come slightly foward at the bottom edge, hold for a second, then back into the top and hold for slightly longer. (2 max) something like: ////////// you don't want to come to far forward and cold lap the puddle.

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                You may want to wait until one of the real pipe weldors here come a long and give you more experienced advice. I'm just a hand rail weldor! I just felt like typing, so I answered your questions.
                Hey, Sonora. Not to hijack, but send me a PM so I can contact you. I have some Lincoln SA 200 Shorty stuff you may be interested in & the price is right
                So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Running one filler myself.

And Running three stringer beads for a cap.

Running the root around 70-75 depending on the fit-up and weather etc. Sometimes as low as 65.

Do my best to keep the rod slightly tilted past 90* or right on 90*

Filler 5 amps higher.

Cap @ around 90 regardless of the other variables.
                  Me likes it smooth
                  Last edited by jsm11; 04-25-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Joe, Here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality. i don't want to bring my good camera into the booth, so it leaves me with the cell cam. its not a "perfect root" but i think it will give you an idea.

feathered tack:

the right side of pic is the top, I think:

again right side is the top:

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

Looks pretty **** good......

Comment

thanks jsm

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

Hey Damage,
                          Thanks for taking the time to send some pics!
                          This helps alot.I'm defininetly running to hot! It maybe Wednesday before Im able to run another coupon.I'll post some pics then and let you know how it goes!

Comment

Yeah definetly one of your issues is the dirtyness of that pipe your welding. Seeing as it only looks like you have undercut on one side however, it must be your electrode angle. Seems like your pointing it too much to the far side and not letting the weld puddle fuse to the near side. Maybe try going a little slower or putting in a TINY weave and pause on the sides to let it fuse.
                            Welders always like achieving full penetration with a tight fit in a clean gap

Comment

i've done quite a bit of xray fitting, and xray quality fitting, never had any of the welders ask me to clean the inside of the pipe or fitting, at least with SMAW welding. GTAW yes most def. why is that an issue with slight undercut?

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

Damage, are you saying that pic number 2 is your root pass? Looks more like a whipped stringer to me, granted there is not enough picture to get a good overview.

Comment

Working...
                                X