• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buk
    • Mar 2010

no amp control... econotig..

hello all!

i recently bought a used miller econotig.. and there is no amperage control at all via the foot pedal or hand control...

i have the weld process switch set to gtaw... and the range/polarity switch set to dcen..

i have a foot pedal as well as a hand control.. and neither of them are allowing me to change amperage.. they are more like an on/off switch.. weather i press the foot pedal a little or all the way it puts out the same (what i assume to be) 100% output

the same goes for the hand control..

basically the metal is over heating.. and glowing red hot.. with the arc jumping all over the place and burning holes through the material.. (from what i assume to be too much amperage)

my welding scd10 ss pipe..

this is my first time welding.. but i know im supposed to have control over the amperage.. not just an on off switch..

local welding supply store wants 70 bucks just to look at the welder..

online manual says to clean out the inside of the welder.. i may try this in a little bit.. but from what i see online this is a common problem with econotigs..

^^ this guy apparently fixed his problem..

im trying to contact the person i bought it from but i doubt ill get any help from him..

thanks..
    jay
  • Hillbilly69
    • Feb 2009

Amp Control

Turn knob 4 to the left!
    Bobcat 225
    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Comment

• buk
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Hillbilly69 View Post
      Turn knob 4 to the left!
      i wish it were that easy!

knob 4 is inactive in tig mode.. its only used for stick welder mode..

well im hoping this is my only problem.. i dont see any scorch marks on the board but i wont be for sure till i start to clean out the welder..

a simple air can will not clean this up.. can i use electronic parts cleaner to just spray the entire inside of the machine?

electonic parts cleaner is like brake parts cleaner.. propably the same thing.. non conductive.. and i wont turn on the machine till im sure that its 100% dry.. maybe 2 cans of electronic parts cleaner then 1 can of air to make sure its 100% dry?

Comment

• buk
        • Mar 2010

Comment

• buk
          • Mar 2010

Comment

• cruizer
            • Oct 2004

Your "D" pin appears to be missing on your amphenol, thus no control. Find it and shove it back in.

Comment

• buk
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Your "D" pin appears to be missing on your amphenol, thus no control. Find it and shove it back in.

thanks for the reply!

i just ran over and checked it out and there doesnt appear to be any missing pins from inside the welder..

like this picture shows..

all the wires are already connected and the one that goes under there is connected to something else..

the bunched wires that lead to the pins are ziptied together so it doesnt look like there was a wire there before either..

but i looked at the foot control plug and it has 5 pins.. but only 4 on the machine!

i have more pictures i took that are uploading now

Comment

• buk
                • Mar 2010

pictures uploaded..

i looked at the back of the connector..

as you can see all the wires go somewhere.. doesnt look like there are any loose wires...

the wire that runs down along the bottom of the welder connects to something on the other side

Comment

• buk
                  • Mar 2010

only thing out of place on the welder.. that i could see.. was this wire connector that didnt have a wire connected.. but who knows maybe thats how its supposed to be..

Comment

• engnerdan
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by buk View Post

Wrong it is not, that is why there is a break down below the knob of how many amps you are running at each number. If you set it to 100 amps on dc when you floor the pedal to max you will get 100 amps but at half pedal it should be about 50 and so on. So if knob 4 is turned all the way up you are getting the least amount of control.

Next thing you did not say what tungsten you are using, what gas you are using. So lets start there.

With Sch 10 stainless I would set my amp knob at 70-80%, gas flow at 20CFH, us 3/32 red tungsten sharpened to a point. Is this what you are doing?

One other thing did you make sure you have gas coming out of the end of the torch?

-Dan
                    Last edited by engnerdan; 03-07-2010, 03:05 PM.
                    Owner
                    DW Metalworks LLC
                    Miller Trailblazer 302
                    Miller 8RC Feeder
                    Miller Passport Plus
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
                    Hobart Handler 135
                    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
                    Smith O/A Torch Set
                    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

• buk
                      • Mar 2010

[QUOTE=engnerdan;228045]

QUOTE]

Wrong it is not, that is why there is a break down below the knob of how many amps you are running at each number. If you set it to 100 amps on dc when you floor the pedal to max you will get 100 amps but at half pedal it should be about 50 and so on. So if knob 4 is turned all the way up you are getting the least amount of control.

Next thing you did not say what tungsten you are using, what gas you are using. So lets start there.

With Sch 10 stainless I would set my amp knob at 70-80%, gas flow at 20CFH, us 3/32 red tungsten sharpened to a point. Is this what you are doing?

One other thing did you make sure you have gas coming out of the end of the torch?

-Dan
                      but why does the manual says

4. Amperage Control

This control does not work in GRAW (TIG) mode. Use control for Stick when Weld Process switch is in stick position
                      i dont know.. this is confusing.. it even has the stick welding mode icon right under the knob.. eitherway there was no difference when i changed the knob weather i set it to 0 or 100..
                      Last edited by buk; 03-06-2010, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• buk
                        • Mar 2010

just hosed off the entire machine with sensitive electronic parts cleaner.. can beileve i paid 6 bucks a can and it took 2 cans.. should have just went with the brake parts cleaner...

oh well..

machine is about 80% cleaner.. i just made sure i got all the knobs and switches good (the current type selector actually feels alot better now)

anyone have a miller econotig? can you take a picture of the connector for the amp control? do you have the d pin?

Comment

• buk
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                          wiring diagram shows d pin is not used... page 11

im using 3/32nd red tungsten...

using 100% argon

Comment

• Broccoli1
                            • Dec 2007

[QUOTE=engnerdan;228045]

QUOTE]

-Dan
                            Dan,

Not so on the early Econotigs-- as stated in the manual-- that the Knob does not work in GTAW- The FC would be 0-100% of the machine's power.
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• cruizer
                              • Oct 2004

wiring diagram shows d pin is not used... page 11

im using 3/32nd red tungsten...

using 100% argon
                              Gottaa start looking at the diagrams before I post..... whoops

Comment

Working...
                              X