Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcatter
    replied
    Updated link on the construction of the aluminum can.

Leave a comment:

• OZbreno
    replied
    I welded the cans on 25- 30 amps and the foil on 3 amps

Leave a comment:

• OZbreno
    replied
    Rest your filler on the can and arc onto to filler first.

Leave a comment:

• wkdivr
    replied
    How do you keep the HF from blowing a hole in the thin AL?

Leave a comment:

• OZbreno
    replied
    Hey there guys, stumbled across this forum and thought i would have a crack at welding cans and some foil.

Cheers and beers

Breno
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Originally posted by kraythe View Post
    I like TIG welding but have never really seen the need to weld soda cans. It seems more like a parlor trick than anything useful. I guess the question would be if anyone has ever made anything useful out of them.
    I had a friend who drank enough beer that if he were able to have found someone to weld them together he could have built a mansion out of empty beer cans.

Leave a comment:

• captkipp
    replied
    Originally posted by cayager View Post
    drink 2 try to weld. drink 2 more and try again. keep repeating, something good will happen eventually.
    After 6 or 7 rounds of this I know I was pretty good. Had trouble the following morning trying to remember where I put the TIG machine though.

Leave a comment:

• cayager
    replied
    beer cans are better

drink 2 try to weld. drink 2 more and try again. keep repeating, something good will happen eventually.

Leave a comment:

• J C
    replied
    Originally posted by Don52 View Post
    To answer your first question. The top of pop cans is made of 5182 the rest is 3004. Check out the following link for more information:

http://machinedesign.com/article/alu...velopment-1209
    Alright. Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Don52
    replied
    Originally posted by J C View Post
    What kind of aluminum are pop cans are made of? Do they require any prep work or can you just start welding them? Please make your suggestions. Feel fre to post pics of any you've done. Oh yeah I was thinking of welding the bottoms together.
    To answer your first question. The top of pop cans is made of 5182 the rest is 3004. Check out the following link for more information:

http://machinedesign.com/article/alu...velopment-1209

Leave a comment:

• J C
    replied
    Originally posted by spence648 View Post
    pry not a need to weld up cans, but i disagree it is usefull. it can make you a better welder. if a person trys to weld cans together and cant do it. he or she is going to gain by keep trying till they get it down. once you are able to do it consistantly you just learned how to weld on thinner matieral than before.
    I totally agree with you & whats cheaper to practice tig welding aluminum on than pop cans.

Leave a comment:

• spence648
    replied
    pry not a need to weld up cans, but i disagree it is usefull. it can make you a better welder. if a person trys to weld cans together and cant do it. he or she is going to gain by keep trying till they get it down. once you are able to do it consistantly you just learned how to weld on thinner matieral than before.

Leave a comment:

• J C
    replied
    I still think it's cool though whether there's a use for it or not.

Leave a comment:

• J C
    replied
    Originally posted by kraythe View Post
    I like TIG welding but have never really seen the need to weld soda cans. It seems more like a parlor trick than anything useful. I guess the question would be if anyone has ever made anything useful out of them.
    It is more of a "parlor trick". What use could you actually get out of welding pop cans together? Other then showing off what use could you get out of welding aluminum foil? Thats all it is. Just something to show off.

Leave a comment:

• J C
    replied
    Originally posted by spence648 View Post
    sorry took me awhile to figure it out lol.
    Looks pretty good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X