Happy with a couple new tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy with a couple new tools.

Don't know about a lot of the members here, but I use both the straight and angle die grinders a lot in the type work I do. I probably have 6 straight 1/4" grinders and 4-5 angle grinders. Both a straight and angle die grinder hang on the side of my tig table.

My grinders range from the cheap models from Lowes/HD to the more expensive Ingersol Rand models. They all grind/polish but some are smoother than others and some sound like the whistle on a freight train.

I recently acquired a new straight and angle grinder made by Aircat. These were not "cheap" but not as much as some of the Ingersol Rand models.

All I can say is that I am very impressed. Both run extremely smoothly, with good power and are the "least noisy" of all the grinders I have. I tend to be pretty critical of tools, and these two have impressed me. The fit/finish is the best of all the grinders in the shop.

I have no affiliation with Aircat, other than being a happy user. Just thought I'd mention a tool made by a company that's not that well known. I got the angle grinder at Northern (about $100) and the straight grinder came from e-bay (about $70).
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    I tend to be pretty critical of tools
    Just tools?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Sonora,

NO

Not JUST tools, but that's what this thread was intended to address.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

Aircat

I've seen these listed on ebay but discounted them as I knew nothing about the brand. I am actually looking for on to attach the scotch brite pads to. I'll give one a go and see what happens.
        Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

SundownIII
          I own quite a few die grinders myself (4 straight 2 RA) and I really appreciate a TRUE running die grinder. I have ground many pounds of cast iron porting heads, and it is amazing how much of a difference in how fast your hands get tired, quality of cut and life of the bur. I see people using HF die grinders and box store specials and I just cringe.

I will have to check out an AIR CAT next time I am in the market.

-Dan
          Owner
          DW Metalworks LLC
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Miller 8RC Feeder
          Miller Passport Plus
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
          Hobart Handler 135
          Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
          Smith O/A Torch Set
          Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

I used mainly Black and Decker when I was working, years ago they would burn up the armatures or field coils if overheated, the last few years I havent had the problem with them.
            I used them because they were relatively inexpensive and had the paddle switch.
            I still use several of them with different wheels on them just because it saves time.
            I havent tried the Air Cat but I will check it out.
            mike sr

Comment

Looks like an expensive tool that will only reach in 5" at the most, you will certainly be better off with a homemade tool for something like a deeper hollowing tool, but that's your choice.
              Go and have a look at Darrell Feltmate's site, it is full of tips and advice, also some videos that show how to use the tools, anyway a site that you should bookmark for sure, and no nothing to buy, it isn't that kind of site.
              A so called Oland tool would be a better tool for hollowing and uses very low cost bits that are used for turning steel .
              kites for sale|kite store

Comment

Ive used their impacts and was very impressed as well!
                Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
                2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapshirts View Post
                  Looks like an expensive tool that will only reach in 5" at the most, you will certainly be better off with a homemade tool for something like a deeper hollowing tool, but that's your choice.
                  Go and have a look at Darrell Feltmate's site, it is full of tips and advice, also some videos that show how to use the tools, anyway a site that you should bookmark for sure, and no nothing to buy, it isn't that kind of site.
                  A so called Oland tool would be a better tool for hollowing and uses very low cost bits that are used for turning steel .
                  I think you have missed something here. These guys are talking about the performance of the grinders and not about homemade tools.

Wheelchair

Comment

"Spam"

Originally posted by Wheelchair View Post
                    I think you have missed something here. These guys are talking about the performance of the grinders and not about homemade tools.

Wheelchair
                    Be leary of these posts. There was a bunch a month or so ago-SPAMMING.
                    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Working...
                    X