buying new machine on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying new machine on ebay

Anybody have any personal experience buying on ebay from BR welding supplies in Maryland? ------ I wanted to buy from my local LWS but the guy didn't want to bother with me. I sent him a fax detailing what I wanted (spectrum 875) along with the internet price. I also told him that I am buying this in the next two weeks & I asked him to call me to let me know what his price was. Never heard from him so I called him after 2 days & asked if he got my fax. His reply was, "ya I got it but didn't want to waste my time. If you can get it for that price then go ahead." I guess he is so busy right now that he didn't have time. I was prepared to pay more to buy it local but not anymore.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

BR is a Good Company.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
      Anybody have any personal experience buying on ebay from BR welding supplies in Maryland? ------ I wanted to buy from my local LWS but the guy didn't want to bother with me. I sent him a fax detailing what I wanted (spectrum 875) along with the internet price. I also told him that I am buying this in the next two weeks & I asked him to call me to let me know what his price was. Never heard from him so I called him after 2 days & asked if he got my fax. His reply was, "ya I got it but didn't want to waste my time. If you can get it for that price then go ahead." I guess he is so busy right now that he didn't have time. I was prepared to pay more to buy it local but not anymore.
      BR Weld Supply is quite reputable from what I have heard. Many on the boards I frequent have said good things about them. Never had dealings with them myself.

One thing you have to keep in mind about your local distributor (especially if it's Airgas) is that they generally already have an established clientele. They don't necessarily "need" your business. Think of it from their point of view:

Sending them a detailed fax, from someone they probably don't know stating a percieved message of "I can get it cheaper someplace else" usually doesn't fly too well. It can come off as impersonal, rude & even insulting in some cases. Even more so when you are basically saying: "I said my piece.. You call me back with your best price." I'm not saying you were rude in your communication to them, but think of how it could have came across to a place that has much bigger, more profitable fish to fry. If you were dropping serious cash there annually, that's a different story.

I have been selling used machines for 10+ years & when I get a call from somebody talking like that, I tell them to go for it & hang up the phone. When I get emails I percieve to be nothing more than "trolling" for the cheapest price, I don't even answer them. Especially if the prospective buyer comes off like I had better jump thru their hoops because I "need" their business. I don't want to be bothered with a chiseling bargain hunter with no interest beyond finding the cheapest price, then telling me mine is higher.

I'm NOT saying you are an individual like that, but if you want to see if your LWS will do some wheeling & dealing, it's best to go in in person & feel them out first. Spend a little money there, get to know them a little. Some places just won't. Period. Some will, depending on how good of a customer you are.

In this business, perception goes a long ways. On both ends. But I can tell you from a wealth of experience, if I think someone's trying to get me to jump thru hoops, that kills any notion of a sale on the spot.

IMHO, of course.
      Last edited by 7A749; 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM.
      So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

I've dealt with BR directly with no problems. Never went through their e-pay srore, though I can't see what difference that would make.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

If I tried to feel out my LWS they'd punch me inna face

Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            If I tried to feel out my LWS they'd punch me inna face

That's a little too personal for me Ed......
            So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

I purchased my 350P from BR as did my nephew who purchased two, they use Fedex w/not a scratch on the machines. Some of the on line co.s use less than desirable shipping co.s so I've heard on some of these boards and was a PITA in returning damaged units.
              Good luck
              L*S

Comment

Nice people.

Bought a wc115a when are feeder took a dive, was there 2 days later, BTW I HATE AIRGAS, they are overpriced, and dont even stock consumables for there overpriced welders. I WISH there was another welding store near me so I could get gas else where.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

Thank you for the responses. ----In response to the reply by 7A749 --- Thank you for not accusing me of being like that. I can see both sides of it. It wasn't Airgas. I don't want to take this post off in another direction so I'll just say I was in there 3-4 weeks ago picking up some stuff & he ballparked it for me, I just needed a firm price. PO'd me that he couldn't be bothered.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

Before the OP starts complaining about his LWS, can I ask, are we hearing the complete story here??? Was he visiting the LWS a half-dozen times in the last month, kicking the tires, so to speak?
                    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Bought my Syncrowave 200 from BR Welding. Also I remember buying some other important thing from them, but forgot what it was. They are good and I will buy from them again.

Comment

I live 30 minutes from BR.... good guys to deal with.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. ----In response to the reply by 7A749 --- Thank you for not accusing me of being like that. I can see both sides of it.
                          Glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I know there's always two sides to hear. Bummer they didn't do a little more for you, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Do you have more than one LWS? We have two here, but Airgas has bought up everyone besides the independent whom I deal with. I have bought a few brand new machines there & for the most part, I get stuff at cost. Even the few times I didn't, I'll still go there because they have been so good to me.

Hope things work out good for you.

Comment

MMW,

BR are good folks to deal with. Not just an e-bay seller, but a real brick and mortar welding supply company. Also have an excellent service dept.

Call BR directly and ask for Brant (Owner's Son). They generally will "beat" their internet price slightly, since they don't have to pay e-bay a percentage.

I got my Dynasty from them and they gave me the best price I found anywhere. I'm only about 2 hrs from them (VA), but it's cheaper to have UPS deliver than it is to pay MD tax. The Sync should be free shipping.
                            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                            Hobart HH187
                            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                            More grinders than hands

Comment

You have cyberweld right in Jersey go check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X