MEK For Cleaning Aluminum Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEK For Cleaning Aluminum Question

Can anyone tell me if it's alright to clean aluminum with MEK before welding? Our saw at work leaks hydraulic fluid right on the **** blade & I need something to clean it off real good. thanks

Mek

Boy, MEK would probably clean it, but its so caustic and I try to avoid it.
    There is some stuff called Gold Matrix that is pretty good and made for weld prepping.
    Masterofsteel.com
    Dynasty 200DX
    Handler 135
    Cutmaster 38

Comment

Here's some reading on MEK. I know we had it at work then they took it out...Bob
      http://www.chemical.net/home/safety_mek.htm
      Bob Wright

Comment

Can't tell you it's correct or not correct as there are a difference of opinions here sometimes. I clean aluminum with acetone.
        Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

MEK is so dangerous I wont have it in the shop or use it at all. I use acetone or denatured slx alchohol to clean stuff for welding. The acetone works great on aluminum and doesnt affect the tig welding. It's also cheap and readily available at any home center or paint store and doesn't leave any residue behind.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

I've got acetone at home but I was asking because we use MEK at work for cleaning paint guns etc. & have plenty of it. We buy 55 gallon drums of the stuff. I'm gonna try out my new 211 on some 3" square tubing & want to make sure it's clean. I'll probably just try acetone because it's not as nasty as MEK.

Comment

MEK as a solvent is very similar, physically, to acetone.

Chemically, it has some nasty behavior that makes it about as bad of a choice for a solvent as benzene - from a health standpoint.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
              Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
              "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
              "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
              "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I don't care for the BOOM factor....
                Bobcat 225NT
                Cutmaster 52
                Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                Caterpillar TH63
                '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

100% isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol minus the water! works great and pretty safe. Also great for wasp nests
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Millermatic 175
                  Spectrum 375
                  All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                    100% isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol minus the water! works great and pretty safe. Also great for wasp nests
                    I"m just wondering, how did you find out it's good for wasp nest??!!!
                    (or should I ask??????)
                    I'm not late...
                    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

hello people

can anybody tell me if MEK is so strong that it can get the natural color out of the aluminum ?
                      at my work we tried to clean fat from aluminum before painting it with MEGUM for a pressing procces and the rag(with MEK) got the color that almost similar to the color of the aluminum ?

thanks/.

Comment

Originally posted by albertG View Post
                        can anybody tell me if MEK is so strong that it can get the natural color out of the aluminum ?
                        at my work we tried to clean fat from aluminum before painting it with MEGUM for a pressing procces and the rag(with MEK) got the color that almost similar to the color of the aluminum ?

thanks/.
                        Most likely just rubbed some aluminum off. You can do that with almost anything if you run hard enough long enough. You can't remove color from aluminum.

-Dan
                        Owner
                        DW Metalworks LLC
                        Miller Trailblazer 302
                        Miller 8RC Feeder
                        Miller Passport Plus
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
                        Hobart Handler 135
                        Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
                        Smith O/A Torch Set
                        Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
                          MEK is so dangerous I wont have it in the shop or use it at all.
                          *** I was using quite a bit of MEK for a while for aircraft repair. Specifically, for repairing ABS interior parts. You take some old parts, chop them up into bits, dissolve them in MEK = instant ABS cement. And it produces a solvent weld to the broken part, makes it good as new. The technique is approved by the manufacturer.

I stopped using it when I got the Mother of All Migraines from it. Luckily, my window frames were all fixed. If I need to do any more, I'm gonna wear a charcoal mask.

- Jerry Kaidor

Comment

Working...
                          X