Dynasty 300DX issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 300DX issue

Please if you have a moment!! I have 12) 1st year TIG students all on Dynasty 300DX's. These machines have super high hr's on them, SMA and TIG, everyday usage. There's been 0 issue on DC- with mild steel. Today we switched to AC for Aluminum. Here's the set up. AC, TIG HF Impulse, Remote standard, Pulser/Sequencer OFF, Balance 50%, AC frequency 100. PreFlo .05, PostFlo 1.0. 3/32 Green stripe Pure tungsten, 100 amps. This is the start up setting I have been using for puddling and stringer beads to get started with. 6 or 7 machines several times today would not stabilize an arc. The machine acts like its in a soft start mode and won't come out of it. If you peddle off and on several times the machine will eventually jump arc and immediately stablilize and run fine. Its irratic, guys have issue and I try it and it's fine then after a while it does this again. I had one loose its arc and go into this act, I stopped restarted and it was fine again. Everything is correct that I see, I do know what I"m doing but something tells me there's something I am missing as its happening to frequent with several machines. No error codes!!!! Any ideas of something I'm overlooking would be a great help. Walt
    IVY TECH Community college, Valparaiso Indiana..

Dump the pure tungsten use anything other than pure.
    Add time to post flow. 10 to 15 secs.
    Up your balance percentage 63% to 70% Electrode Negative

If this doesnt help, check your set up parameters. You will need the manual to walk you through the setup. Reset everything to factory.

Comment

Originally posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
      Dump the pure tungsten use anything other than pure.
      Add time to post flow. 10 to 15 secs.
      Up your balance percentage 63% to 70% Electrode Negative

If this doesnt help, check your set up parameters. You will need the manual to walk you through the setup. Reset everything to factory.
      I Will default to factory parameters and try this tomorrow, the set up I mentioned has worked well in the past and the only change is the pure tungsten from previous class's. We have an abundant of the green stripe I"m trying to use up..I"ll try a day of 2% and see as it should hold a more stable arc. I appreciate your response and I"ll give it a try..Thanks

Comment

That type of machine was never designed to run pure tungsten.
        I believe in section 10 of the manual it tells you what tungsten types are to be used in this machine.
        Normally Ceriated (orange) is the most common for inverter use.
        Thoriated (red) will work but is of lower quality and doesn't last as long before the tip contaminates.

Don't ball the tungsten.

Prep it for AC just like DC except not to a pure point. Slightly blunted.

Andy

Comment

My 300dx has done that since new. I've used every type of tungesten, and found it helps to have a freshly prepped lanthanated, but none the less, the ac starts are hard sometimes and if you don't jump on the pedel to get it started and stabilized the machine does go into an error code.

When I first got the machine I did a lot of dc and didn't notice the problem, then after the warranty was up I was doing more aluminum and found it to be a hassel. At first I thought it to have something to do with running the machine on 220 single phase, but that wasn't the case.

I did some reading online and found that there might have been some problems with a circuit board in certain serial numbered 300dx's, but I've never looked into it.

My machine was bought in late 06, and has less than 200 hrs on it, and like I said, it acted up right from the get go.
          Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
          Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Working...
          X