Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jew144
    replied
    I have used Dewalt, Makita,and have 3 Bosch's now. They are all comparable and like ace said you need to uof them as consumables when they die go find the one you can get the best deal on at the time. Happy Grinding!

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied
    Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
    Guys,
    When It wears out you just junk it, and get another one. I'm not going to loose sleep over it, that's just part of owning a business.

-Ryan
    When looking at Bosch's site, I notice they sell grinders in 10 packs

Leave a comment:

• ace4059
    replied
    I also want to add, wire wheels, especially the cheap ones that are NOT balanced, tend to wear out grinders faster.

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied
    Home depot dropping bosch grinders....

Web site doesn't have them anymore (they do carry other Bosch tools though).

So I went to the local HD, and they had only the floor model left. This was a light duty with the switch knocked off. I asked the manager what he could do and he let me have it for $10. So $49 - $39. Not bad for a disposable. The switch was a $1.39 - shipping was $8 so I've got $20 in it.

Leave a comment:

• ace4059
    replied
    Guys,
    What most of yall don't understand is, grinders are a consumable item. It doesn't matter what brand you have, they will eventually all wear out. Just some faster than other. Right now in current operation, I have 11 of the smaller grinders (4-1/2" , 5" and some 6" ones) and I have 3 of the larger grinders (7" -9" ones). Yes they do wear out and break. You just have to spend the money and replace them. I look at it like this. Gun liners, or nozzles are consumables but they don't need to be replaced as fast as sand paper, grinding disc, or contact tips. But the nozzles, and gun liners, do wear out and need to be replaced. Same as the grinder itself. When It wears out you just junk it, and get another one. I'm not going to loose sleep over it, that's just part of owning a business.

Second. a lot can be done to extend the grinders' life (the Dewalt, Makita, Bosch etc.... not the persons life, but yes safety precautions do need to be followed). Don't use a 4-1/2" grinder to do the work of a 7" or 9" grinder. I see people all the time take a small 4-1/2" grinder start it up and bear down on it. Like they are putting all their weight on this little grinder. That will break/kill/ or wear out the grinder very quickly. If you need to grind that much material where you are having to really "lean" into and bear down, go get the 9" grinder.

But the ones I like are the 4-1/2" 10amp Dewalts with the paddle switch. They seem to be the right size to fit your hand, have some power, are cheap, and last "long enough".

-Ryan

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    A while ago I picked up a HF air power grinder. It doesn't match any of the commonly available accessories as far as bolt size.

The Dewalt adapter is just barely the wrong thread pitch. I ended up tapping the the adapter and effectively gluing it on with thread lock. Now I can use standard accessories on the HF one.

I needed to wire brush a long dual exhaust system, figured I'd burn up the electric motor long before I finished. My biggest concern now is the (*$%&($ HF crimped wire brush attachments keep sending wires in all directions. Full face shield and keep the kids/dog away!

Which begs the question, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of gloves to use when wire brushing. Needs to be good at stopping the poking through of those little wires. I use an old pair of Tillman TIG gloves but they are a little small (OK to grab the torch). The mechanic's wear gloves are junk when it comes to this (For $20 shouldn't they be better?)
    Wrap a couple of heavy duty rubber bands around the bristles just below the cup. It won't stop them from coming out, but it does slow the velocity way down when they do.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    A while ago I picked up a HF air power grinder. It doesn't match any of the commonly available accessories as far as bolt size.

The Dewalt adapter is just barely the wrong thread pitch. I ended up tapping the the adapter and effectively gluing it on with thread lock. Now I can use standard accessories on the HF one.

I needed to wire brush a long dual exhaust system, figured I'd burn up the electric motor long before I finished. My biggest concern now is the (*$%&($ HF crimped wire brush attachments keep sending wires in all directions. Full face shield and keep the kids/dog away!

Which begs the question, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of gloves to use when wire brushing. Needs to be good at stopping the poking through of those little wires. I use an old pair of Tillman TIG gloves but they are a little small (OK to grab the torch). The mechanic's wear gloves are junk when it comes to this (For $20 shouldn't they be better?)
    old fashoned stick gloves work pretty good

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Fits Like a Glove"

Pigskin Gloves. They're naturally oil and abrasion resistant. They are usually listed as "driver's gloves." Goatskin are also very comfortable and tough in the shop.

Nice thing, as they are only around $6.50/pr. I buy mine from RAM.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FabTech
    replied
    That was simple thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Also, Pnu, pne, pnuem uh Air Tools require quite a bit of Air so even the biggest home geerage Compressor would be working all the time to try and keep up with the demand.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Originally posted by FabTech View Post
    Why are electric grinders used more than air?
    In field welding, auxillary electric power is more common than compressed air.

Leave a comment:

• FabTech
    replied
    Now I see how important is to have a couple of angle grinders. When I tackled that big project of mine (the welding table) I was always changing from a cut-off to flap. Yesterday picked up another 4 ½” 8.5 amp Milwaukee
    Why are electric grinders used more than air?

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    A contrary opinion, sorry Jeff. I've bought every brand out there, the big reds ones are ok, just heavy. The little red ones, more than a couple, just last fifteen minutes, make smoke, get tossed. Yellow? at least they are easy to find, and cheap, by the time you collect enough of them, you have enough parts given the time, to construct your own grinder. Bosch is the only grinder I buy today, both big and little. Majority of the time, only repairs needed is shortening the already "short" cord, because of a broke or burned wire. Not sure if there is a difference, between commercial outlets and the box stores, but I generally buy thru real dealers.

I tried a metabo once, it's in the pile also
    I get mine from Industrial supply houses. Got educated on consumer stuff a long time ago.

I agree on the big red grinders, too heavy. The best 9" made? The B&D Wildcat.

We used to have an old Caterpillar engine with a hand start pony engine. I had a pulley to put on a grinder to use a v belt to start it. The Bosch couldn't turn it. A new 15 amp Dewalt barely could. My old Wildcat just rolled it over like nothing.

I do have a red 10 amp 4 1/2" that has been good. I'm too cheap to try a Metabo.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Robert Bosch Corporation

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with BOSCH? I am thinking of getting a grinder for my welding as a hobby.
    Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Skil, Dremel, Roto-Zip, Vermont American, Glimour, David White & CST/Berger are all owned by the Robert Bosch Corporation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X