X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welderdude402
    replied
    Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    There are tax implications to what you buy for a business. Buying something under a business makes it a capital equipment purchase. That gives you a couple of things, the possibility of writing some of your income off, and in a pinch when you go for a business loan, you can use the equipment as collateral.

Bottom line, because you are a welder, not a tax expert, not a lawyer, and not an accountant, its sometimes very beneficial to hire one of each. An accountant should be able to tell you very quickly which way is better. If you can get credit, consider leasing equipment - and not a lease to own.
    I understand what you're saying, but I guess for me, I guess I would rather have the equipment paid for beforehand, and if anything should happen that I may go out of business or not get any customers or something else like that, I would like to have the equipment stay in my posession, instead of having to sell it off or give it to the bank or something.
    I know I still have a lot to learn about the workings of a business, and that's why I'm trying to take it slower, you know, build it up from the bottom as I go, so if things don't work out I don't have a huge loan to pay back or something.
    I don't think I'm going at it wrong or anything, but I will take your suggestions into strong consideration.
    (Plus, my sister went to college for Business Management, and one of my best friends from HS is almost done with school for Accounting...so hopefully if I have any questions I might be able to get something out of them for a batch of homemade schnaaps or something)

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Here is a cool link...Bob
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyTWm...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZaZw...eature=related

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Here is a simple design of a radius cutter. It came from a welding forum but i can't remember which one. So if anyone here made it forgive me for not telling your name...Bob
    Thanks for the pics Bob!

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied
    Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
    yeah, i've noticed that. konw of anyone that might be getting rid of a set? lookin for some 1-7/8" dies. workin on gettin some equipment 'stocked up' so to speak as to not have so much overhead when i start up. i'll be gettin a new MM252, 1970's era Bridgeport J-head mill, and bender w/in the next month or so
    There are tax implications to what you buy for a business. Buying something under a business makes it a capital equipment purchase. That gives you a couple of things, the possibility of writing some of your income off, and in a pinch when you go for a business loan, you can use the equipment as collateral.

Bottom line, because you are a welder, not a tax expert, not a lawyer, and not an accountant, its sometimes very beneficial to hire one of each. An accountant should be able to tell you very quickly which way is better. If you can get credit, consider leasing equipment - and not a lease to own.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Here is a simple design of a radius cutter. It came from a welding forum but i can't remember which one. So if anyone here made it forgive me for not telling your name...Bob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    You could add a fairly big metal lathe to your want list and make your own as needed. I just got a big metal lathe to just make dies but i don't have it all set up yet. I made a nice radius turner for the grooves...Bob
    I'd be interested to see the design on that. Recently made a ball turner, but an inside radius, as in bender dies... well, it seems it needs to be pretty small at the pivot?

Edit: On a side note, tried to burn the house down last night on my lathe. Turned some magnesium, was in a hurry and didn't clean up afterward. Turned some steel and a hot chip touched off quite the excitement!

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    replied
    thanks...ill talk to my boss too. we got a smaller one that i've never seen used. maybe i can pick it up for a fair price.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
    any ideas what a used lathe would cost? most likely a 10-12 inch capacity.
    I bought a heavy 10 SBL for 385 bucks and sold the drawer full of parts for almost 375 so the lathe was almost free. I just bought a SBL 15" for 400 bucks but worked most of the money off making parts for the guy so i have like 100 bucks in it. I just sold a SBL 16" that was in useable condition to a guy to weld up driveshafts in. Ohio seems to be the dumping grounds for used equip right now. I will keep my eyes peeled...Bob

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    replied
    that is on my list too...but so far the welder, mill, and bender are all i have the funds for currently. tax return wasn't quite as big as i had hoped. but i'll be gettin the mill for a fairly low price from my current boss..possibly 1000, but probably 1500. any ideas what a used lathe would cost? most likely a 10-12 inch capacity.

Leave a comment:

• captkipp
    replied
    dies.

Search American Bender. I believe they may make dies to fit your bender.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    You could add a fairly big metal lathe to your want list and make your own as needed. I just got a big metal lathe to just make dies but i don't have it all set up yet. I made a nice radius turner for the grooves...Bob

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    replied
    yeah, i've noticed that. konw of anyone that might be getting rid of a set? lookin for some 1-7/8" dies. workin on gettin some equipment 'stocked up' so to speak as to not have so much overhead when i start up. i'll be gettin a new MM252, 1970's era Bridgeport J-head mill, and bender w/in the next month or so

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    The dies are the most expensive part. Not sure if anybody else makes some for the JD2 bender, but it seems that pretty much the die prices are pretty close in price everywhere you look.

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    started a topic jd2 model 3

jd2 model 3

Does anyone know if anyone makes dies that will work with the JD2 model 3 pipe & tubing bender? Just wondering if I could save any money somewhere. thanks
Working...
X