Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastener/Nut welding

Hai,

we are welding a M6 mild steel nut with 5mm stainless steel sheet by SMAW process by using 309 electrode. the problem is the nut is getting melted due to the high current. The average set current is 100Amps & if we keep less than 100 doesn't melt the job.

I'm thinking of projection welding for this type of job. But, i'm not sure whether this will work out.

put your suggestions.
    Attached Files

SMAW seems a bit raw-dog for the application, don't you think? Why don't you "melt" it up with some of that 71 series flux core you're stocking?

May I ask where your shop is located and what you're making out there?
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
      SMAW seems a bit raw-dog for the application, don't you think? Why don't you "melt" it up with some of that 71 series flux core you're stocking?

May I ask where your shop is located and what you're making out there?
      we are steel structure fabrication company in kuwait

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I read your other post and others here had wondered why you aren't using a GMAW set-up for some if your production. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with heavy steel fabrication, but it would seem to me that GMAW could help you with this particular weld, too.

If you are confined to SMAW, can you use a fastener with a wider/heavier flange?

Good luck.
        Maxstar 200DX
        Maxstar 300DX
        Dynasty 200DX
        Passport
        Spectrum 701
        LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

First I would invest in a new camera or clean the lens.

Second have you looked at a rivet nut? They can also be known as a blind nut or nut-sert.

Comment

Originally posted by AV8OR View Post
            First I would invest in a new camera or clean the lens.

Second have you looked at a rivet nut? They can also be known as a blind nut or nut-sert.
            I was going to suggest this, too, but I had a feeling it would require too much finesse on their end, which it doesn't seem like there is an abundance of, based on the pics, post, and description of the problem. I figure they just need a fastener with some more meat to take the heat.

We use a lot of riv-nuts for certain applications, generally with aluminum and composites. Usually 10-32.

AV8tor, where are you based besides in the air somewhere?
            Maxstar 200DX
            Maxstar 300DX
            Dynasty 200DX
            Passport
            Spectrum 701
            LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

used MIG and TIg for this task in the past. Either one would be more a appropriate process, IMHO. 309 wire.
              Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

there are nuts designed to weld onto products.............theyre called weld nuts ...i use tons of them

autocad
                bobcad
                bobnest
                surfcam
                fadal
                mazak
                trump
                bridgeport
                hem-saws vert. and horiz.
                cnc 8x14 plas-cutter
                wysong 10 ft shear
                wysong 8ft brake
                100 ton edwards ironworker
                precision 275
                synchro 250
                dynaflux
                hypertherm 1650
                spectrum 875
                spectrum 2050
                3 millermatics
                renegade 180
                cobramatic
                keystone studwelder

a pen
                and a nice chair

Comment

Coat a screw liberally with graphite powder and thread it into the nut before you weld it. It will act like welding a solid piece of metal.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Thank you guys for your opinions

Comment

Tig would be my choice as its easier to direct the heat where its needed, a bit of practice and you should do OK.
                      mike sr

Comment

ive done this with MIG and i needed to chase the nut after it cooled because the heat caused enough warping to not allow the bolt to thread in properly. Ive even had bolts seize in an un-chased nut.

I cant tell if you have your nut centered over a hole to allow a tap to thread through.

You might strike arc about 1/2 away from the nut then drag the arc across the edge of the M6 nut and do this on 3-4 sides.
                        5x10 Bluco Fixture Table
                        Cincinnati shear 10'x1/4"
                        '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
                        '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
                        Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS

Comment

Working...
                        X