No announcement yet.

Whats the deal with the Diversion 165?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with the Diversion 165?

Hello everyone, I'm still looking to get a TIG welder of some sort. I dont need one thats extreme no need for a Dynasty700, or one thats worth more than my truck. Here is what I been thinking: the Diversion 165 has caught my eye and trying to find good reasons not to buy one. Somebody tell me more about this one. I do know the Dynasty 200 is the better choice. I havent crossed it out yet tho. I am not running a business so repairs and projects are my game. The 165 is rated at 3/16 but anything larger would MIG just fine besides, AL of course. Was actually going to buy the Econotig but noticed the Diversion had made its appearance but, without the stick capabilities. So this stopped my order and created many questions. I do like the inverter, so its gotta be one of those. What I had in mind to do would be some 1/8 AL plate for something such as a fuel tank, some thin tube and steel for motorcycle frame, tanks, fenders. I have never used a smaller welder of any sort, I worked in the machine shop and it was all 3-phase. While in the shop I never seen much thicker than about 3/16 tigged anyway on steel, max on AL was about 3/8. I see alot of people talk bad about the 165 but some talk highly. So tell me what you think about them. Going to order something real soon want it to be the right one for me. Just dont want something bigger than what Ill need and cost twice as much. Thanks for the help!

Well I will be the first here with an opinion I guess. I used one at the factory, and actually thought it was quite nice. I liked the weldcraft torch so much that I bought one for my small Dynasty. What I have found is that people used to the larger or more comlex industrial machines such as a dynasty, find it to be too simple and maybe a little underpowered. For the true hobby person I think its great though, its just a real basic AC/DC Tig setup, for sheet and light work as I think your planning to do. Its kind of like the Ford Model A of Tig machines, may not have bells and whistles, and not very powerful, but its reliable and gets you where you need to go. The 180 version coming out looks more promising as its runs off of either 110v or 220v. For the guy buiding aluminum fuel tanks and that kind of thing I wouldnt hesitate, the torch alone is beautiful for OOP work.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Thanks for being first, you bring very good info. The torch was one of the negatives for me only because I havent used one. I was planning on adding foot control if I went with the Diversion. I did see someone mention the 180 on something. I thought someone got their numbers mixed up. I havent found the place for the "whats new" stuff, or is it just ppl from the factory knows. Add another point for the Diversion. By chance does anyone know when the 180 will be out? Keep the replys coming this is helping alot more than just reading about the machine. I see few want to admit they have a Diversion with all the Dynasty guys here you can PM me to remail anonymous. Thanks again!

Comment

Diversion 165

There's a couple of "testimony" vidoes by Hendrick Motorsports and Stacey David regarding the Diversion 165. Click on the products tab, and follow the links.

Miller's Andy Weyenberg, demonstrates puddle control, filler metal techniques, etc. in another group of videos as well.

The Diversion 180 is listed in Miller's 2010 Catalogue, just not up on their website yet. Not sure when it will be made available to the public.

The 165 lists retail for $1275.00 from Cyberweld
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I just had my LWS check on the 180 a week ago for the fun of it, they said April. The 180 has a much higher list price somewhere around $2000.

-Dan
          Owner
          DW Metalworks LLC
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Miller 8RC Feeder
          Miller Passport Plus
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
          Hobart Handler 135
          Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
          Smith O/A Torch Set
          Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

If you're comparing the Diversion 180 to the Diversion 165, you need to carefully study the output/duty cycle numbers. The dual voltage option is a nice feature, one I've found quite useful on the Dynasty 200.

The difference between the 180 and the 165 are similar to the differences found on the TA 200 and the TA 185. Really very little difference when it comes to "usable" output power.

To me, the Diversion meets the needs of the basic hobbiest welder. For the experienced tigger, the lack of balance control, stick capability, pre/post flow adjustment, freq (arc) control, pulsing, etc, etc would be too limiting.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

165 diversion

Iam a diversion 165 user. when I bought the machine I looked at what I wanted it to do and what I wanted to do with it. my main job I wanted it to do was weld 16 gauge AL. on pontoon boat pontoons. which it does great. because Iam mobile I needed to be able to have it on my truck and not take up too much space. I also needed it to run off of my welders generator which it does . so I gues what Iam saying is figure out what you need to do with the welder and buy it and use it. a larger machine for me would not have worked . they now have a pulser for the diversion and I will be adding that . my 2 cents, diverdown
              sigpic2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Comment

Miller builds good equipment, I support them in most of their products.

I currently do not recommend the Diversion product line to anyone.

Remember the Cadillac Cimarron?

Comment

@diverdown, It kinda surprises me that you use a diversion in a business setting. Most others I have talked to and seen wouldn't have anything less than a dynasty. Even some when you say diversion look at you like you bought a welder from Wal-Mart. Pontoons seem like they would be a bigger job for AL but, I didn't realize they was that thin. This makes me feel more positive about getting it. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Good someone on the negative side. Why do you not recommend a Diversion? Could be that their coming out with the 180 for good reason. Will they have both or was the 165 just a "concept" they made. Please tell more.

Comment

165 Diversion

ever try packing a dynasty down a flite of stairs and then down a sandy beach to weld on a Alum dock. I can run 150 200 feet of extension cord plugged into my welder pack either my 180 auto set mig welder or my 165 Diversion and do the job needed to be done. some say on this forum my machines are to small, but time and time again Iam out there doing the jobs and others are sitting on computers sayinging it can,t be done or they wouldnt do it . like I say it works for ME, it may not work for YOU. would I weld 1/4 Alum. no. but I can weld 3/16 with the mig and 1/8 with the Diversion in the field and make a good $$$ . diverdown
                      sigpic2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Comment

The Dynasty is 5# lighter than the Diversion

A Passport weighs the same as the Dynasty, and the MM 180 weighs 72#

If it works for you, that's all that matters
                        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

OK I goofed, before I get beat up to bad guess I will go back to welding underwater. thanks dave for setting me straight guess I should have looked at the specs. any ideas on a Alum spool gun set up for underwater Alum repair. we could clean up. diverdown

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin835 View Post
                            Hello everyone, I'm still looking to get a TIG welder of some sort. I dont need one thats extreme no need for a Dynasty700, or one thats worth more than my truck. Here is what I been thinking: the Diversion 165 has caught my eye and trying to find good reasons not to buy one. Somebody tell me more about this one. I do know the Dynasty 200 is the better choice. I havent crossed it out yet tho. I am not running a business so repairs and projects are my game. The 165 is rated at 3/16 but anything larger would MIG just fine besides, AL of course. Was actually going to buy the Econotig but noticed the Diversion had made its appearance but, without the stick capabilities. So this stopped my order and created many questions. I do like the inverter, so its gotta be one of those. What I had in mind to do would be some 1/8 AL plate for something such as a fuel tank, some thin tube and steel for motorcycle frame, tanks, fenders. I have never used a smaller welder of any sort, I worked in the machine shop and it was all 3-phase. While in the shop I never seen much thicker than about 3/16 tigged anyway on steel, max on AL was about 3/8. I see alot of people talk bad about the 165 but some talk highly. So tell me what you think about them. Going to order something real soon want it to be the right one for me. Just dont want something bigger than what Ill need and cost twice as much. Thanks for the help!
                            Two great things about the Dynasty over the Diversion are: Dynasty will stick weld great, and it will plug into just about anything (single phase, three-phase, 110 volts to 460). Very portable and has proven to be pretty tough (in my experience), I have had my Dynasty for five years now and am really happy with it.

~Ian
                            :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

Well its looking like it pointing in the direction of the Dynasty 200. I will go ahead and ask does the dynasty do everthing and more you want it too. I see most everbody here has at least one. Whats something yall tried but it was underpowered? Thanks for the replys it pretty much made my mind up on the dynasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X