dynasty tig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynasty tig

I have a dynasty that has about 2 hours total use and I go through a tank of gas really fast. Tank is 4foot tall. It appears to be leaking. I replaced the regulator and no change any ideas? is the internal solenoid prone to issues or can it be cleaned?

Flow meter

Whats the flow meter showing with the machine turned off and you tank valve open?

Check the connection on the tank with soapy water and do the same for the rest of the hose that feeds gas to your dynasty.

For the most part the selenoids are not prone to leaks.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Flow rate.

Check you flow rate. 15-20 cfh.

Also check your pre and post flow settings.
      Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

A little bit of dish washing detergent mixed with water in a small plastic squirt bottle will find leaks very easily. Just squirt a few drops of it on each connection. If it makes bubbles or foam you have a leak. I keep a bottle handy near the welders, and we use it whenever we make any changes in the gas plumbing or replace the tank. Don't use it on Oxygen leaks. Buy the special leak detector for that. Detergent mixed with concentrated oxygen is an explosive combination.

Charley
        2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
        2 O/A torch sets
        DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
        DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
        DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
        Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
        Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
        Milwaukee 9" Grinder
        2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
        Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
        Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
        Too many hand tools

Comment

Math 101

Originally posted by ss#4 View Post
          I have a dynasty that has about 2 hours total use and I go through a tank of gas really fast. Tank is 4foot tall. It appears to be leaking. I replaced the regulator and no change any ideas? is the internal solenoid prone to issues or can it be cleaned?
          If you have an 80 cubic foot bottle of argon, divided by 15 CFH usage, it should be lasting about 5 hours. I would check your pre & post flow as well as the flow gauge/meter setting first, then look at mechanical issues. If you had it set on 30 CFH, yes, you would empty it in a little over a couple of hours.
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I checked the connections and no bubbles. Problem is it leaks down when the tank is shut off. I completely understand the flow rate and time end of it. Any way to check the valve? I am tempted to squirt some soapy water at the tip. any issue with doing this?

Comment

water and torch

No not really, as long as you don't have it energized. However any soap or water residue left in the torch head will create contamination issues later when you do energize the torch. So make sure you get it all out. It's much more likely tha the hose connection in the handle of the torch is leaking rather than the torch head, which is designed to 'leak'. as it doesnt have a shut off unless your using a gas valve in the torch handle.

To further this once the gas enters into the torch hose from the machine and the gas selenoid, there are no stoppages. Unless, again, your using a down stream valve at the torch itself.
              Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

hmm no extra regulators. I assume unless the torch is energized and the pre and post flow is off then no gas should be flowing out of the solenoid and through the tip, correct? Can the hose be disconnected easily at the torch? I could put a balloon over the end. should be enough pressure to blew up put would fill it possibly. any thouhts?

Comment

If it leaks down when the tank is shut off then it is a problem with the bottle. I got a tank with a bad valve a while back and the gas co just exchanged it for a new full bottle. If the valve is bad then nothing down stream matters. JEFF
                  200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

this is the second bottle with same issue. with the system pressurized and the bottle off it leaks out. so if it leaks then it will certainly leak when I am welding also.

Comment

for what it is worth i recently replaced the solenoid in my 200SD. it was stuck open. there are also inlet and outlet connections that could be checked in the machine. i worked around it for a while using a torch with a valve. i have difficulty buying into the two leaky bottles theory.

Comment

I don't believe it is the bottle either and the soap test did shop it was an issue either. what was the cost of the solenoid?

Comment

Dynasty TIG

Originally posted by ss#4 View Post
                          I don't believe it is the bottle either and the soap test did shop it was an issue either. what was the cost of the solenoid?
                          How old is the machine? Is it still under warranty?
                          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by fdcmiami View Post
                            for what it is worth i recently replaced the solenoid in my 200SD. it was stuck open. there are also inlet and outlet connections that could be checked in the machine. i worked around it for a while using a torch with a valve. i have difficulty buying into the two leaky bottles theory.
                            FDC: hello from the keys. Hey just a thought if that selenoid was stuck open, he would hear a constant hiss of gas at the torch head, I would think.

He could also take the hose off the down strean end of the selenoid and see if he has a constant gas flow with the cylinder on of course.
                            Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

I bought the machine from a friend of a friend, so not sure on Warranty. I do have all the paperwork, I will check. I am going to pull the hose at the torch tonight and see if it has steady flow.

Comment

Working...
                              X