Bosch grinders???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeWalt probably the best for the money

Makitas tend to have broken gears and spindle locks. DeWalt switches tend to smoke out eventually or suddenly stop working. Nevertheless, we use them everyday and they last 3-5 months. I successfully repaired 7 or 8 last year, and we tossed out about that many also.
    Milwaukee's are about $15 or $20 more so my employer doesn't buy them, I guess.

Comment

I have a 6" Metabo for cut-off disc and a couple HF cheepo's for flap disc and grinding wheels.

I am curious about this ridgid 4 1/2.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R1005-An...r/EN/index.htm

Has anyone tried this yet. I really like the way it feels and the weight isn't to bad. BUT I don't want to drop 100 bucks for a turd.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
      Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
      Clarke 180 EN Just in case
      Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
      O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
      Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
      4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
      Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
      Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
      I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
      http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

ridgid has a lifetime warranty on all their internals dont they?

Comment

I never broke a grinder, i have 3 DeWalt and the top line feedback milwaukee. I don't understand how so many kill them so quickly. I know lots of guys do heavy work but you need to stay within a tools capability. I never liked Bosch since we used to wreck bulldog hammer drills with 1/2" bits, the armature gear would strip. Never saw hard use either.

I'm generally disgruntled though since NOTHING is American made or of exceptional quality anymore. I think i might try a FEIN next.
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 175
          Spectrum 375
          All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

well i have a Milwaukee 4.5" that i have used for about 10 yrs on the farm and it keeps on working even though i have replaced the paddle switch a couple of times and a couple sets of brushes. i bought a Hitachi 4.5" a couple of yrs ago and i love that sucker. it is by far the most comfortable grinder in the hand to use. i would have to look at it to see what model it is but its has the forward angle side handle and it is much easier to bear down on than my straight side handle grinders.
            miller 225 bobcat
            miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
            mm175, mm211, TA181i
            mm252 w/30a spool gun
            precision tig 225
            hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
            Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
            hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
            victor journeyman & super range
            ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
            steel max and evolution carbide saws
            6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
            case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
            if first you don't succeed
            trash the b#####d

Comment

Got it!

It came today along with welding gloves and a welding helmet/visor.
              Just need gas and i'm good to go.
              Will be building a cart first of all.

Thanks for all the advice and help so far.
              Attached Files

Comment

Robert Bosch Corporation

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
                Does anyone have any experience with BOSCH? I am thinking of getting a grinder for my welding as a hobby.
                Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
                Skil, Dremel, Roto-Zip, Vermont American, Glimour, David White & CST/Berger are all owned by the Robert Bosch Corporation.
                "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                  A contrary opinion, sorry Jeff. I've bought every brand out there, the big reds ones are ok, just heavy. The little red ones, more than a couple, just last fifteen minutes, make smoke, get tossed. Yellow? at least they are easy to find, and cheap, by the time you collect enough of them, you have enough parts given the time, to construct your own grinder. Bosch is the only grinder I buy today, both big and little. Majority of the time, only repairs needed is shortening the already "short" cord, because of a broke or burned wire. Not sure if there is a difference, between commercial outlets and the box stores, but I generally buy thru real dealers.

I tried a metabo once, it's in the pile also
                  I get mine from Industrial supply houses. Got educated on consumer stuff a long time ago.

I agree on the big red grinders, too heavy. The best 9" made? The B&D Wildcat.

We used to have an old Caterpillar engine with a hand start pony engine. I had a pulley to put on a grinder to use a v belt to start it. The Bosch couldn't turn it. A new 15 amp Dewalt barely could. My old Wildcat just rolled it over like nothing.

I do have a red 10 amp 4 1/2" that has been good. I'm too cheap to try a Metabo.
                  Jeff

Comment

Now I see how important is to have a couple of angle grinders. When I tackled that big project of mine (the welding table) I was always changing from a cut-off to flap. Yesterday picked up another 4 ½” 8.5 amp Milwaukee
                    Why are electric grinders used more than air?
                    Fab Tech

Comment

Originally posted by FabTech View Post
                      Why are electric grinders used more than air?
                      In field welding, auxillary electric power is more common than compressed air.

Comment

Also, Pnu, pne, pnuem uh Air Tools require quite a bit of Air so even the biggest home geerage Compressor would be working all the time to try and keep up with the demand.
                        Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

That was simple thanks guys
                          Fab Tech

Comment

A while ago I picked up a HF air power grinder. It doesn't match any of the commonly available accessories as far as bolt size.

The Dewalt adapter is just barely the wrong thread pitch. I ended up tapping the the adapter and effectively gluing it on with thread lock. Now I can use standard accessories on the HF one.

I needed to wire brush a long dual exhaust system, figured I'd burn up the electric motor long before I finished. My biggest concern now is the (*$%&($ HF crimped wire brush attachments keep sending wires in all directions. Full face shield and keep the kids/dog away!

Which begs the question, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of gloves to use when wire brushing. Needs to be good at stopping the poking through of those little wires. I use an old pair of Tillman TIG gloves but they are a little small (OK to grab the torch). The mechanic's wear gloves are junk when it comes to this (For $20 shouldn't they be better?)
                            Con Fuse!
                            Miller Dynasty 350
                            Millermatic 350P
                            -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                            Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                            Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

"Fits Like a Glove"

Pigskin Gloves. They're naturally oil and abrasion resistant. They are usually listed as "driver's gloves." Goatskin are also very comfortable and tough in the shop.

Nice thing, as they are only around $6.50/pr. I buy mine from RAM.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                                A while ago I picked up a HF air power grinder. It doesn't match any of the commonly available accessories as far as bolt size.

The Dewalt adapter is just barely the wrong thread pitch. I ended up tapping the the adapter and effectively gluing it on with thread lock. Now I can use standard accessories on the HF one.

I needed to wire brush a long dual exhaust system, figured I'd burn up the electric motor long before I finished. My biggest concern now is the (*$%&($ HF crimped wire brush attachments keep sending wires in all directions. Full face shield and keep the kids/dog away!

Which begs the question, does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of gloves to use when wire brushing. Needs to be good at stopping the poking through of those little wires. I use an old pair of Tillman TIG gloves but they are a little small (OK to grab the torch). The mechanic's wear gloves are junk when it comes to this (For $20 shouldn't they be better?)
                                old fashoned stick gloves work pretty good
                                American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
                                Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

Working...
                                X