Miller Multi-Voltage Plug (MVP) On A Dynasty 200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV8OR
    • Jul 2004

Miller Multi-Voltage Plug (MVP) On A Dynasty 200?

Has anyone ever replaced the factory installed power cord on a Dynasty 200 DX (non-Blue Lightning) with a Miller Multi-Voltage Plug (MVP) power cord that comes on the Passport and other Miller machines? This would allow me to swap between 230 and 115 volts by just changing the MVP plug.

Yes the Dynasty cable has four wires vs. the other machines having three wires but I don't have three phase in my garage so I'm not using the fourth wire per Miller's procedures.

Looking at the gage of wires I would assume the Millermatic DVI-2 would be closest choice with them both being 12GA and almost the same length but I wanted to run it by this board. Another question is the power cable user replaceable?

Dynasty 200 DX - Part# 196727 - CABLE, POWER 10 FT 12GA 4C BLK/RED/WHT/GRNYEL

Miller Passport - Part# 220916 - CABLE, power 10 ft 14ga 3c soow w/spl plug

Millermatic 211 - Part# 239588 - CABLE, power 7ft 12GA 4C

Millermatic DVI-2 - Part# 219257 - CABLE, POWER 12 FT 5 IN 12GA 4C SOOW W/SPL PLUG
    Last edited by AV8OR; 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM.
  • engnerdan
    • May 2008

I "think" the only cord that could possibly work out of the box is the passport cord because it is a 3C cord and it is the only one that I am aware of that is an inverter. I believe the 211 and the DVI both have 2 different windings inside the machine one for 120 and one for 240 which is why they have 4 conductors even though they only run on single phase power. This would be why they most likely will not work. One more option to look at is the 375 extreme that comes with a MVP plug.

I do not have time to look at the wiring diagrams to see if the 4C cords would work. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

-Dan
    Last edited by engnerdan; 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM.
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

• AV8OR
      • Jul 2004

Engnerdan,

Thanks for the response and I'll add it to the list:

Spectrum 375 X-TREME - Part# 225180 - CABLE,POWER 10 FT 2 IN 14GA 3C W/MVP

None of them have the same part number. Job security for someone in the parts warehouse I guess.

Comment

• Showdog75
        • Jul 2008

It's been said and explained here before , it will not work. Save yourself and the machine the trouble and don't mess with it. Just make some adapters , it's really simple.
        Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
        Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
        Rockwell vertical mill
        Beverly Shear B-3
        Beverly Shear JR
        Home-made English wheel
        Milwaukee Porta-band
        " Sawz-all
        Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
        Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
        Powcon 300st

Comment

• Sberry
          • Sep 2005

Should have a number 12 wire, agreed, skip the mvp setup, put 6-50 hwd on and make 120/240 adapter as Broc splain in the other thread.

Comment

• WeldFever
            • Apr 2013

Made my own

I know this thread is old, but I read it a few days ago when I too was looking for info on the same subject. I ended up making my own and I put it on YouTube. Here it is if you would like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUbh9MpFo4

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X