Tech secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech secret

OK, this is what techs like me don't want you you know as it hurts our $$ bottom line.

When you get a new machine. DON'T plug it in and weld with it right off the bat. Plug it in, turn it on and let it sit there idling for a couple of hours BEFORE you weld with it. machine will work flawlessly for years before it needs any kind of maintenance. So all plasma cutters, ALL cc/cv welders and expecially true with ALL inverters!

Tired of hearing horror stories on new machines.

Even on old machines that you know haven't been run in for a while, or machines you've changed to a different input power, same thing.

Gas engine drives don't really need this with the exception of the Inverter based Pipepro and all brands of diesels which should be loaded up with a repair shop load bank at day one (cycled for 2-3 hours).

The gas engines (as apposed to any brand manual) are already ran at the factory. I've been to Kohler USA, and Onan when it was Onan years ago.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM.

Thanks Cruzier.......Does that apply to a SYN 200 if it hasn't ben used for a few months
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Again it depends on use. so theoretically once a machine is balanced, it shouln't have to be rebalanced, though say if you changed a control board, then yep, can't hurt and will subsequently save you more money down the road.

Comment

Interesting. If that's the case, and it improves reliability why wouldn't that be included in the MOM?
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Homemade Water Cooler
        130XP MIG
        Spectrum 375
        60 year old Logan Lathe
        Select Machine and Tool Mill
        More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

It really should.

Another hopefull secret for guys like me to cease replacing pistons and injectors on welder diesels manuf before 2007 is to start the use of Diesel lubricant with cetane boost. This newer ultra low sulfur diesel to me is likened to battery acid for your engine. Most #1 pump diesel is something like 39 to 41 cetane. A diesel needs a level of 43 cetane to have it's generator load out to the data plate specification. A ford truck diesel also needs a rating of 43 cetane, that extra boost really jacks your milage up by the way.

An added bonus with the ultra low sulfur diesul is that it has pert near zero lubricating qualities, so nothing much to lubricate your injectors, or governor. For some guys report its like night and day difference.

Oh, I'm presently replacing a piston on a 302D that the fellow was sticking tranny oil into, built up to much carbon on the 3rd injector, heating up and dropping the shield cup and carbon chunk into the cylinder. Made quite a cool $$ mess.

Most if not all of these diesel lubricants with cetane boost have anti gell qualitys so avoid the conditioners as they simply don't burn when used in excess so your engine runs pretty wierd if at all. I tend get several of these machines in the winter months, with over conditioning problems.

Now tranny fuild does lubricate and it does burn though it leaves carbon buildup on your injector shields. too much carbon is not a good thing. and it does not raise the cetane nor does it help with the fuel gelling.
          Last edited by cruizer; 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Now this is just me blabbering, I'm sure that there are lots of techs and operators disagreeing with me. But if this information helps you then my job here is done.

Jeff Amos
            Weld Alert ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              OK, this is what techs like me don't want you you know as it hurts our $$ bottom line.

When you get a new machine. DON'T plug it in and weld with it right off the bat. Plug it in, turn it on and let it sit there idling for a couple of hours BEFORE you weld with it. machine will work flawlessly for years before it needs any kind of maintenance. So all plasma cutters, ALL cc/cv welders and expecially true with ALL inverters!

Tired of hearing horror stories on new machines.

Even on old machines that you know haven't been run in for a while, or machines you've changed to a different input power, same thing.

Gas engine drives don't really need this with the exception of the Inverter based Pipepro and all brands of diesels which should be loaded up with a repair shop load bank at day one (cycled for 2-3 hours).

The gas engines (as apposed to any brand manual) are already ran at the factory. I've been to Kohler USA, and Onan when it was Onan years ago.

****Hope this post gets read by everyone ****
              Why would this help prolong life on plug in machines?
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Duh, cause your not working with an unbalanced machine, thus your not overloading unbalanced individual components. How many times on this site alone do you here of new machines that are querky from the get go.

Comment

TB 302 Diesel

Cruizer, not to hijack this thread, But I recently bought a used TB 302 Diesel with about 90 hours on it. Will it do any good or harm to load this machine with a load bank?
                  I know we discussed on here in the past about loading new diesels, but what about this situation? Or can I assume that the hours run are as good as a load bank would have done?
                  This machine has the kubota engine in it from late 2007 build.
                  Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Is the exhaust pipe wet or has black crap on the exhaust side of the top cover then definately yes. Or when you start it up does it pour the smoke, then yes as well. I load machines with a 1000 hrs + on them from rental firms. I like to do them at night cause of the flaming carbon chunks that pour out of them from machines that have idled too long.

Stock muffler 302D's are extremely loud. I get a special muffler made for them here.

Comment

cruizer,
                      We have been adding 2 stroke to our diesel after losing quite a few injector pumps due to no lube in the new diesel. Seems to be working.

Comment

Muffler.

Stock muffler 302D's are extremely loud. I get a special muffler made for them here.[/QUOTE]

The muffler to which you are referring: do you have drawings to make one or, where do I order the unit?

Cruizer, thank you for all your help. I wanna grow up to be just like you!
                        Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Cetane Booster?

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                          It really should.

Another hopefull secret for guys like me to cease replacing pistons and injectors on welder diesels manuf before 2007 is to start the use of Diesel lubricant with cetane boost. This newer ultra low sulfur diesel to me is likened to battery acid for your engine. Most #1 pump diesel is something like 39 to 41 cetane. A diesel needs a level of 43 cetane to have it's generator load out to the data plate specification. A ford truck diesel also needs a rating of 43 cetane, that extra boost really jacks your milage up by the way.

An added bonus with the ultra low sulfur diesul is that it has pert near zero lubricating qualities, so nothing much to lubricate your injectors, or governor. For some guys report its like night and day difference.

Oh, I'm presently replacing a piston on a 302D that the fellow was sticking tranny oil into, built up to much carbon on the 3rd injector, heating up and dropping the shield cup and carbon chunk into the cylinder. Made quite a cool $$ mess.

Most if not all of these diesel lubricants with cetane boost have anti gell qualitys so avoid the conditioners as they simply don't burn when used in excess so your engine runs pretty wierd if at all. I tend get several of these machines in the winter months, with over conditioning problems.

Now tranny fuild does lubricate and it does burn though it leaves carbon buildup on your injector shields. too much carbon is not a good thing. and it does not raise the cetane nor does it help with the fuel gelling.
                          Cruizer,

I'm a little confused on this now. Should I run a cetane boost? But avoid the products that have anti-gel additives? Can you give me some product names? Our local NAPA has quite a good selection of stuff or can get it I think.

One more thing: When you say cycled through on the load bank what is the proper sequence for loading and unloading the engine? 30 minutes on, 10 minutes off? Reason I ask is having meet this tech on my previous 302 issue, I really want to be able to describe what I need to have done. Trust me here. This fellow is nice enough, but he ain't no Cruizer. Thanks again.
                          Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the tips Cruizer.I have a 300D w/almost 1000Hrs.And on start up it does puff some smoke but then clears out pretty fast.I have recently added a sm amount of Power Servece into the tank cause the temps are cold up here in New England this time of year.But not every tank full gets additive.Also have run a small amount of Power Service Diesel Kleen additive.
                            BB402D
                            TB300D
                            DIMENSION652
                            MM250X
                            MAXSTAR140
                            S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Cruizer - Thanks for the tip. Now to get off diesel for a moment. If you have only run a few short test beads on a new welder, is it too late to apply your technique? I just got a MM211AS a couple of months ago, and due to life getting in the way, haven't had time to use it much. As said, I've just run a couple of test beads, probably no more than 5 - 10 minutes arc time.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X