Best and Safest Oxy Torch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxy/Acet

This MAY just add some to the confusion, but a lot of the manufacturers are switching horses on what to shut off first. NOW they are saying shut the Oxy off first and then the Acetylene. This is because if you shut the Acetylene off first, the Oxygen will blow the flame out and if you have a seepy valve somewhere (the Acetylene valve in the handle, for instance) you will never know it. Then, when you do shut the Acetylene off, it isn't really ALL THEY WAY SHUT OFF and will proceed to leak gas into the welding area. And THAT is a bad situation! Yeah, it does mean that you will carbon the place up a little, but that is waaaay better than blowing it up! I used to do it the Acet first way, then was told about the Oxy first and tried it. Guess what?? I still had a tiny little flame burning at the end of the torch when I finally shut of the Acetylene and that meant that I had a tiny, slow little leak in the gas valve at the handle. The next day I had the valve fixed by a technician just to be sure it was right.

Of course, one should ALWAYS turn both O and A off at the tanks if you are going to set the torch down and not use it for more than a few minutes in case the hose(s) get cut or burnt somehow and there are a lot of ways THAT can happen! Also, if for extended periods of non-use, empty the lines and back out the regulators to save the diaphrams from becoming "set" and then getting creepy.

That all works for me and I could go on forever on the safety thing, but most everything a new guy needs to know is covered by the books or in a class.

For some educational entertainment have a look at YouTube and do a search on Oxygen or Acetylene tanks....here is something to get you started.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoatgaQrK28, but there are lots of others.

Now you have my $.02 worth.......
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Good to find out what is a good set up for a torch is because they are a great tool for the shop. It is also one that can hurt you the fastest if you don’t know how to set it up and use it. Just like guns they don’t kill! People kill. So one should know what the Safety Practices of the Oxyacetylene are. One thing that has not been mention is keep the oxygen gauge and valve free of oil and don’t use an acetylene cylinder that has been lying on its side always store upright. Read the safety manual and get lessons if you are new at using a torch. Bad things can happen if not.
      I use Victor torch and gauges.

Comment

This should get you started. Please read your manual though.

Oxy-Acetylene, Start-Up & Shut Down Procedure:

A. Lighting The Torch:
        1. Close all valves and back out adjusting screws.
        2. Standing to the side, slowly open the oxygen valve on the cylinder all of the way.
        3. Open the oxygen valve on the torch body and using the adjusting screw set the required working pressure.
        4. Close the oxygen valve on the torch body.
        5. Standing to the side, open the fuel gas valve on the cylinder 1 turn.
        6. Open the fuel valve on the torch body and using the adjusting screw set the required working pressure.
        7. Ignite the fuel.
        8. Open the oxygen valve on the torch and adjust to the desired flame.

B. Shutting Down the System:
        1. Close the Oxygen valve on the torch body.
        2. Close the Acetylene valve on the torch body.
        3. Close the valves on the gas Cylinders.
        4. Open the fuel gas valve on the torch body to bleed the system.
        5. Open the oxygen valve on the torch body to bleed the system.
        6. Back out the adjusting screw.
        7. Wrap up the hoses.

C. Do’s and Don’ts:
        1. Don’t oil on the system.
        2. Do Use a striker instead of a butane lighter.
        3. Don’t store cylinders horizontally.
        4. Do chain the cylinders to a secure object.
        5. Don’t use a pliers to tighten or loosen fittings.
        6. Do use proper shading for eye protection.
        7. Don’t pick up hot metal with your gloves.
        8. Do use a pliers to pick up hot steel.
        9. Don’t move unchained cylinders without the protective cap.
        10. Do select the right tip for the job.

Comment

So is it better to have the flashback arrestors installed at the torch or at the regulators?

Comment

Originally posted by AV8OR View Post
            So is it better to have the flashback arrestors installed at the torch or at the regulators?
            Hi;
            I don't know about Best, but my personal preference is on the Torch .

........... Norm
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I use smith my self but with a victor you can pick up cutting tips about anyware.

Comment

Ok I have decided to get the Journeyman Welding outfit from Victor.

http://store.cyberweld.com/vijowecuou.html

I just need to find out what acetylene inlet type my local supplier has on their for-lease bottles.

Comment

Acet. Tank Adapter !

If you pick up the smaller Acet. Tank, you'll need to get an Adapter.
                  No big deal, TSC. should have them !

............ Norm
                  www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Usually it is the operators fault not the equiptments fault when problems happen. The operator is resonsible for checking and maintaining the equiptment to prevent accidents. Allways work safe.

Comment

Victor vs. Harris vs. Smith???

I've read several threads here, and this one seems to be the closest. I've also Googled & WikiPedia'ed, with no answer so far.

I understand that they're separate companies, and that cheap torches are like cheap condoms, but on an aftermarket torch kit, what do they mean by "Victor-style" and "Harris-style"? What exactly are the differences? Something about the regulator? The tip design? Are tips interchangeable between aftermarket torches if they're the same style? What about between the original name-brand & the aftermarket knock-offs claiming to be that style? Does the aftermarket knock-off Smith's design? I've never seen "Smith-style" kits.

What about these?
                      $250 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...rch-Kit-KH837/
                      $350 http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...s?cm_vc=-10005
                      $750 http://www.amazon.com/Thoroughbred-G...dp/B00K0QTK6E/

I'm not a pro, and I don't need a pro torch. Just something for screwing around on projects like this:

I'm not in a rush to buy anything - I just want to learn about the differences.
                      Walk softly & carry a BIG SIX ! ! !
                      MM211 + SM100

Comment

Do yourself some fire watch after every use for 30minutes after using .meanwhile store tools hang hoses. Sweep.
                        Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
                        Millermatic 211
                        Spoolmate 100
                        (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
                        Work better & less parts to stock.
                        Miller 130xp
                        T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
                        Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
                        2. 4-1/2" grinders
                        1. 9" grinder
                        14" Makita chop saw
                        1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

My all time favorite rig is the Smith Aw1A versa torch with the "A" fitting hose from tinmantech. I don't care for the Smith kevlar hose. I use flame arrestors at the regulator to prevent anything biblical from happening. Smith and Victor regulators are good. Remember to bleed your hose when you are finished for the day and always open your valves slowly to prolong the life of the regulator diaphragm.

Comment

Flashback arrestors for oxy-fuel torch

While I am careful when I use my oxy-fuel set-up, I like to have any additional safety mechanisms in place.

So I have 2 sets of flashback arrestors on my equipment.
                            One set is mounted on the regulators and the other set is mounted on my torch body.

One caveat is to make sure the flashback arrestors can handle your maximum gas flow. Oxy-fuel cutting needs lots of oxygen compared to brazing.

http://weldingdesign.com/gases/news/gwd_11305

http://oxyfuelsafety.com/the-importa...back-arrestors

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/e...Arrestors.aspx

Stay safe.
                            Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

OxyAcetylene Safety

Here is a good safety video. There is a black screen for about 15 or 20 seconds at the beginning. Be patient, it will start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_BEF6myVN4

Comment

Working...
                              X