X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerryk
    replied
    Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    MEK is so dangerous I wont have it in the shop or use it at all.
    *** I was using quite a bit of MEK for a while for aircraft repair. Specifically, for repairing ABS interior parts. You take some old parts, chop them up into bits, dissolve them in MEK = instant ABS cement. And it produces a solvent weld to the broken part, makes it good as new. The technique is approved by the manufacturer.

I stopped using it when I got the Mother of All Migraines from it. Luckily, my window frames were all fixed. If I need to do any more, I'm gonna wear a charcoal mask.

- Jerry Kaidor

Leave a comment:

• engnerdan
    replied
    Originally posted by albertG View Post
    can anybody tell me if MEK is so strong that it can get the natural color out of the aluminum ?
    at my work we tried to clean fat from aluminum before painting it with MEGUM for a pressing procces and the rag(with MEK) got the color that almost similar to the color of the aluminum ?

thanks/.
    Most likely just rubbed some aluminum off. You can do that with almost anything if you run hard enough long enough. You can't remove color from aluminum.

-Dan

Leave a comment:

• albertG
    replied
    hello people

can anybody tell me if MEK is so strong that it can get the natural color out of the aluminum ?
    at my work we tried to clean fat from aluminum before painting it with MEGUM for a pressing procces and the rag(with MEK) got the color that almost similar to the color of the aluminum ?

thanks/.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiky View Post
    100% isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol minus the water! works great and pretty safe. Also great for wasp nests
    I"m just wondering, how did you find out it's good for wasp nest??!!!
    (or should I ask??????)

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    100% isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol minus the water! works great and pretty safe. Also great for wasp nests

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    I don't care for the BOOM factor....

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    MEK as a solvent is very similar, physically, to acetone.

Chemically, it has some nasty behavior that makes it about as bad of a choice for a solvent as benzene - from a health standpoint.

Leave a comment:

• pirana
    replied
    I've got acetone at home but I was asking because we use MEK at work for cleaning paint guns etc. & have plenty of it. We buy 55 gallon drums of the stuff. I'm gonna try out my new 211 on some 3" square tubing & want to make sure it's clean. I'll probably just try acetone because it's not as nasty as MEK.

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    MEK is so dangerous I wont have it in the shop or use it at all. I use acetone or denatured slx alchohol to clean stuff for welding. The acetone works great on aluminum and doesnt affect the tig welding. It's also cheap and readily available at any home center or paint store and doesn't leave any residue behind.

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    Can't tell you it's correct or not correct as there are a difference of opinions here sometimes. I clean aluminum with acetone.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Here's some reading on MEK. I know we had it at work then they took it out...Bob
    http://www.chemical.net/home/safety_mek.htm

Leave a comment:

• Masterofsteel
    replied
    Mek

Boy, MEK would probably clean it, but its so caustic and I try to avoid it.
    There is some stuff called Gold Matrix that is pretty good and made for weld prepping.

Leave a comment:

• pirana
    started a topic MEK For Cleaning Aluminum Question

MEK For Cleaning Aluminum Question

Can anyone tell me if it's alright to clean aluminum with MEK before welding? Our saw at work leaks hydraulic fluid right on the **** blade & I need something to clean it off real good. thanks
Working...
X