Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    What do you mean by SRW and burning GVRW
    Single Rear Wheel as opposed to a Dual Rear Wheel.
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and in case you don't know what that means:

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

In other words if you build a heavy steel deck on a SRW diesel truck you might be at your GVWR before you even put the welder on and fill it full of tools.
    If you aren't too concerned about it you will be the first time you get pulled into a scale and your running over weight.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
      What do you mean by SRW and burning GVRW
      SRW = single rear wheel A SRW 3500 has a far lower weight carrying capacity than a DRW (dual rear wheel) 3500. You are "burning GVWR" because a diesel SRW XCLB weighs significantly more than an RCLB gasser with the same GVWR.
      Bobcat 225NT
      Cutmaster 52
      Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
      Caterpillar TH63
      '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I better make my deck light

Comment

How much weight do you guys think this truck would hold on the flatbed?
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Miller Passport Plus
          Miller Spoolmate 100
          Milwaukee 4 1/2" Angle Grinder
          Milwaukee Sawzall
          Miller Elite Inferno Hood
          Miller Diversion 180
          Miller Digital Elite Vintage Hood
          Miller Camo Digital Elite Hood

Comment

I wouldn't even consider a truck of this size, that I was going to run with a good load, unless it had disc brakes in front.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by J C View Post
              How much weight do you guys think this truck would hold on the flatbed?
              Well you would have to find the tag that has the GVWR number on it, then you'd have to know what it weighs as it sits. Internationals were known for being built heavy like farm equipment... well because that's what they build.
              at home:
              2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
              2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
              2008 Suitcase 12RC
              Spoolmatic 30A
              WC-24
              2009 Dynasty 200DX
              2000 XMT 304
              2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Sold:MM130XP
              Sold:MM 251
              Sold:CST 280

at work:
              Invision 350MP
              Dynasty 350
              Millermatic 350P
              Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

This may be apples and oranges but nonetheless just fuel for thought. I had a 1970 International Scout 4x4, nothing but problems with the steering, had the local International dealer rebuild it several times! Finally just got rid of it, too much trouble. Would hate to have to deal with that now, 40 some years later!
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                  I wouldn't even consider a truck of this size, that I was going to run with a good load, unless it had disc brakes in front.
                  Dont know if it has disc brakes or not but even if it dont it should still do the job as it probably did years ago. I'm not sure when disc brakes came out but I do know they werent always around.
                  Miller Trailblazer 302
                  Miller Passport Plus
                  Miller Spoolmate 100
                  Milwaukee Sawzall
                  Miller Diversion 180

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                    This may be apples and oranges but nonetheless just fuel for thought. I had a 1970 International Scout 4x4, nothing but problems with the steering, had the local International dealer rebuild it several times! Finally just got rid of it, too much trouble. Would hate to have to deal with that now, 40 some years later!
                    Yeah I get what you're saying though but even brand new vehicles these days go through the same stuff. Some of them on the lot that havent even been sold yet are in the shop more than they're on the lot.
                    Miller Trailblazer 302
                    Miller Passport Plus
                    Miller Spoolmate 100
                    Milwaukee Sawzall
                    Miller Diversion 180

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_Brooklyn View Post
                      I agree. I've always loved the old trucks.

When I see a contractor pull up in an old truck, I know the money I pay is going to the job, not to truck payments. So far this un-scientific approach has always worked for me when evaluating a prospective contractor. The guy in the 90's Econoline always gives a better price than the guy in the new Sprinter. There is also the impression that you've been in business longer than you have.
                      I see you mentioned contractor. I was thinking about that & instead of doing just repairs & random also doing contract work. My question to that is how do you become a welding contractor? What steps are needed to be taken to be able to do this? Also what kind of work could you get into by doing this?
                      Miller Trailblazer 302
                      Miller Passport Plus
                      Miller Spoolmate 100
                      Milwaukee Sawzall
                      Miller Diversion 180

Comment

Brake Time

Dont know if it has disc brakes or not but even if it dont it should still do the job as it probably did years ago. I'm not sure when disc brakes came out but I do know they werent always around.
                        Even if it doesn't have disc brakes, (which I doubt) they came with some hefty drums (11" on 1/2 tons). The Travellalls and Pickups were made to tow trailers, and haul loads. It was basically a Loadstar 1600 on a pickup chassis. Their only drawback was service centers while traveling.

With a Ford or Chevy(GMC) you could pull into any car dealership and get a waterpump, or whatever in case of emergency.

I think they had Borg-Warner automatics, used Dana running gear, and the engines were bullet-proof. Low compression, high torque. They were the only manufacturer to mount the rear leaf springs underneath the axle, rather than on top, to level out the vehicle.

I think they switched to Saginaw steering boxes in their later years.

They were "All Truck."

Dave
                        Last edited by davedarragh; 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM.
                        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Something like that is really too old, it would be uncomfortable if one had to spend any time in it. Its obsolete for the most part.

Comment

most of what was produced in the seventies was junk anyway. total waste of time and money to buy that unit. put your time and money into equipment and billable hours. forget that piece of junk it belongs in the smithsonian; no i take that back, it needs to be crushed.

Comment

Hmmm. Just as I imagined. Some hate it & some love it.
                              Miller Trailblazer 302
                              Miller Passport Plus
                              Miller Spoolmate 100
                              Milwaukee Sawzall
                              Miller Diversion 180

Comment

I see you mentioned contractor. I was thinking about that & instead of doing just repairs & random also doing contract work. My question to that is how do you become a welding contractor? What steps are needed to be taken to be able to do this? Also what kind of work could you get into by doing this?
                                I have to say, you're asking the wrong guy. For me it's just a hobby, or I should say is going to be a hobby. I have yet to strike my first weld.

My experience with this would be from the "owner's side" since I work in construction as a project manager in telecom. The few occasions I have had to hire welders it was always word of mouth references. Someone always "knows a guy".

What I could suggest is look to the large utility companies, specifically your local telephone co. Here in NY it's Verizon. They have a tremendous amount of plant and any welding is always farmed out. They usually have yearly contracts with very small outfits. I was a line foreman and used to deal with a guy that would go around and fix pedestal boxes that were knocked over, come to the garages and fix parts on the trucks, etc. Contact their purchasing group and find out the process.
                                "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
                                Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
                                Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
                                Fully charged fire extinguisher

Comment

Working...
                                X