Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodydropcris
    replied
    i'll probably swap out that board with my work machine (i love working in a small shop!) and see if it works that way... so which board is the control board? where is it in relation to the machine? is it in the top?

Leave a comment:

• weldersales
    replied
    The control board is the large board mounted just above the two paired contactors - should end in 752 or 763 as I recall. We will run several of these machines through the shop next week and if you send us your board we will test it in known good XMT for nothing. The deal is not quite as good for the display board since it is so much trouble to take in/out. We have both boards in stock new, used, and rebuilt. weldersales

Leave a comment:

• bodydropcris
    replied
    i checked all the connections on both ends of everything hooked to that + output.. still same problem..

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    True, but he's not pulling an error, machine is going wide open, since his gages go up and down & contactor is working then not likely to be a display board. If anything the control board is wonky.

Leave a comment:

• weldersales
    replied
    Xmt304

The machine in your picture is a 2000 model. If the model is 903471,it is a 230/460 unit. No matter what you do, it sounds like you are on to a very good deal.If you like, PM us and we will give you several suggested checks, but the most likely problem area is on the other side. weldersales

Leave a comment:

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    Take it to a service shop and pay for an hour of diagnosis.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Unplug your connectors and replug them, the Hall is the blue thingy near the front in behind that output stud.

Leave a comment:

• bodydropcris
    replied
    sadly, ive tried operating it in both modes, the voltage will change on the display using the machines knob, and using the wire feeders knob, but its at max output no matter if it says 10v or 28v...

i wouldnt mind dropping 800-1000 bucks to get this machine running tip top because i can get the inverter and a 60 series feeder for free, so if any of you techs on this board think it can be repaired for under a grand i'll just send one off through our weld supply company..
    Last edited by bodydropcris; 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    replied
    may be a dumb question....but

have you checked the front panel to make sure its on 'panel' not 'remote' for the voltage selector? the ones that ive used go wide open when they are on remote... just askin.

Leave a comment:

• bodydropcris
    replied
    hmm.. i have no clue where the hall is.. i wonder if i should send one of these off to be repaired.. would be nice if it was something i could fix myself. from what i understand these machines were working fine, then come in the next day, turn them on, and they are running at max output no matter what you set the voltage to.

this is inside the left side..should i be checking anything here?

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by bodydropcris View Post
    at the shop i work at we use nothing but xmt304 inverters, so we have several extra units laying around.. i was thinking of bringing one home to my home shop, so i started checking some of the units in storage, but seems they have some problems.. they turn on and the voltage can be changed on the display or the remote (wire feeder), but no matter what the display says, its wide open (28-30 volts or whatever max output is).. is this a possible easy fix so i can score a nice welder for a good deal (free + repairs)?
    Hall (left side inside off the output) may be unplugged, likely corroded connectors if sitting for a while.

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    For saftey's sake I'd have it fixed even if you needed to run wide open as this could be a sign of a larger problem. You stated they were cc/cv machines. I forgot to mention Miller also made a machine that was either cc or cv only, can't remember which. If these machines are not cc/cv macines you will be limited in the processes you can do. I'd still jump on it and get an estimate for repairs. If repairs exceed used machine value, sell it as is, not working, no warranty/guarantee and still make some $$$ on it. Check out these machines on E-bay to get an idea of what they go for.

Leave a comment:

• bodydropcris
    replied
    these are the units with autolink, you just drop the red wire and run it single phase.. i wish i had a need to spray arc everything at my house, but sadly i need the machine to get below 300 amps, so i need to figure out whats wrong with the units so i can get it down to 16 volts if i need because all i do at my house is automotive related stuff, but i cant pass up the deal especially since this machine will also do dc tig..

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    Miller made two versions of the xmt 304. Both had Autolink on the input side. One vesion handled every thing from 208 through 480 volt single or three phase. The other version was geared towards strictly industrial use and only accepted 480 to 575 volts. Check the nameplates on these machines unless you can supply that kind of power at the house. If you can meet the power input requirements, I would jump on the deal. Used 304's are going for around $1200.00 and up on E-bay. If you can make one of these work for less than that it's seems like a sweet deal.

P.S. I have an ALT 304 which is essentially the same machine. It draws 47 amps when run wide open on 230v. single phase. Make sure your circuts can handle the amperage draw requirements as well.
    Last edited by davinci2010; 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bodydropcris
    started a topic XMT 304 CC/CV help

XMT 304 CC/CV help

at the shop i work at we use nothing but xmt304 inverters, so we have several extra units laying around.. i was thinking of bringing one home to my home shop, so i started checking some of the units in storage, but seems they have some problems.. they turn on and the voltage can be changed on the display or the remote (wire feeder), but no matter what the display says, its wide open (28-30 volts or whatever max output is).. is this a possible easy fix so i can score a nice welder for a good deal (free + repairs)?
Working...
X