No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'lousy' category for Harbor Freight is much bigger than the 'good.' But their US General tool boxes are pretty good. And they're on sale right now. I got this 13-drawer unit for $271 with the current sale price and a 20% off coupon you can find online or in a lot of their fliers. I used it as a base for this workbench:

You can see I repainted it to match my old Craftsman boxes.

The HF box is much better built than my Craftsmans. I'm pretty sure both are currently made in China.

As you can see, I've also picked up a few of their throw-away grinders. For $12-$15, it's a pretty easy decision for a home hobbyist.
    Jack Olsen
    The Garage(And its slideshow)
    The Car(And its slideshow)

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
      I like to stroll thru there every now and then. Picked up some rubber air hose on sale last time.
      The local HF has "goodyear" rubber air hose. At least its a brand name.

With HF, its not 'if' the tool will fail, but when and what kind of jam will it leave you in. As someone else said, if you are rich, and can afford the time (expen$e) to go back and forth to HF and attempt to either order repair parts or simply buy a new one - go for it.

The tools I buy from them only have to work once. I think every tool I have from them has been 'adjusted' to make it work. Again, if you can afford the time go for it.

You have to understand that I do most of my work after hours, and frequently after 9:00pm - If a tool fails, whatever I'm working on will not get fixed till the next evening. If its a vital thing (say plumbing on the house or brakes on the car) I will be taking a day off to get the right tool and finishing the job in the morning. In a few hours I will have burned the equivalent in vacation hours to easily have paid for the right tool!

So, if I need a small, right angle die grinder, I can buy the Chinese one from Home Depot, or the Chinese one from HF for about 1/3 the price. The HD one might have nicer rubber grips. If I have time, I hit the internet and order the IR one. Usually I buy the HF one, then wait till it breaks, and then buy the IR one. Some of those die grinders seem to last forever (if you don't mind the leaking oil)

Anything that requires accuracy, or a sharp edge should not be purchased from HF. As for welders, yes, some people will swear that they work, however every weld I've ever seen in person looks like crap (and that's coming from me, a rank amateur) - better stock up on grinding disks.
      Con Fuse!
      Miller Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

This sure looks like a good buy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94336
        hh 187.:
        powcon 300 st
        cheap chinese plasma cutter
        miller diversion :

Comment

Originally posted by down19992000 View Post
          sorry but i think i would avoid ANY hood (wether passive or with an ADF) for less then $12. but that is just me!
          American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
          Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

No HF for me.

Well we all no HF is no snap on but one thing yall need to watch that i got F'ed over on is, The small Co2 tank for welding check the date that should be stamped on it if it dose not have one DON'T BUY IT no welding gas company will fill them, if it dose have all the info on it make shure it dose not expire any time soon. Reason is I baught one didnt have a day so i could not get it filled so i went back and got one they would fill but 3 monthes latter it was out of date and had to be Hydo tested before it could be filled but guess what it woudl not pass.

Not saying don't buy it. Hey if you need it quick fast and cheep go for it.
            Just cause I ain't old don't mean I ain't old school.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
            -Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr-

If you don't like the sparks and flame you can always be a desk jocky pencil pusher.

You soul better belong to jesus because your @$$ belongs to me.
            -MEGADETH-

Comment

Originally posted by down19992000 View Post
              After seeing that I had to order one. $19.90 shipped. I'll compare it to my $50 HF and my Miller BWE.

Comment

Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
                After seeing that I had to order one. $19.90 shipped. I'll compare it to my $50 HF and my Miller BWE.
                I did the same thing the most that will happen is it wont work. It won't take but a second to find out....
                hh 187.:
                powcon 300 st
                miller diversion :

Comment

I got my autodarkening helmet in yesterday from harbor freight and it works great. I like the large viewing window in it. I noticed if you try to click on the link again it says the item is sold out or no longer available must have been a clearance item or a clerical error, either way I am happy for less than $20 shipped.
                  hh 187.:
                  powcon 300 st
                  miller diversion :

Comment

Working...
                  X