Bosch grinders???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    A while ago I picked up a HF air power grinder. It doesn't match any of the commonly available accessories as far as bolt size.

The Dewalt adapter is just barely the wrong thread pitch. I ended up tapping the the adapter and effectively gluing it on with thread lock. Now I can use standard accessories on the HF one.

I needed to wire brush a long dual exhaust system, figured I'd burn up the electric motor long before I finished. My biggest concern now is the (*$%&($ HF crimped wire brush attachments keep sending wires in all directions. Full face shield and keep the kids/dog away!

Which begs the question, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of gloves to use when wire brushing. Needs to be good at stopping the poking through of those little wires. I use an old pair of Tillman TIG gloves but they are a little small (OK to grab the torch). The mechanic's wear gloves are junk when it comes to this (For $20 shouldn't they be better?)
    Wrap a couple of heavy duty rubber bands around the bristles just below the cup. It won't stop them from coming out, but it does slow the velocity way down when they do.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Guys,
      What most of yall don't understand is, grinders are a consumable item. It doesn't matter what brand you have, they will eventually all wear out. Just some faster than other. Right now in current operation, I have 11 of the smaller grinders (4-1/2" , 5" and some 6" ones) and I have 3 of the larger grinders (7" -9" ones). Yes they do wear out and break. You just have to spend the money and replace them. I look at it like this. Gun liners, or nozzles are consumables but they don't need to be replaced as fast as sand paper, grinding disc, or contact tips. But the nozzles, and gun liners, do wear out and need to be replaced. Same as the grinder itself. When It wears out you just junk it, and get another one. I'm not going to loose sleep over it, that's just part of owning a business.

Second. a lot can be done to extend the grinders' life (the Dewalt, Makita, Bosch etc.... not the persons life, but yes safety precautions do need to be followed). Don't use a 4-1/2" grinder to do the work of a 7" or 9" grinder. I see people all the time take a small 4-1/2" grinder start it up and bear down on it. Like they are putting all their weight on this little grinder. That will break/kill/ or wear out the grinder very quickly. If you need to grind that much material where you are having to really "lean" into and bear down, go get the 9" grinder.

But the ones I like are the 4-1/2" 10amp Dewalts with the paddle switch. They seem to be the right size to fit your hand, have some power, are cheap, and last "long enough".

-Ryan

Comment

Home depot dropping bosch grinders....

Web site doesn't have them anymore (they do carry other Bosch tools though).

So I went to the local HD, and they had only the floor model left. This was a light duty with the switch knocked off. I asked the manager what he could do and he let me have it for $10. So $49 - $39. Not bad for a disposable. The switch was a $1.39 - shipping was $8 so I've got $20 in it.
        Con Fuse!
        Miller Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

I also want to add, wire wheels, especially the cheap ones that are NOT balanced, tend to wear out grinders faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
            Guys,
            When It wears out you just junk it, and get another one. I'm not going to loose sleep over it, that's just part of owning a business.

-Ryan
            When looking at Bosch's site, I notice they sell grinders in 10 packs
            Con Fuse!
            Miller Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
            Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
            Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

I have used Dewalt, Makita,and have 3 Bosch's now. They are all comparable and like ace said you need to uof them as consumables when they die go find the one you can get the best deal on at the time. Happy Grinding!
              mm251 w/ 30amp spool gun
              diversion 165
              mm140
              Hypertherm powermax 45

Comment

Working...
              X