X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by 59halfstep View Post
    So is that hovercraft used to get you over fences that don't have instructions on the gate........... on how to open the gate?

Charlie
    The hovercraft will be used for "pooper" control.

Leave a comment:

• 59halfstep
    replied
    So is that hovercraft used to get you over fences that don't have instructions on the gate........... on how to open the gate?

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    With a fence all around, how would one get in? They need gates,with instructions on how to operate, and that's where the engineers come into play. Paul Jr can design the dog park signs. It's just not that easy as some would think.

Leave a comment:

• kcstott
    replied
    I thought the same thing.
    A dog park in southern california is a converted park. Just with a fence all the way around and bag dispensers for the deposits

Leave a comment:

• FATFAB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Ok, first, anything related to OCC is welding related. Not too far off topic.

So I saw that Paul Jr. is designing a dog park for the local government. I saw through all the weirdness of this and asked this question:

Don't you have to be a professional engineer or professional landscape architect to contract that kind of design work in the state of New York?

Its just dirt and dogs WTF drop a few trees put up a fence walaa dog park.

Leave a comment:

• srl_welder
    replied
    i liked the first season or two of occ with the black widow bike, than the pow bike, and of course miller bike! but i agree how it is more soap opera than bike fab. I'm a big fan of jesse james and west coast choppers. i wish jesse james still had the monster garage show on discovery. that was the show inspired me to get into welding in high school

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I don't watch but I like Jesse, he is a poster child for doing well for yourself. As for doing it or not doing it anymore,,, well he done it and ain't got to, he made enough to ride it out.

Leave a comment:

• kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeepnford View Post
    Does Jesse James even build bikes anymore or does he just chase Sandra Bullock around?(not that I would find fault with that).
    That guy is more of a figure head now. Just builds and designs on commission only. You can get a west coast chopper but it won't be built by Jesse unless you plunk down some serious cash.

And if my other pass time was chasing sandra bullock I'd have a full time job

Leave a comment:

• bill5674
    replied
    maybe they are going to use all the bikes that they can`t sell ....and let the dogs pee on them?

Leave a comment:

• Jeepnford
    replied
    Does Jesse James even build bikes anymore or does he just chase Sandra Bullock around?(not that I would find fault with that).

Leave a comment:

• Fruecrue
    replied
    well said

Originally posted by UH60LCHIEF View Post
    I stopped watching after they all became a bunch of drama queens. The first season or two had some nice fabrication, but then after the show became popular it was all about big business and pretty lame IMHO. I think those dudes started reading their own press releases and headed down that dark road to douchbaggerey. It's too bad really, I enjoy the shows with some creative fabrication a lot.
    I especially like the part about "douchebaggery" INSTANT CLASSIC.

Leave a comment:

• kcstott
    replied
    Originally posted by fjk View Post
    If memory serves, OCC (the company) had a not insignificant
    machine shop in the back, where guys really did make stuff
    (some manually, some CNC).
    Of course, those guys were too busy working for a living, so
    they never made it to TV...

frank
    The machine shop didn't show up till season two after they moved into the new building. Before that no CNC stuff at all just manual machines for drilling holes and making axle spacers. What they had was an ornamental iron shop that is what bank rolled the hobby of putting bike together.
    Now they have a full blown CNC shop with a nice water jet and a full blown design team.
    In comparison Billy lane, Indian Larry, Jesse James built their stuff by hand one at a time. They all do production work to some extent but what I'm referring to is OCC just flopping open a JP cycles, Custom chrome, or a drag specialties catalog and order up a list of parts stuff shows up they slap it together and out the door it goes. Very little of what OCC builds has anything designed by the OCC team. You can buy all the parts they used in season one and two right out of the catalogs (except for the theme bikes)
    Big bear choppers Has it down pat. They build one bike by hand then if it's a good looking bike with potential they start production on it But 75% of the core parts are designed and built by BBC not catalog parts. Jesse james, Billy Lane, ANd Kevin Aslope Have design patents on their stuff OCC??? Nop they can't because someone else outside their firm designed it.
    See I think they have some great stuff but it ticks me off when they take credit for someone else's work. They are not bike builders they are assemblers of someone else's designs and they call it their own.

It would be as if I open a "custom gun shop" and offered AR15's Custom built for each customer. And all I did was slap together a kit of parts how "Custom" is that.
    When you buy a custom rifle it is designed and built for you and no one else. It is stamped with a serial number that is associated to you. They are not slapped together from purchased parts.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Last I saw of Paul Jr, he and his girlfriend were opening a botique to sell shoes and crap. Is this a new girlfriend? Jr and the show has gone downhill.
    I liked watching Jesse making gas tanks etc. He has talent. He also has fallen
    into the Hollywood BS. I was watching the show last night while they were talking about the dog park and all of a sudden...it hit me. Why am I watching this crap. At least the guy on Dirty Jobs...gets dirty. Plus he's funny.
    Mikey has a problem? Really? At least he was the fun guy to watch. Lobsters
    on a scooter........cool.
    PS We .
    Last edited by monte55; 12-11-2009, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied
    Originally posted by kcstott View Post
    That's exactly what i mean. I want to see REAL craftsman doing their work not an assembly line with custom paint

If memory serves, OCC (the company) had a not insignificant
    machine shop in the back, where guys really did make stuff
    (some manually, some CNC).
    Of course, those guys were too busy working for a living, so
    they never made it to TV...

frank

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    I agree with most of y'all on this subject. Paul Jr. mostly pieced stuff together from store bought parts. They all use some store bought stuff to some extent or another. I liked the buildoff that featured Indian Larry and he took the down tube off and twisted a square bar and replaced it. If I'm not mistaken he also used a weird engine one cylinder was shovelhead and the other was a panhead. I've always liked Indian Larry and Billy Lane's bikes the best. Russ Mitchell and Kevin Alsop are both very good builders as well. Big Bear is also going the production line route themselves with all of their CNC machines spitting out identical parts one after the other. I don't know if they're still doing the "one off" thing or not. Someday I'd love to see Orange County Choppers and actually talk to Paul Sr.. The one I would have most liked to have talked with though is no longer able to, it's a shame that Indian Larry is gone. I'd also like to meet Billy Lane, I really like his "hubless rear wheel" it adds a touch to a bike that none of the other builders were able to acheive.

As to the original subject of this post I guess when you have a name like Paul Jr. people tend to overlook your credentials. I can't see a bike builder designing a dog park. I don't know whether he will hire landscape architects and such and just stamp it with his name or not.

I'm curious to see where all of this will go with Paul Jr. going out on his own and designing this and that. If memory serves me correctly he didn't ever use any of the CAD stuff on the computers on the show, I think it was Jason Poole who did all of that with Paul Jr. telling him move this and that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X