X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma problem

Originally posted by rjcustoms View Post
    1st i want to say hey wass up

ive got a miller 375 sepctrum plasma cutter ive had it around 2 years its been awesome ,i fired it up yesterday and the cut was all over the shop i thought it was the tip ,it was spitting back between the tip cover and the handle ,so i thought it was the tip that wasnt good put a new cup and tip in it today and now it wont arc when you hitt the trigger ,it still pumps the air but no arc i took the new tip out and it looks like its arcing between the tip and where the tip sits ,i took the electrode out that the tip sits on and cleaned it up as it had signs of arcing but it still doesnt work ,theres no lights on the front of the machine lighting ,any1 had a similar problem or has any tips for me to try ,could it be in the handle area or furthur back to the machine any help would be appreciated before i take it to the welding store to be repaired

thanks in advance yall
    Have had two torches for the same 2050 have broken wires below the handle. Try holding the trigger down and wiggling the lead directly below the handle. Know that my torches weren't mishandled by anyone since I am the only one who has used it since buying new. Miller says that it's uncommon for the same thing to happen on same type of torches.

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
      A problem with his " plasma cutter " was the reason for his post!

Griff
      Gee...do ya think??
      Nick
      Miller 252 Mig
      Miller Cricket XL
      Millermatic 150 Mig
      Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
      2-O/A outfits
      Jet Lathe and Mill
      Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
      DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
      Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
      20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
      Propane Forge
      60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
      Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
      and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

latest update checked all the cables from the pc1 board to the torch all seem ok no breaks in the wires ,the pc1 board looks ok cant see any broken soldered connectors ,no burn marks etc the only thing i can see is the swirl ring has a crack in the side but i cant see that making that much difference ,all the connecters are nice and tight kinda stuck ,rekon its time to take it into the shop and pay up ,not looking forward to that 1 ,just putr it all back together again rekon il take it back out to the shop hook it up and see what happens , thanks for all your help yall

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
          Gee...do ya think??
          Certainly! But as proven by your first reply (here is another comma for you), you missed his point.

Griff

Comment

You certainly seem to be interested in my posts. Why are your shorts up in a wad? Are you a groupie?
            Last edited by monte55; 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM.
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
            DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
            Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
            20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
            Propane Forge
            60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
            Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
            and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mxr148 View Post
              The In..tard..net is full of people with high post counts and big mouths. The rest of us must not know anything because we don't sit around and play desk jockey all day. Anyway, Miller can't seem to figure out how to design a gun worth a crap so put a Thermal Dyne gun on it and never look back. (and yes it can be done)
              There's nothing wrong with the torches Miller puts on thier plasmas. They are actually designed by Hypertherm. What is a "Thermal Dyne gun?"
              The Ultimate Newbie.

Comment

the swirl ring has a crack in the side
                Did you try replacing the swirl ring?? Maybe you should try this first.
                Are any of the lights blinking on the front of the machine? Are the consumables in right?? Is the retaining cup not too tight?? I would call Miller before taking it to the repair shop. 1-800-4AMILLER
                The Ultimate Newbie.

Comment

so i thought it was the tip that wasnt good put a new cup and tip in it today and now it wont arc when you hitt the trigger ,it still pumps the air but no arc i took the new tip out and it looks like its arcing between the tip and where the tip sits ,i took the electrode out that the tip sits on and cleaned it up as it had signs of arcing but it still doesnt work
                  My understanding of plasma system there are actually 3 things you need. 1) gas - in this case air and that seems to be flowing. Although I would replace the swirl ring because that should also be an insulator. 2) You need a pilot arc - typically high frequency (I'm assuming a circuit not unlike what a TIG welder uses. 3) you need the main drive.

Anyway, initially, the electrode is supposed to start the arc in the nozzle. That electrode/nozzle arc is blow through by the gas (air) and what you see on the outside is exactly that. Either the arc isn't staring, or the air is being routed around it.

My electrodes only show discoloration on the end closest to the tip, not the end near the torch (looks like new copper). At the very tip, right in the middle is a small gray/silver what I think is an arc-track.

You are going to want a new swirl ring anyway, I would just spend the bucks and replace all the consumables. Not sure how a swirl ring would crack anyway... probably the first clue.
                  Con Fuse!
                  Miller Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                  Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                  Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Working...
                  X