Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question for the pro's

Hi Guy's (and Gal's),

I haven't been here in a long long while. Ive been out making a bit of money off my equipment and trying.... Trying to stay out of trouble!

so the other day I'm talking with some colleagues and Bs'ing about one of their current jobs when the topic comes around to Fabrication and welding...

After what I heard these guys say I almost swallowed my tongue!

They said: " It cost us 1600.00 to get the sign welded...."

I must be giving it away!!! The above mentioned is no more than 2 - 3"steel uprights with an inner frame made from 2x2" steel. no stand offs, and just a small adornment on the top.... two hours works tops...maybe 3.

I did the same thing with 4x4 and 3x3 aluminum for about 300.00 each...

So my question after the preamble...... Sigh... errr I mean Sign...

What are you guys charging yourselves out at. Aprox...?

thanks in advance and don't hesitate to try and shake some sense into my what is starting to look like a dumbass....
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

how much?

Sooo, everyone works for free....???
    60 buck an hour? More?? Less???

Whats a fair price to charge for Fabrication and welding?
    I don't want to be the guy that undercuts my Brother..

Someone please fill me in a tad.

Thanks in advance.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Comment

At our shop it's $80.00 per hour sometimes a deal would be $72.00 per hour.
      We sell steel as well, we are 3 welders fabricator and have 4 machinist on hand. I've worked from signs, wolf cage, dam gates for ducks unlimited to ore shoots for mining and logging and mills equipments.
      If you calculate all you have to pay as a contractor to be in business it all adds up.

Comment

Thanks for the response Daniel. I must go now. I have a date with my own boot.

80 bucks. Okay so that seems to be the going rate for a number of other job descriptions too. Mechanics, Electricians, trades in general. Thanks..Some of the guys in my neck of the woods are charging over 100 for their services.

No more Mr. Nice Guy....! (insert evil laugh here >0<)

Miller 251/30A spool
        Syncro200
        Spectrum 625
        O/A
        Standard modern lathe
        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
        Roland XC540 PRO III
        54" laminator
        little dog

Comment

They will abuse you, specially if you do nice work.
          Last edited by Daniel; 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Shop rate

Our shop rate is 125 and mobile is 150 for the first hour or part of. Long time clients get a break to 100. All of it plus materials and travel time if required.
            "Don't give away your Profession!" Oh, and use a small boot.
            Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

I don't do so much welding on the road, but I do mechanic work once in awhile. I'm a diesel tech, so if I have to go to the truck, it's automatically 125. All depends on what's to be done after that, but it's about 80 bucks an hr and whatever charge for chasing parts as well. I would assume most people do the same for welding.

Although, at my shop we have a guy that comes in to patch weld fuel tanks once in awhile, he comes w/ his own equipment and depending on the job is normally only there for about 30 min. His average charge is about 75 bucks to patch an aluminum tank. He does great work and they've been using him a lot longer than I've been here, otherwise I'd try to work in on the deal

Comment

in my town I have to take a cut to 50 bucks an hr. just because small town like mine are just about broke.

Comment

I try to price my work according to the customer/situation. I have a regular job[welding] but have dabbled in welding on the side. I do small work at my home and will go do portable work when called upon. I've found that if I spring the $85 per hr rate on some folks they will crap thereselves but on the other hand it depends on the situation. Had a guy that needed some aluminum welded on his boat and the pieces cost about $800 so he didn't mind when I charged him $200 for about a hours work[he didn't know how long it took me]. I price my work high when someone wants a set price verses paying a hourly rate. Seems like some folks feel like they left you a blank check when you're working by the hr. Little do they know often times they'd come out much cheaper. I also let folks know they can find a typical rod burner for much cheaper than me but what I do is specialty welding and have very nice equipment that most portable folks don't have. Not every mobile welder can tig aluminum on the spot. My point is you need to remain somewhat flexible with folks and this is much easier for me to do than a guy that makes his entire living doing this work. Another thing is don't do free work for anyone as it sends the wrong signal, hey this guy does cheap work if he doesn't think his time is worth something no one else will either.
                  Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                  Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                  Rockwell vertical mill
                  Beverly Shear B-3
                  Beverly Shear JR
                  Home-made English wheel
                  Milwaukee Porta-band
                  " Sawz-all
                  Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                  Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                  Powcon 300st

Comment

My shop charges $90 per man hour plus equipment. Now we are not a "welding shop" but we do our fair share of welding in our line of work.
                    That said I also have a machine shop in my garage that I run side work on and my shop rate there is $75 per hour and friends get the "six-pack" discount. The more beer you bring the cheeper the job gets. And don't bring me water either calling it beer. If I can see through the bear it's water I like to rate beer the same way they rate lens shades and I only drink a #10 and up
                    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                    South bend lathe 10LX40
                    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                    Auto shades are for rookies
                    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

$75 an hour for mobile ,$70 in the shop. $50 for friends. Ditto on the quoted jobs. I usually average $100 an hour by the time the smoke clears, sometimes alot more. As long as the customer has a smile on their face when thy hand you the cheque, you charged a fair price.
                      Lincoln Precision tig 275
                      Millermatic 252 with 30a spoolgun
                      Lincoln Vantage 300
                      Hypertherm powermax 1000 plasma

Comment

thanks all.

Thanks for the great numbers guys. Very much appreciated. One of the first jobs of 2010 will be to fab three plant stands. I have to create some plant pot holders in the shape of pyramids. So... I will charge the cost of materials +25% and 85.00/hr for welding cutting etc. That should put the project into the 900-1500 dollar mark. Maybe a bit more.. not sure yet as I haven't finished calculating the cost or materials... The client is a non profit organization that is currently raising money in order to help pay for a new emergency wing on one of the Vancouver areas larger hospitals. So I have to keep prices reasonable but still make money for time put in.. I'll post pics once i've completed these monsters!

Thanks again.. Hope y'all have an excellent and prosperous new year!

Bests, R.

Miller 251/30A spool
                        Syncro200
                        Spectrum 625
                        O/A
                        Standard modern lathe
                        horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                        Roland XC540 PRO III
                        54" laminator
                        little dog

Comment

You charge what the market will bear.
                          The fewer people able, or willing, to do the work the more the market will bear.
                          A good example would be tapping a loaded gas line vs. building plant stands.
                          Every guy with a 110v mig in his back yard can build plant stands but liability and compliance with the laws, codes, rules & regs in welding on a loaded line make that a much more expensive proposition and fewer people are willing, insured and qualified to do the work.
                          So, in my experience I'd never pick up a plant stand job on an hourly basis because there are people lined up a mile deep willing and able to do that work for less than I'm willing to work for.
                          Quoted jobs always offer a larger profit margin for me than hourly work. If you take advantage of every labor saving device and have production driven hands you can make a killing on quoted work that's not possible working at an hourly rate.
                          So before you can determine a rate, you have to define the work and the pool of competitors able to do the work. All welding can't be lumped into one rate.

Remember, only 361 shopping days till Christmas.
                          JTMcC
                          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

no competition

Yep,
                            I here ya. To my dismay I am not a ticketed welder. So the gas pipe job is and always will be yours. I am however a ticketed electrician So i can charge for the specialty work that I do in this fiel accordingly. Fortunately, I have this job making plant stands "in the bag" so to say..I can charge as I see fit, but its also for a good cause... So..

With that all said and done, I can find some numbers just slightly higher than the mean here and I will be assured of a tidy profit w/o ripping off the organization.

Miller 251/30A spool
                            Syncro200
                            Spectrum 625
                            O/A
                            Standard modern lathe
                            horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
                            Roland XC540 PRO III
                            54" laminator
                            little dog

Comment

I just use that example because it's familiar to me. You can come up with lots of others that are welding related. You can come up with the same principle in any field, since you're an electrician, just about anybody with a bit of sense can change out a wall outlet or a switch, but wiring machinery in a paper mill's a whole nuther deal.

JTMcC
                              Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                              X