6G 6010 root help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6G 6010 root help needed!

I'm practicing for a 6" 6g 6010 root/7018 fill and cap.

I haven't stick welding any pipe in about 10yrs.

This used to be any easy test for me, but for some reason I'm getting undercut on one side of the root, the top piece of pipe.

It has to be my rod angle doesn't it? I'm going straight in.
    Will this bust me out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached pic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6010 root.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	528345

Try cleaning the inside of the pipe. At least 3/4-inch each half.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

I tried cleaning with a flapper wheel, I'm dealing with some pretty rusty pipe! I hope this is my problem!
      But if it is, it seems like it would undercut both sides.

Thanks, Iron

Comment

To me the actual weld bead looks great!
        But the pipe looks like it has some kind of crust on it. I use a roto-burr in a die grinder to clean the weld zone back on the inside of the pipe.
        Like this.

Caution!

Comment

Thanks!

Thats the best root I think I've ever seen! Not on my best day!

How many amps do u run your 1/8 6010?

How big of gap and how much landing?

Do you burn through your tacks?

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

You most likely don't want advice from me about welding pipe, I'm just a structural hand, and an old hand at that!

But 6-G I like a 3/32-inch land, and 3/32-inch gap.
            5-G I like a 3/32-inch land 1/16 + inch gap.
            I like ESAB's 10P Plus, I run 60 to 65 amps.
            I grind my tacks real thin, and feather each side, when running up on a tack I angle the rod towards the tack.

Again I'm not a pipe weldor!
            Caution!

Comment

With that 3/32 land and gap are you running 3/32 or 1/8 rod?

I'm running 1/8 rod at 75 amps. I may be to hot and this is causing the undercut.

Comment

1/8th inch rod.

If I was faster, and a better weldor, and had better hand to eye coordination I too could run more amps.
                Caution!

Comment

I'm to hot! I knew it!

So you dont burn all the way through your tacks?

Your A Humble Old Pro Sorona Iron!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Porosity View Post
                    So you dont burn all the way through your tacks?
                    Yes I do! I run right over them, that is why I grind them thin. To consume the tack if I can.
                    Caution!

Comment

I'm gonna try another coupon Monday, using your advice and technique!
                      I'll let you know how it goes and send you a pic!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Porosity View Post
                        I'm gonna try another coupon Monday, using your advice and technique!
                        You may want to wait until one of the real pipe weldors here come a long and give you more experienced advice. I'm just a hand rail weldor! I just felt like typing, so I answered your questions.
                        Caution!

Comment

Joe:

1/8 land
                          1/8 gap

should be around 70 amps depending on machine.

key hole your root, and most def. feather your tacks and burn through. also any starts and stops!
                          On my 6" 6g roots i use 4 tacks roughly 3/4"-1" (no longer)set at 3,6,9 & 12. i feather both sides so that the tips are slightly blue and the edge is paper thin, and clean up the middle of the tack for a clean start. I do it with a 3/32 grinding wheel.

If you find you gap has shrunk on the last quarter of the root, take the 3/32 wheel and open it back up to atleast a 3/32 gap. don't fight it.
                          for the top edge, hold your rod angle pointed slightly to the top piece of pipe (no more the 5 degrees) and stay roughly 90 degrees to the center of the pipe for travel. I'll take some pictures on monday.
                          Last edited by DamageInc537; 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM. Reason: forgot something.
                          American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
                          Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

Thanks Damage Inc!

Your advice makes perfect sense! You'll be happy to know this test is for my local Union!

I've been running my rod angle straight in around 80 amps,which leads me to believe,I'm just eating the top edge away,causing the undercut.

If I back off to 70,and angle slightly towards the top,I think it will fix my problem!

I'll let you and Iron know how it goes Monday! And send a pic!

Comment

Hey I actualy just did my preasure ticket and 3/32 gap and land running it in at 70 to 75 amps works great. I run my rod at a 90 degree angle and burry it in ur lad when welding with a bit of a wiggle to make sure ur tying in both sides. Hope it works for u

Comment

Working...
                              X