No announcement yet.

Motor oil & Windshield water don't mix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor oil & Windshield water don't mix.

Its not a welding related problem but it did happen on my welding rig. Went to fill up the windshield washer reservoir and quickly grabbed the right container but forgot that I had used it recently to hold some extra motor oil.(long story) So before I could say,"Way to go stupid", I had poured oil into the windshield reservoir. I've tried pulling the reservoir out but its a Dodge and its in there good. So, any suggestions? Is there a product that will break down the remaining oil film after I drain it?

oil and water in reservoir

Try dish soap in your windshield wiper reservoir.
    Trailblazer 325 EFI
    Dynasty 200DX
    SVI 300i cvcc
    Mig 4HD & Mig 2E wire feeders
    Ultra-Pulse 300i Pendant
    EAS-IV Electronic Arc Starter and Plumbing Box
    Powermax1000 G3 Series
    AC-225 Arc Welder

Comment

Yup theres a product.....

I would remove the tank, flush it with denatured alchol, then wash it with dawn liquid detergent. U might just get away with the dawn, remove the tank, pour in some dawn, then use the hottest water u can get from the tap, shake it up, drain repeat. When oil gets in the coolant system in gas/diesel engines I use dawn to clean them out, work awesome.
      Kevin
      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
      Ln25
      Miller spectrum 625
      Miller 30a spoolgun
      Wc115a
      Lincoln 210mp
      F550 imt service truck

Comment

Right on guys! I knew I could count on forum members to come up with some good suggestions. In fact, isn't that what the clean-up crews use on the waterfoul after an oilspill? Although I'm not looking for something gentle for my feathers, dish detergent will likely do. And the weather has warmed up some, so its a good time to get at it. Thanks again! Bob.

Comment

Dish soap should work great. Also a product that's on most supermarket shelves the we use to use in the oxygen and diving business called "Simple Green" will do the trick. ZEP company makes a great degreaser as well. Try takin off the feed hose to the pump to avoid getting oil up in the pump. But if there was water in the reservoir then the oil will sit on top of this water and you should be able to extract it from the tank. There is a paper towel type of material we commonly call "diapers" that are specifically made to suck up the oil and leave the water. They also use these for oil spills and associated clean up. You can get them at NAPA and other auto stores. Good luck. This should go pretty well I think. Unlike me who dumped about 17 gallons of 91 octane into a diesel tank one day....
          Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by captkipp View Post
            Dish soap should work great. Also a product that's on most supermarket shelves the we use to use in the oxygen and diving business called "Simple Green" will do the trick. ZEP company makes a great degreaser as well. Try takin off the feed hose to the pump to avoid getting oil up in the pump. But if there was water in the reservoir then the oil will sit on top of this water and you should be able to extract it from the tank. There is a paper towel type of material we commonly call "diapers" that are specifically made to suck up the oil and leave the water. They also use these for oil spills and associated clean up. You can get them at NAPA and other auto stores. Good luck. This should go pretty well I think. Unlike me who dumped about 17 gallons of 91 octane into a diesel tank one day....
            Seen that Zep stuff at home Depot so if Dawn doesn't work it'll be good to know. Pretty sure you're not the first guy to put gas in a diesel tank, but not too many would talk publicly. I'm sure that was a bigger fix than what I have on my hands. Thanks captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
              Its not a welding related problem but it did happen on my welding rig. Went to fill up the windshield washer reservoir and quickly grabbed the right container but forgot that I had used it recently to hold some extra motor oil.(long story) So before I could say,"Way to go stupid", I had poured oil into the windshield reservoir. I've tried pulling the reservoir out but its a Dodge and its in there good. So, any suggestions? Is there a product that will break down the remaining oil film after I drain it?
              Cutting torch, Duh!

Oh, you just got demoted from Parade mechanic.
              '08 F-350
              Vantage 400
              SA-250
              SA-200
              Invertec V350Pro
              Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
              Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
              Track torch

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
                Cutting torch, Duh!

Oh, you just got demoted from Parade mechanic.
                Oh, you just gotta be a welder!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                  Oh, you just gotta be a welder!
                  How does that song go "Well he use to be a pretty nice feller, but now, he's a welder" LOL
                  '08 F-350
                  Vantage 400
                  SA-250
                  SA-200
                  Invertec V350Pro
                  Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                  Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                  Track torch

Comment

How does that song go "Well he use to be a pretty nice feller, but now, he's a welder" LOL
                    LMAO, more like the song "I was a big man yesterday, but boy you should see me now".
                    Which reminds me of a stunt I pulled, recently I was preparing my chainsaw for a project, proceeded to fill the oil reservoir w/the chain oil, noticed it took quiet a bit of oil, the reason.... was the fuel tank. Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints.
                    Have a good day all
                    L*S

Comment

Alot of guys confessing goof-ups here.

Comment

Thought it went,"Well he used to be a pretty feller, but now he's a nice welder" lol

Comment

Goof Ups

When I was in my Teens, I put Tranny fluid in the Brake Reservoir
                          long time ago !

............ Norm
                          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                            When I was in my Teens, I put Tranny fluid in the Brake Reservoir
                            long time ago !

............ Norm
                            my dad put engine oil in the brake reservoir a couple years ago... He ended up replacing almost the entire braking system...
                            Bobcat 225NT
                            Cutmaster 52
                            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                            Caterpillar TH63
                            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Yep, Me too !

.............. Norm
                              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X