Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Safest Oxy Torch?

Greetings,

I was wondering what you guys though was the best and safest oxy torch setup for work in the garage. I dont especially want to burn down my house or go in for skin grafts.

-- Robert

any quality name brand torch set would be good choice (victor, smith, harris) is perfectly safe if used properly. I would personally avoid the off brand torches that are marketed as "harris type" or "victor type". I've used harris for years, but I recently converted to victor, just because it's the more popular torch, and it's easier to borrow a tip if you need one!
    If it ain't broke, yer not trying hard enough!

Miller Trailblazer 350D
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller XMT-304
    Miller 12VS
    Miller Spoolmate 30A
    Miller S-32P
    Miller HF-251D
    2009 F-350

Comment

victor

i use a victor and am very pleased.
      Matt

Syncrowave 200
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Victor O/A
      Smithy Midas 1220 Lathe- Mill
      Bandsaw- 20 yr old Harbor Freight type
      Speedglas

Comment

Its usually not the equipment you have to worry about, Its the operator!
        Miller Dialarc 250
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
        Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
        Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

I guess the safest one would be the one that never gets used. Pipelayer is right on its not the torch thats going to get you in trouble its how and where you use it. Any torch can burn down a cluttered building or a spark can smolder for hours then finally deceide to make a nice fire. So you have to be careful too how you use the tools...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

I do a lot of oxy-acetylene safety seminars for customers and students. As of operating on a daily basis, I have not. I do agree I worry more about the operator than the brand & I also agree to stick with a brand name torch. However, I have also seen many oxy-acetylene seminars from suppliers and I would recommend Smith Equipment. Smith is the only company I have seen that will start a flash back, let it run for awhile, put it out & start it right back up.

Comment

I agree this is a good place to spend up a few dollars for brand name. You can get a decent torch set for little above 200$, makes sense when the clone off brands are in the 130 range. Size of the bottles is crucial, personally a 125/140 setup. For light work a small tip is worth the investment.

Comment

Harris !!

I agree any torch is Dangerous if used in an Unsafe manner !
                I also hear many good things about Smith Torch set-ups.
                My prefference is and has been Harris Torch & Regs.

............ Norm
                www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

OXY-Fuel torch

I use Victor. Like it, easy tip availability from LWS. But buy one with a fire extinguisher and some one who isn't cutting to watch if there's any chance you could start something else aflame.
                  Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Just about any torch set of good quality would fit your needs.

Just about any torch set of good quality can burn your house down & send you for skin grafts.

Operator error accounts for almost ALL Oxy/Ace related accidents.

That said, Victor makes very nice equipment & I use Airco regulators almost exclusively. As far as the bigger names go (Harris, Victor, Smith) all are of comperable quality. I like Victor best, JMHO.

Being you are new to this, you may want to pick up a refference book outlining basic safety procedures, get a sutibly sized fire extinguisher & perhaps a demo from a knowledgeable individual who can give you some basic hands on training first. If the LWS can't provide you a simple demo & some basic safety, they shouldn't be selling the equipment.

Cylinder selection should be based on needs, the equipment they are being used with & your budget. Many individuals get smaller tanks then attempt large cutting & heating, overdrawing the smaller Ace cylinder creating a very dangerous situation, not to mention trashing your regulator.

That's a good way to trip the light fantastic... Permanently.

Be safe.
                    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
                      Just about any torch set of good quality would fit your needs.

Just about any torch set of good quality can burn your house down & send you for skin grafts.

Operator error accounts for almost ALL Oxy/Ace related accidents.

That said, Victor makes very nice equipment & I use Airco regulators almost exclusively. As far as the bigger names go (Harris, Victor, Smith) all are of comperable quality. I like Victor best, JMHO.

Being you are new to this, you may want to pick up a refference book outlining basic safety procedures, get a sutibly sized fire extinguisher & perhaps a demo from a knowledgeable individual who can give you some basic hands on training first. If the LWS can't provide you a simple demo & some basic safety, they shouldn't be selling the equipment.

Cylinder selection should be based on needs, the equipment they are being used with & your budget. Many individuals get smaller tanks then attempt large cutting & heating, overdrawing the smaller Ace cylinder creating a very dangerous situation, not to mention trashing your regulator.

That's a good way to trip the light fantastic... Permanently.

Be safe.
                      Well Stated and very accurate !
                      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Why, thank you Norm!

No sense seeing someone blow themselves up. Another member who tends to tell it like he sees it makes a very good point in illustrating how any Tom, Rick, or Harry can buy Oxy/Ace equipment that can quickly kill you & others with absoultely no training what so ever, but to buy & use cylinders used in diving equipment, you need certification, training etc.

The first set of torches I bought, back when I was a kid I didn't know how to use. I'm lucky I never hurt myself or someone else. I ended up going to the Comm Coll, where I got the full gambit on torches & torch safety.

I would always suggest, at the very least, a comprehensive book such as Union Carbide's Oxy-Acetylene Handbook. Seen them on ebay, I have a few of them. They can be had for next to nothing & are a great refference. See far too many aspiring welders go out & buy a set of torches they have no idea how to use. At least a book like this gives some basic information & safety.

IMHO, of course!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 7A749; 12-25-2009, 05:13 PM.
                        So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Safety....

The most dangerous part of oxygen or Act is the bottle, not the torch!! Be sure the torch is turned off, plus the bottles are turned off. Be sure the bottle are chained in the torch cart. Better yet if the torch is used infrequently, remove the regulator and screw the top back on the bottle. I would think the danger in the torch would be if the torch was left on, and the gas cylinder emptied in a confimed space, or a bottle being knocked down and turned into a missle. Before when I was young and stupid I used a backhoe to knock the gas valve off a Oxy tank, thus turning it into a missle. That thing crashed through a 6" cement wall until it came to a spinning stop. After that I had a new respect for cylinders!!
                          Kevin
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

Comment

if all else fails...

Something I learned from my shop teacher, I will never forget..

Very silly, but very serious..

A tidy little poem:

A before O
                            or up you go...

turn on ace first/shut it off first..
                            Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
                            Syncro200
                            Spectrum 625
                            O/A
                            Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
                            Standard modern lathe
                            Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
                            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                            Roland XC540 PRO III
                            54" laminator
                            hammer and screwdriver (most used)
                            little dog
                            pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

A/o

I was also told this. It helps keep the soot down as well when you shut the torch off.

I love electricity too. especially when I lean up against the fabrication and it passes through the rivets on my Carharts on its way through my body!
                              Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X