Just scored a new mill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just scored a new mill!

Yes, the deal I've been holding out for made it's debut 2 nights ago in Craigslist.

Took a look at it this morning and left with a reciept for deposit.

For some time I've needed a mill, and really didn't want to waste money on some import crap.. Location, nice machine or eorn out, buying sight unseen, all of these just never panned out. Untill now.

It's a Bridgeport, has been very well service from its condition, and comes with a vice for the table, some collets.

When I got there, the table is clean and well oiled, everything is butter smooth, table is tight, really nice shape. The power feed is new, and there was two Brand new Kurt 625vices on the table with handles still in the boxes. He goes on to tell me the story, wife, divorce, now moving out due to foreclosure and putting everything in storage etc.

Price in the ad was $2000 for the machine and one vice.

Walked away with the mill, and both vices for $1650

Looked up the vice online, $550 each..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Checkered Flag; 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM.
    Two Dynasty 350's with Wireless pedals
    Victor O/A
    Profax 250 weld positioner
    Bridgeport mill
    Logan Turret lathe
    RMD tubing bender
    Enco vertical saw
    Baileigh Auto cold saw
    IR 80 Gal dual stage compressor
    Misc Fab equipment

nice deal. theres a guy in hartford selling rebuilt bridgeports for $1500 out the door. he always seems to have a tractor trailer full of them.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Comment

That's a smoking deal. That Bridgeport will last you a lifetime. I have one too and they are a god send to the home shop.

Now is it three phase and can you power it??

If it is three phase and you done have three phase PM me if you need a way top power it up. I ran mine in a apartment garage off of 110VAC. It can be powered up very easily
      Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
      Millermatic 252 on the wish list
      Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
      South bend lathe 10LX40
      K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
      Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
      A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
      Auto shades are for rookies
      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I have a 3 phase vert saw, so already own a converter.

Really excited about it, all the times I run out to the local guy.. now I can do it here.

Also did the math, and it should pay for itself in under 3 months because now I can have the employee do simple operations that are currently sent out.
        Victor O/A
        Bridgeport mill
        Logan Turret lathe
        RMD tubing bender
        Enco vertical saw
        Baileigh Auto cold saw
        Misc Fab equipment

Comment

Don't for get to write that puppy off on the Income taxes and if you can get the guy that sold it to you to give you a fattened up receipt Uncle sam will not be the wiser
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Congrats on the new toy. Here is a whole bunch of reading on them if you are interested...Bob
            http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/
            Bob Wright

Comment

My steel yard is right down the street from the original factory in bridgeport CT. I just talked to the guy that owns it now, lookin to see if he had one sittin around he wanted to get rid of. a friend of a friend had told mehe had them lined up in the wharehouse for the longest time.

It's kind of funny/ironic the company went out fo business because their machines lasted for so long.
              F450 crewcab flatbed
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Miller 8VS suitcase
              Millermatic 251
              Millermatic 180
              Miller Spectrum 375
              Miller Econotig & 150 STH
              Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Comment

If you might be interested in Bridgeports history, here is a neat website showing machines and all the different heads back to day one..

There is a chart there also...Serial Number/Date of Manufacturer

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/

They are a neat machines, have one I bought new a few years ago
                Last edited by Alaskan; 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM.
                Syncrowave 350LX...
                Dynasty 200DX...
                Maxstar 200DX..
                CoolMate 3's on each..
                CK torches
                Lincoln Precision Tig 185 w / Miller Coolmate 1
                Bridgeport & Clausing
                SEMA #136

Machine, fishing...Harbercraft 33' with twin Mercury Verado 300's

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
                  My steel yard is right down the street from the original factory in bridgeport CT. I just talked to the guy that owns it now, lookin to see if he had one sittin around he wanted to get rid of. a friend of a friend had told mehe had them lined up in the wharehouse for the longest time.

It's kind of funny/ironic the company went out fo business because their machines lasted for so long.
                  I'm not sure if that's what put Bridgeport out of business.

I think it was the cheep knock offs coming out of china. How do you compete with a product priced less then half of what yours runs.

Although you are right those mills last a long time. Mine is a early 70's model

But at least a good company bought them Hardinge. They've made the best surface grinders for years.
                  Last edited by kcstott; 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM.
                  South bend lathe 10LX40
                  www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Currently they can't keep up with the demand, even at about 16k now for a base machine
                    Syncrowave 350LX...
                    Dynasty 200DX...
                    Maxstar 200DX..
                    CoolMate 3's on each..
                    CK torches
                    Lincoln Precision Tig 185 w / Miller Coolmate 1
                    Bridgeport & Clausing
                    SEMA #136

Machine, fishing...Harbercraft 33' with twin Mercury Verado 300's

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan View Post
                      Currently they can't keep up with the demand, even at about 16k now for a base machine
                      That's what I've heard talking to the Harig rep at Westec

And in some areas used machines are going at a premium.
                      I stole mine for a cool $1100 with a vise and 10" rotary table.
                      Sad thing is. 20 years ago back in trade school we had a few Bridgeport's and I didn't car for them, I liked the Gortons. But I soon learned as it turns out Bridgeport is the standard by which all others are measured.
                      Last edited by kcstott; 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM.
                      South bend lathe 10LX40
                      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I looked for a good long time at other options, the BP is a bit large for where it's going. Found that all the lighter machines were just that, lighter duty.

Finally came to the conclusion that if I wanted to be happy with a mill than it would have to be a BP..

Now moving it is the next issue. It's 5 miles from the new location. Was going to hire a flatbed to winch it up and bring it over.

Of course invert the head and lower the table all the way down.

Any suggestions?
                        Victor O/A
                        Bridgeport mill
                        Logan Turret lathe
                        RMD tubing bender
                        Enco vertical saw
                        Baileigh Auto cold saw
                        Misc Fab equipment

Comment

Way to go, CF; you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Comment

There is a procedure to moving a Bridgeport.

It is as follows right out of the manual.
                            Paraphrased

Tighten column swivel bolts.
                            Loosen ram locking bolts and advance ram so that 1" of dove tail is exposed on the REAR of the ram. Tighten bolts to lock ram in this position.
                            Lower Knee to about 1/3 off the bottom.
                            Move table to rear of saddle. (Y Axis)
                            Center table on saddle (X Axis)
                            Lock knee, saddle, & table.

Now for my twist. The head dosen't need to be rotated if you have a large enough lift to get over the top of it and if you have the vertical clearance.
                            If not you will have to rotate the head to get the lift closer to the ram.

If you use a sling use padding on the dove tail right behind the head. as this is the best place to lift and it will cut through a strap if not protected. I used pieces of card board. But what ever you use be sure it's at least 1/4" thick

As for lifting you can do it a few ways. One is use a fork lift and just put a 6X6 post across the forks and lift on the dovetail right be hind the head.
                            That the mill balance point and you can drive away with the lift and the machine will stay put so long as you take it easy.

The other way is to use a Cherry picker Which is what I have done three separate times. You can use a Nylon lifting sling in a basket around the dove tail behind the head. A six foot loop sling work best just double it up and the two loops will be right on top of the ram with about 2-3" extra to get a hook through. Be sure your leg on the Cherry pick are out beyond the end of the boom or the Cherry pick will tilt.

You can also use a lifting eye installed in the ram thread size is 5/8 -11

The mill weighs 2000 pounds and is a little top heavy it doesn't take much for one to be laying on it's side.

And be sure your cherry pickers legs have more then 24" between them as this is the narrow width of the base of the mill.

Those cheep harbor freight Cherry pickers will work but You need to have the boom way out to be able to set it down as there are bolts in between the legs of the picker and the leg are right at 24" apart. Been there done that.

Good luck
                            If you need help Call me I can advise over the phone
                            Number is on the site

Wish I was closer I'd come over and help ya
                            South bend lathe 10LX40
                            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

The other thing is. Bridgeport's are Cheep to rebuild.

$250 for a spindle rebuild kit with top end belt and bearings
                              $2500 to have the table surface ground and the ways re-scraped

So you could buy a total clunker for a grand and invest another $3000 and have a brand new machine for 1/4 the cost of new. and it's a Bridgeport so it will hold it's value over time.

My machine as it sets is worth $3000 w/ no tooling. Throw in the vise, collets, and rotary table and now you're up to $4000 on the high end.
                              South bend lathe 10LX40
                              www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X