Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High frequency problem with Syncrowave 180 SD

Anyone had this problem before?

I was welding some aluminum yesterday and something happened to my High Frequency. The machine still seems to be putting out current as I can switch to DC and touch start and it works. I can even touch start in AC with success ( of course its a bit hard to keep it going and to really weld). I checked the spark gaps and they looked OK. I regapped them at 12 mils. I can hear and see the high frequency at the spark gaps. I tried a different torch and cable, and a different different ground. I also made sure the gas was not to high. What else could it be? Looking inside It looks like the HF comes from a transformer to the spark gaps then to a tube with a larger diameter wire coiled on the outside, and the wire from the spark gaps going through it. It must be a transformer to add the HF to the current output. Form there is goes to the main, AC, DC, DC- selector. Anyone have a schematic on the control circuit board and a wiring diagram of the welder itself? I would appreciate any help.

BTw the serial number is LB327917, I have downloaded the manual. :-)

Thanks,
    Last edited by mybike996; 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM.

Is the HF at the points a bright blue color or a dull orange dancing around the gaps?

Andy

Comment

The arc was blue and it sounded as loud as it normally does.

Comment

Open up the covers and see where the HF is jumping to.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I had to take the cover off to look at the spark gap.I could see the arc at the sparkgap but couldnt see it anywhere else.

Any ideas on how to test the HP. What is the freqency, current , voltage supposet do be?

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
            Is the HF at the points a bright blue color or a dull orange dancing around the gaps?

Andy
            I could really use some additional help. The arc at the spark gap is blue, but it tends to move around. I turned the lights off in the shop and couldn't see any arcing anywhere else. I measured the coil that connects to the spark gaps and is inside the coupling coil that connects to the work connector. It was low ohms like I would suspect. The .002uf capacitor .002uf (C3) that looks to be in series from the spark gaps to the coupling coil didn't check to be shorted it was high ohms. I tested the machine again. I can drag start and weld steel in DCEN. I can even drag start in AC on aluminum and see that there is enough current / power.

How do I isolate the problem?

Thanks,

Comment

To find HF jumping off it has to be dark, and your torch has to be under load. Lay your torch on a piece of metal with the work clamp connected, then depress the pedal whie looking in the machine. Would be even easier if you had a helper to weld whie you looked.

Comment

Had the problem arise twice. 1st time it was a relay. Secong time it was the footpedal. Happened about 3 years apart on the same machine

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                  To find HF jumping off it has to be dark, and your torch has to be under load. Lay your torch on a piece of metal with the work clamp connected, then depress the pedal whie looking in the machine. Would be even easier if you had a helper to weld whie you looked.
                  Thanks, for the pointers. I had looked for the jumping arc in the dark but had removed both leads from the welder. I'll look again with it's under load while welding.

Comment

Any updates on this? Just had the same thing happen to my buddies welder.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rs_customs View Post
                      Any updates on this? Just had the same thing happen to my buddies welder.

Robert
                      I still haven’t figured it out. I'm making a hi voltage high frequency probe to so I can measure the out put of the high voltage transformer. I suspect it to be the .002 uf 10000volt cap. I have inspected the coupling transformer it it measures ok. I can't se any HF arcing anywhere even with it dark in the room.

I have had to resort to old 1988 Airco Heliwelder for now. Does anyone know the measured voltage and frequency for the output of the HF transformer? Please respond if you have any suggestions

Comment

All your concerned is whether or not 120 Vac is getting to the primary side of that HF transformer.

Comment

Strange.
                          If you have a bright blue arc t the points, chances are that the hf generator is OK. I'd do what Cruizer said and double check for the 120VAC at the primary of the hf coil.
                          The coupling coil is pretty bulletproof and I doubt it has failed but anything is possible. If it's bad, it would be the primary of the coil coming from the hf. If the secondary was bad, the machine wouldn't weld. Isolate the coil and test for continuity. Should be low ohms.

Otherwise we are losing hf through the torch or other bleed area. Tough to find.

If you have or can find another torch to try, that would be great.

Let me know.

a

Comment

Working...
                          X