X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RunownRockstar
    • Mar 2010

Plasma Cutter Info needed

I work for the local fire department and we are looking into adding a plasma cutter to our heavy rescue rig. I'm looking at the 375 and the 625 but I'm not sure which one would work the best with our power supply. We have a 6000 watt generator that has 220. My question is that If I dial the 625 plasma cutter down can I use it with the generator and then If we get to incident and have a better power source we could use it to it max capacity then.
  • KEENAVV
    • Feb 2006

Do you have high volume 70 psi clean air?

Comment

• Railmen
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
      Do you have high volume 70 psi clean air?
      I'm guessing those yellow things they carry on their back with 2200/4500PSI in them might be able to supply 70PSI fairly good...... be good and dry air too.

Besides I think that they are using them for small cuts, like security bars not really needing to make long cuts.

I might be wrong?????????

Railmen
      2007 Trailblazer 302G
      2004 Invision 354MP
      1999 60 series feeder
      2005 Maxstar 200DX
      2007 CST280
      1999 HF 251-1
      older Hobart hefty wire feeder
      Hyperthrem 600
      Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
      had and sold........
      2003 XMT 304CC/CV
      1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
      1963 Lincoln SA200G
      1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
      1970's Lincoln SAE400G
      2 Maxstar's 200DX's
      1 Maxstar 200SD
      CST 280
      2 CST 250
      MM130

Railmen

Comment

• RunownRockstar
        • Mar 2010

Yes like railmen said we have a good supply of air with our SCBA bottles (Each bottle has 87 cu.ft.) and air compressor on the rig. The air compressor is 5.2cfm and is .8 shy of the needed capacity for the 625. As far as use of the unit, it is hard to say. We respond to all types of incidents and could be cutting anything from rebar in tight spaces to components of a collapsed structure.

Comment

• Railmen
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RunownRockstar View Post
          Yes like railmen said we have a good supply of air with our SCBA bottles (Each bottle has 87 cu.ft.) and air compressor on the rig. The air compressor is 5.2cfm and is .8 shy of the needed capacity for the 625. As far as use of the unit, it is hard to say. We respond to all types of incidents and could be cutting anything from rebar in tight spaces to components of a collapsed structure.
          Sorry I use to put the wet stuff on the red stuff too.....

Railmen
          2007 Trailblazer 302G
          2004 Invision 354MP
          1999 60 series feeder
          2005 Maxstar 200DX
          2007 CST280
          1999 HF 251-1
          older Hobart hefty wire feeder
          Hyperthrem 600
          Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
          had and sold........
          2003 XMT 304CC/CV
          1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
          1963 Lincoln SA200G
          1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
          1970's Lincoln SAE400G
          2 Maxstar's 200DX's
          1 Maxstar 200SD
          CST 280
          2 CST 250
          MM130

Railmen

Comment

• cruizer
            • Oct 2004

Probably not the best of ideas, being FIRE fighters and all. In order to cut something, you'll be spraying molten metal around.

Really better off thinking liquid nitrogen to break steel or hydraulic breaker jaws.

Comment

• RunownRockstar
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Probably not the best of ideas, being FIRE fighters and all. In order to cut something, you'll be spraying molten metal around.

Really better off thinking liquid nitrogen to break steel or hydraulic breaker jaws.
              It's just another tool in the toolbox. Obviously we wouldn't be using it if molten slag was going to be an issue.

Comment

• davedarragh
                • Oct 2007

Thermite Cutting System

Might want to check out Thermadyne's ArcAir SLICE Fire and Rescue Cutting System. Search www.thermadyne.com and click on the ArcAir link and tab down to the SLICE system.

Dave
                "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

• RunownRockstar
                  • Mar 2010

Do you know anybody with this product? It seems like it could be difficult to work with in smaller spaces. Looks like it works great if that's not an issue though.

Comment

• FF1809
                    • Jun 2007

Runown,
                    Out of curiosity, what type of Rescue are you trying to equip? What level of training and responce are your members equiped to handle?

The generator, does this also power the lights, fans, vent systems, and saws also needed on the scene?

I think it may be harder to power such a tool than you think. I also wouldnt count on an on-scene power supply being readily available unless its another one of your rigs.

Just some food for thaught, Robbie

Comment

• davinci2010
                      • Feb 2010

Do you know anybody with this product? It seems like it could be difficult to work with in smaller spaces. Looks like it works great if that's not an issue though.
                      I've used the slice system and it works well. You have to hook it up to an oxygen cylinder ( not compressed air ). It will not only cut metal, but concrete, etc. Not the best thing for tight spaces as it blows slag ALL OVER the place! A lot of this finds it's way onto the operator as well. The consumable rods it uses are pretty pricey and don't last long, esp. in heavy cutting.
                      Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

• Bob Miller
                        • May 2010

Yes

The answer to your question is yes, the 625 will operate at reduced input power. With 6000 watts you might be able to cut 1/2" at 6"/min, as that's what the 375 does at 4000 watts or 27 amps out put.
                        At full out put (8000 watts) the 675 will sever 7/8" at 4"/MIN.
                        I just when through something similar with my Trailblazer 302 (9500 watts).
                        I will be able to run my 120amp plasma at 40 amps output, but that's it.
                        Good Luck
                        Bob
                        Millermatic 252 w/30A
                        Big Blue Air Pak
                        Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                        Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                        8-RC
                        Dynasty 200 DX
                        XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                        Millermatic 211
                        Passport Plus
                        Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                        Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                        2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                        SA-200 Black Face '59
                        SA-200 Green Lite '84
                        SA-200 Green Lite '80
                        SA-200 Red Face '69
                        SA-200 Red Face '66
                        SA-200 Green Lite '81
                        '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

• FusionKing
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                          Might want to check out Thermadyne's ArcAir SLICE Fire and Rescue Cutting System. Search www.thermadyne.com and click on the ArcAir link and tab down to the SLICE system.

Dave
                          WOW! that looks like a great product. Imagine you are being rescued and the Fire Dept is jacking around with a plasma cutter running their air lines and rigging power and all that and then slowly sawing thru thick steel to get to you, when with this sucker all you gotta do is light it and go and blow right thru 3" thick steel. You would not need to be very accurate which is something that a with plasma must have....accuracy.
                          I think every junk/scrapyard could use one of these.
                          The fact that it can work while being sprayed with water is nice. I wonder if they are simply saying if you was using a plasma cutter in the same situation you just might get your @$$ shocked into the future?
                          I am sure those rods are not cheap but neither is the time wasted saving a life.
                          Just the fact that this product is coming from a source that mfgs cutting torches and plasma cutters says a great deal to me.
                          At the very least I would have companies come and DEMO these machines to make an informed decision.
                          I believe Fire and Rescue needs every tool known to man when the time comes so good luck in deciding, and please keep us updated on you decision

P.S. Dave...how do you continually FIND all this stuff???? You and Brocoli could start a biz just making suggestions to companies on what the heck to do!!!
                          Last edited by FusionKing; 06-16-2010, 06:32 AM. Reason: the normal thing....poorer than normal spelling

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                          X