1/4" Cutting hose or 3/8"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" Cutting hose or 3/8"

Does anyone out there run 3/8" hose for oxygen acetylene cutting? We have 1/4" and I am wondering at what point or material thickness do you have to switch to 3/8"?
    5 welding Rigs
    14 various shop weld machines
    150x80 shop full of metal working tools

3/8" O/A Hoses

Mike: It's recommended when using a #6 (Victor) cutting tip, or larger. (6" thick material +)

Be prepared for sticker shock, they're twice as much as 1/4" hose

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Thanks. I figured it was for higher pressure / thicker plate.
      5 welding Rigs

Comment

Larger diameter hoses, with all else being equal, do not handle higher pressure. If you look at the hose ratings its usually reversed - smaller diameter (same wall) handles more pressure. As for acetylene, you will still have the same pressure limitations. That red line at 15 PSI is there because of the sensitivity of acetylene, has nothing to do with hose size. Larger hose is just for higher flow rates.

Next question: Not that I'm going to do it, but at what point do you need bigger regulators? I have what was described to me as "Victor Mediums" and I know I could buy very much larger regulators. Just curious where that line is drawn. I think my largest cutting tip is a #3.

An old timer (moving to Florida) sold me two victor torch sets, an extra victor acetylene regulator (total of 5 regulators), a Harris set (minus the torch body), with a bunch of arc welding helmet inserts all for about $150.

I think I cut two pieces of steel and mostly use it to heat (remove rusty exhaust) and bend a few choice pieces...
        Con Fuse!
        Miller Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEDOGG View Post
          Does anyone out there run 3/8" hose for oxygen acetylene cutting? We have 1/4" and I am wondering at what point or material thickness do you have to switch to 3/8"?
          I have 1/4" lines and have used my Purox torches to cut 2 1/2" plate. You won't need 3/8" lines until you're trying to cut *really* thick stuff.
          Bobcat 225NT
          Cutmaster 52
          Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
          Caterpillar TH63
          '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

The biggest I have cut with 1/4" is four inch and doubt that we will need anything bigger any time soon; at least not until I need it to do some cut outs on a seven inch block of steel to shape out a custom anvil.
            5 welding Rigs

Comment

Working...
            X