melting nozzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melting nozzle?

I recently bought a MM252 and running it hot, melted the black plastic ring that tops the nozzle. Is this ring important? What should I do?
    Attached Files
    Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller Maxstar 150slt
    Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
    Miller MM 212
    Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
    MM 252
    Miller Elite Dig
    Miller Pro-Hobby

You can buy a new shock washer. Mine has been fried for about 3 years and the gun still works fine...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

I have run my gun hot before, but yours looks like it got real hot due to the color of the contact tip, as well and the melted washer. You might want to time your welds a bit to make sure your are in the ballpark of your duty cycle, so that you don't cause undue harm to your machine.

Comment

That black part is called the insulator. Yep, they can melt. Dont burn up your gun.Were you running short arc, glob, or spray? I would switch to a bigger gun if you are going to run it in spray arc.

Comment

If you want to do yourself a favor,get a Bernard Centerfire conversion kit for your gun.It'll take a lot more than that OEM stuff
          Millermatic 252
          Millermatic 180
          Dynasty 200DX
          Hobart spoolmate 3035
          Digital Elite

Comment

If you are running within the duty cycle of the gun, then check your connections. Loose ground clamp, cable to clamp connection, ground cable to machine connection. Check the work cable connections too. Loose connections in the gun can also cause excess heat.
            Will

Comment

thanks for all the info. I am spray arcing running 98/2. I have not heard of a Benard center fire kit?
              Miller TrailBlazer 251NT
              Miller HF-250-1
              Miller Maxstar 150slt
              Miller ft peddles and thumb wheels
              Miller MM 212
              Lincoln power mig180c (two of)
              MM 252
              Miller Elite Dig
              Miller Pro-Hobby

Comment

I hear everyone on a lot of forums rave about the bernard centerfire gun and to be honest I don't like it. My favorite had been the tweco eliminator series gun, maybe because I used that kind at my former employer's for 10 years. Where I work now we have the bernards and I just don't like them....Just my two cents.
                hh 187.:
                powcon 300 st
                cheap chinese plasma cutter
                miller diversion :

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
                  That black part is called the insulator. Yep, they can melt. Dont burn up your gun.Were you running short arc, glob, or spray? I would switch to a bigger gun if you are going to run it in spray arc.
                  See AAmetalmaster's post also. That black part is called the shock washer.
                  The insulator (on a Miller gun) is located inside the nozzle. The insulator may get damaged but it will not melt.

Griff

Comment

Centerfire for M-25

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=16832
                    Originally posted by wagin View Post
                    thanks for all the info. I am spray arcing running 98/2. I have not heard of a Benard center fire kit?
                    Last edited by envano; 03-25-2010, 01:16 PM.
                    Millermatic 252
                    Millermatic 180
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Hobart spoolmate 3035
                    Digital Elite

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                      See AAmetalmaster's post also. That black part is called the shock washer.
                      The insulator (on a Miller gun) is located inside the nozzle. The insulator may get damaged but it will not melt.

Griff
                      Ok, good to know.
                      I don't run the miller guns, but the black rubber part on the bernard gun is called the insulator.
                      I've never heard it called a shock washer

Comment

Working...
                      X