shop lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop lighting

Any suggestions for types of lighting, considering T-8. Would like for them to be energy efficent. Not finding much info on pros or cons of various styles.Are there any LED shoplights out there?
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Garage? High bay? Low bay?

Plenty of solutions, although I've not heard of an LED product that would suffice for shop lighting.

My shop is a 24' x 26' No-Car garage. I use the old style 48" 4-tube flourescent lights, because that's what I could scrounge when I moved in. They are sufficient for my needs. If I need supplemetal ligthing, i plug in a 500 watt halogen work light.

As to the point of your post, I see no problem with T-8 fixtures, depending on how much illumination you need.

OK, back to the Kettle One....

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

fabricator;
      The majority of my shop lighting is the swirl type flouresent bulbs.
      I use 150's - 43 watts used . I have several around my shop.
      There are 3 in a Fan type light fixture & I have a light bar I made up with 3 more in it ! All told I might have a total of 5 o 6 of this type in my shop, plenty of light with little watts being used !

I also have a 4' shop light over my work bench, but that one draws more watts than I'm real keen on ! Oh well ! But for sure my favouite are the swirl type bulbs @ 150 w it only draws 43 Watts !!!

.............. Norm
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

About 15 feet in height would be where the fixtures would hang. and 40 x 70 feet is the footprint of shop.What constitutes the difference between a high bay and low bay? I dont want the crappy fluorescent lighting that flickers and is hard to start in cold weather.
        Last edited by fabricator; 12-29-2009, 05:07 AM.
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

My choice would be MH 400watt low bays with acrylic full light shields pulls 4 amps on 120 volts and 2ea in a 32'X48' building will lite it like your out side.
          2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
          1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
          Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
          XMT 304 cc cv
          Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
          Miller 30A
          1ea X-Treme 12vs
          2ea Miller 12Rc
          Miller 24 A
          Miller 330 a/bp tig
          Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
          Millermatic 180
          Millermatic 180 auto set
          Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
          Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
          2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
          2ea Powermax 1000
          1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

Comment

Only problem I can think of with the metal halides is the relight time. Every fixture I have worked with if you shut it off it takes up to 5 minutes for it to cool and relight.

I am personally using 2 bulb T8 fixtures industrial fixtures (no covers) with instant start ballasts (not the cheap home improvement store lights) and cool white bulbs 41,000K (if I remember right). I am very happy with the amount of light I have and the color of it.

-Dan
            Owner
            DW Metalworks LLC
            Miller Trailblazer 302
            Miller 8RC Feeder
            Miller Passport Plus
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
            Hobart Handler 135
            Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
            Smith O/A Torch Set
            Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
              Only problem I can think of with the metal halides is the relight time. Every fixture I have worked with if you shut it off it takes up to 5 minutes for it to cool and relight.

I am personally using 2 bulb T8 fixtures industrial fixtures (no covers) with instant start ballasts (not the cheap home improvement store lights) and cool white bulbs 41,000K (if I remember right). I am very happy with the amount of light I have and the color of it.

-Dan
              You are correct on the relight time.
              2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
              1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
              Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
              XMT 304 cc cv
              Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
              Miller 30A
              1ea X-Treme 12vs
              2ea Miller 12Rc
              Miller 24 A
              Miller 330 a/bp tig
              Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
              Millermatic 180
              Millermatic 180 auto set
              Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
              Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
              2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
              2ea Powermax 1000
              1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                My choice would be MH 400watt low bays with acrylic full light shields pulls 4 amps on 120 volts and 2ea in a 32'X48' building will lite it like your out side.
                400 watts per light , as far as I know you are paying by the watt not the amp. !

............. Norm
                www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I found some 4' fluorescent light fixtures at home cheapo which are rated for cold weather application. They light dim at first but within 3 or 4 minutes they're nice and bright. Kind of like the low energy bulbs you get for can lighting fixtures in the house. These fixtures ran me 20 bucks a piece and it was money well spent. I have 24 x 28 and it's nice and bright with 6 fixtures. I forget which style bulbs it takes but it's the new style lower wattage tubes. Anyway that's what I'm using and works very well in my shop.
                  Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                  Miller 340A/BP
                  Victor O/A torches
                  Lincoln SP125
                  Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                  78 GS1000
                  82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention in the big shop in Cleveland we installed halogen lighting and are very disappointed with it. It was brighter with the fluorescent lighting than with the halogen lighting and the florescents were much less wattage too.
                    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                    Miller 340A/BP
                    Victor O/A torches
                    Lincoln SP125
                    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                    78 GS1000
                    82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I just finished up a 32' x 52' shop with 14' walls.. The flat false ceiling is skinned with an off white roofing metal the walls were wafer-board (SIPS)..

We installed (4 rows of 5) T-8 8' / 4-4' bulb fixtures - no reflectors. used the natural light bulbs. This gives a very good no shadow lighting..

The fixtures were $40 each and the bulbs are like $1.45? when bought in the master pack of 35 at Lowes

T-8's will start at 0 degrees and only pull 1 amp / fixture on the 120v side of the equation.. these will save you money and more importantly they will not put out the heat the HO's do, I know I have a shop full of HO's as the T-8's were not out at the time I put my shop together.
                      Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

Glad this thread popped up. I have 6 3'x4' skylights and 4 400 watt MH. 2 of them are giving me fits. Can't complain, they were free.

Trying to decide what to change too. Most of the time I don't even turn the lights on because of the skylights. I like the idea of the compact florescent bulbs. The shop is 30x30 w/ 12' side walls and a 4/12 pitch roof. Thoughts on new lights are welcomed.

I will be getting rid of Metal Halide (120v) units when I get these changed.
                        Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
                        HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
                        HH 140
                        Hyper Therm Powermax 600
                        Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                        Forge
                        Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
                        HydMech 225 cold saw
                        several grinders
                        Rigid Chop Saw
                        4x6 band saw
                        Never enough clamps

Comment

Here is a link I found for T-8 lights.I dont think there is anything else to know that is not explained here.http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/NLPI...8/abstract.asp
                          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
                          1- Blue star 185
                          1- BOBCAT 250
                          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
                          1- MILLER DVI
                          2- PASSPORT PLUS
                          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
                          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
                          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
                          1- HF-251 BOX
                          1- S-74D
                          1- S-75DXA
                          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
                          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
                          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

I have found if you have a lot of lighting in a shop and do any blacksmithing that can be a problem.

Comment

Lite'm up!

In my past experiences, there are basically four types of lighting to choose from.

HPS (high pressure sodium)
                              MH ( Metal Halide)
                              MV ( Mercury Vapor)
                              fluorescent

Each of these have their pros and cons.

HPS is you best bet if you're looking for maximum lumens per watt of power used The draw back is that this form of lighting has a very poor color rendering index and that means that everything in your shop will take on that fugly orange yellow tinge. Ewww best left to light the driveway and front road. 2800 degrees Kelvin is not a pretty color to work under..
                              Some people use these , but I cant say i'd want to work in that environment.
                              your next closest bet is Mercury vapor. This too provides decent lumen output per watt used, but again.. everything will take on a greenish tinge.. again ewww. 4000 degrees K approx.

Metal Halide Lamps provide a really nice white/blue light that makes it easy to distinguish colors of objects. It is however more costly to run than either MV or HPS. Not by much but there is a difference. Also as you know, these lamps burn very bright. I personally find thins really annoying especially when I'm on my back under the work looking up.. So some good diffusers are a very good idea. Good idea in general just in case a lamp decides to pop. S*it happens now and again and there is nothing worse than hot projectile glass (quartz) flying towards you or anyone.

Last but not least, is the good 'ol tube lamps. Floros come in a variety of sizes all the way up from 12" to 96". They come in a variety of color temperatures so pick the color you like best. Personally I like daylight tubes. They are more expensive, but the color is pretty close to that outside at high noon. T8's are 32W each and will not run properly on a ballast designed for T12' as the T8's draw more current. think of it this way... The bigger the cable or diameter of the tube, the less resistance to the flow of electricity. Floro's are also easier on the eyes. If you get good rapid start ballasts, you should be able to fire them up to -20. There are also ballasts called "preheats" but If I'm not mistaken, this is the type you will find mostly over the stove and on aquariums. push the button and hold till it fires..

For your shop, I would think that two maybe three rows of twin lamp 8 footers would provide you with sufficient lighting.

Each lighting system has pros and cons. What one will do, the other may not. they might be cheap to run but fugly to look at... (hmm that reminds me of something... ewww) anyway.. I'm sure you get the idea.

Good luck.

Also, I don't know what the US Electrical code book says , but the canuck one allows you to put up to 20 amps worth of floro's on one cct. This can be handy at times. If this is also part of the USEC, make sure to size your wire accordingly... #12 AWG
                              Last edited by SignWave; 12-30-2009, 05:43 AM.
                              Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
                              Syncro200
                              Spectrum 625
                              O/A
                              Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
                              Standard modern lathe
                              Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
                              horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                              Roland XC540 PRO III
                              54" laminator
                              hammer and screwdriver (most used)
                              little dog
                              pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

Working...
                              X