in need of some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in need of some advice

having some trouble welding 3/8 lap joint with a single pass no weaving i've droped the gun angle to the point that the nozzle is just resting on the bottom plate and wire pointed down so the arc starts on the bottom plate i've ran anywhere fromm 400ipm to 600ipm and 21 to 24volts the problem bieng i can't get the top edge to fill in nicely if anyone could offer some advice that would help me that would be appreciated.
    .035 wire and 90-8-2 gas mixClick image for larger version

Name:	weld.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	528152
    Last edited by clifford544; 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM.

Too low volts for 3/8

Hi Cliff,you want to try something more like 26-27 volts and your 600 IPM.The reason it's not filling up is IMO you're running too cold to make the puddle wet as far as it needs to,
    Frank

If you need to slow things down to get used to it;volts @ 26 & IPM @ 475 will work...
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Comment

in need of some advice

thanks frank the 26v and 475ipm that would put me in spray and the other would be short circuit right my angle of my gun is probaly correct to push the puddle up

Comment

Originally posted by clifford544 View Post
        thanks frank the 26v and 475ipm that would put me in spray and the other would be short circuit right my angle of my gun is probaly correct to push the puddle up
        No both would be short-arc but just @ 600 you'll need to move,really move.Try it,but i cant be held responsible if you find yourself having too much fun And for many applications i prefer to push just to see better
        Millermatic 252
        Millermatic 180
        Dynasty 200DX
        Hobart spoolmate 3035
        Digital Elite

Comment

looks like you are pushing the puddle too much, angle the gun 40 to 45% from the bottom plate and keep the wire straight in but slightly dragging it, just a little, letting it build up, all that spatta will end up as a weld, most problems come from gun angle/speed more then settings, settings are obvious, either it welds or it dosent in short arc mode

Comment

in need of some advice

will try that and post some pic

Comment

mmmm.....try to keep the gun angled 15 degrees or so and pull it.....centered 45 degrees between top and bottom plates.....what are u using for wire? Type, size? If it's burning nice with no spatter you may just need to crank the wire up a bit. If you are too hot to begin with and crank the wire up you will undercut even worse...Dave
              Originally posted by kevin View Post
              looks like you are pushing the puddle too much, angle the gun 40 to 45% from the bottom plate and keep the wire straight in but slightly dragging it, just a little, letting it build up, all that spatta will end up as a weld, most problems come from gun angle/speed more then settings, settings are obvious, either it welds or it dosent in short arc mode

Comment

in need of some advice

.035 solid wire

Comment

in need of some advice

tried 27 volts and 480ipm for me was just about spray arc and tried 25volts and 520ipm which is on the left i slowed my travel speed down as much as i could once again no weave the weld are circled with chalk Click image for larger version

Name:	weld pic 2.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	507503

Click image for larger version

Name:	weld pic 3.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	507504

Comment

3/8" Fillet

Get rid of that baby wire and get some bigger stuff.

You are out of the wires range.
                    Bobcat 225
                    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
                    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Comment

in need of some advice

but 3/8 is to small for multi pass to get the proper weld size right? if not explain please

Comment

turbo, why are you busting my nuts, you know what i meant

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                          turbo, why are you busting my nuts, you know what i meant
                          Wasn't busting nuts.....I didn't see everything you typed. My bad. But, setup is what seperates a good welder from a great welder. Practice......set the voltage up so you don't have much spatter(try to use the wire manufacturers recommendations)......then set the wire to work with the voltage. It's not as easy as some of the "goongun naysayers" say..........it's an art to set things up preoperly....Dave

Comment

in need of some advice

heres a question what should spray arc sound like can anyone descibe it i have been reading and know i'm not so sure anymore i thought it sounds very quiet almost a humm but know i think my volts are to high any ideas or does that just apply to the short circuit range of wire speed
                            Last edited by clifford544; 03-07-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

spray arc sounds just like the name implies. put a nozzle on a garden hose and set it to a fan spray. sounds pretty much just like it.
                              sigpic
                              Miller Trailblazer 302
                              Smith Torch Outfit
                              Lots of Grinders
                              Miller Elite Autodark Hood
                              O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X