Miller convertor on the Lincoln Ranger8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller convertor on the Lincoln Ranger8

Hi everybody I am new on the forum and at the same time I student-welder.
    I want to built a service truck for the trailer and truck repairs and I have a welder Lincoln Ranger 8. I want weld aluminum and I think to buy a WC-115A with Contactor for that purpose.
    My question is will I be able to use this miller controler with the lincoln welder-generator or not?

thank you.
    Anod.

I guess so, think you'd want something with a little more jam for truck and trailer repairs though.

So answer to your question, yes, you can hook the power cord on the WC115 to the Ranger 8, Hook up your arc power power cable into the 115 and off you go.

You have to order the 115 WITH the optional contactor kit

Comment

Does Lincoln not make something to do this?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Yes, I run my Miller 30A spoolgun off my Commander 500's and my Ranger 250 engine drives. All the WC115 needs, is a DC weld power source, and a 115v AC plug, whether shore power or generator power. I use CV, of course, but it does come with the parts and instructions to convert it to a Voltage-sensing unit, off a CC power source. Never tried that option.
        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
          Does Lincoln not make something to do this?
          No. Lincoln has no interest in helping people use the competition's accessories, they want you to buy their own accessory equipment (spoolguns).
          Last edited by JSFAB; 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM.
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I make the adaptations to put Miller accessories on all brands.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
              No. Lincoln has no interest in helping people use the competition's accessories, they want you to buy their own accessory equipment (spoolguns).
              No, I meant ... doesn't Lincoln have a Controller to run their Spoolgun on their Engine drive?
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

yes, lincoln does, running a Lincoln spool gun off a Lincoln engine-drive is seamless, but there's something about the drive voltage, between Miller and Lincoln, that's different. For my own reasons, I have gone to using only Lincoln Engine drives, but I still prefer Miller's spoolguns, thus needing the adapter unit.

Comment

I don't much care for the Lincoln / MK Products setup. It's expensive, failure prone, and parts including consumables are practically "ZERO" compared with the plentiful Miller spoolgun parts.

Running a Miller 30A & WC-24 off a Lincoln is not a big deal as all you'd need is a small 115/24Vac 1 amp stepdown transformer a 24 Vac relay, couple amphenols, project box and little misc wiring and your done.
                  Last edited by cruizer; 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks everybody.

Thanks for a quick reply,
                    I am thinking to buy a service truck and it already has a Lincoln ranger 8 welder /generator on it , but on my work I use the Milermatic 30a for the aluminum welding and I like how it works. The welder has 970 work-hrs on it, is it a lot for a welder/generator like that or not? And how can I check if welder is working properly or not?
                    Thank you very much for your quick replies.

Comment

Originally posted by anod View Post
                      Thanks for a quick reply,
                      I am thinking to buy a service truck and it already has a Lincoln ranger 8 welder /generator on it , but on my work I use the Milermatic 30a for the aluminum welding and I like how it works. The welder has 970 work-hrs on it, is it a lot for a welder/generator like that or not? And how can I check if welder is working properly or not?
                      Thank you very much for your quick replies.
                      That is not really alot of hours on that unit if it has been taken care of and not abused. Those hours equate to about 6 months of use in an industrial environment, meaning 40 hours a week. I would hope Lincoln and Kohler or Onan have worked their machines out to last longer than that.
                      Only way to check is weld with it. And I don't mean just strike an arc. You need to burn a few rods with it and switch the controls around to check for operation. You can tell if it is going up or down so you wouldn't need several different size rods. Ask for any records as to oil and oil and air filter changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X