No announcement yet.

Bobcat 250 NT TIG Setup-can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 250 NT TIG Setup-can it be done?

Howdy my flux inhaling brethren,

My uncle has a Bobcat 250 NT Welder/Generator that I frequently use. I've been wanting to start doing some aluminum work and I noticed that this particular machine has a TIG setting on the control dial. My question is: What would be the optimal accessory(-ies) to achieve this capability? Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks good folks,

David

As far as I know it won't do aluminum off that machine you can how ever do mild steel and stainless I have a Bobcat 250 with a TiG set up but it's a pain in the rear on the tungsten because I actually have to strike the arc to get it going.

But maybe some of the others will chime in and confirm if your NT will do aluminum or not.

Peace Out!
    CH!
    Last edited by CrazyHorse!; 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Going to need an Hf generator of some sort to keep your arc stable.

Comment

Just not worth it.

I have a Bobcat 250 NT I looked into this very same thing it just cost more than I could see as being reasonable.
        Just cause I ain't old don't mean I ain't old school.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
        -Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr-

If you don't like the sparks and flame you can always be a desk jocky pencil pusher.

You soul better belong to jesus because your @$$ belongs to me.
        -MEGADETH-

Comment

Ya will need the HF251 attachment to do aluminum.
          The Bobcat will weld aluminum just fine.
          Touch starts for tiging steels isn't very kind to the tungsten, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Michael
          Last edited by Michael Rogers; 03-09-2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I did aluminum for about 9-10 years with my bobcat 225NT.
            You need a freek box. The miller one is HF-251. If you get it with the internal contactor then you can have a remote button on the torch to start the arc.
            The only way you can adjust the amperage is to walk back to the machine and change it.
            This is not the best set-up in the world but it works ok and I did a lot of good work and made a bunch of money....like over $50,000 a year with mine

Then I joined this forum and realized I was WAY WAY WAY behind!!! You can simply buy a 200 Dynasty and run it off of you Bobcat and have full control of the arc. You will spend a couple thousand rigging your Bobber unless you find used equipment or you can get brave and spend some more and give yourself the option to have a machine that will go just about anywhere and run off of about any voltage, including your Bobcat when needed. I did just that this month.
            My Dynasty has saved me hundreds, maybe thousands of hrs on the Bobber. In fact so much so I quit carrying it on my rig and put it on a trailer. I do mobile marine repair of aluminum and have a bunch of pigtails made to use the customers electric.
            So yes you can do it, but there are better ways. I even run the stick from the Dynasty on the Bobcat...it is just that much sweeter

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

That Dynasty looks like a sweet setup, and the frequency box is an economic option as well. That gives me somewhere to start looking...

Thanks for all the useful info fellers

David

Comment

If you look at Craig's List, there will be 251's on there now and again for around 3-500 clams. I missed one at a yard sale for 150 once...friend didn't think I would have wanted it.
                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                '06 12RC feeder
                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                Esab Multimaster 260
                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                X