helpful hints smaw weld test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helpful hints smaw weld test

hello everyone, going to do my cwb 4 position smaw, have been practising but wondering if anyone has any pointers for passing the bend tests. have my own ideas but looking for insight on heat recomendations for each position?, technique?, ect. i am trying to prepare myself as best i can- never too proud to ask for some advice. 2 pieces 6inch long 3/8 plate, butt weld, 3/8ish gap with 1/4inch backing plate, single 30 degree bevel-other plate square. all 4 positions, cut into coupons- face and root bend.

When I first started taking structural tests an old timer told me a trick I’ve used every since. Draw a soapstone line 1 inch or so from the edge of the “V” while welding out the test keep an eye on the blue heat line, when it get to this 1 inch mark throw it to the side and start on another position's test, until this one has time to cool.
    Attached Files
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

coupons

Use as much heat/amps as you can. Use stringers as much as possible. Keep the welds on the small side (3/16). Weave between the first and second passes in the flat, vertical and overhead positions. Good luck!

Byron

Comment

Some more helpful hints for testing:
        I’ve never been allowed to use a grinder on structural plate tests, on occasion a power wire wheel. So I always carried in my bucket on testing day.
        Flashlight, small hammer, chipping hammer, (of course) hand wire brush, small chisel, center punch, awl or good scribe, extra color lens, and a few extra clear lenses, half round b a s t a r d file. I’m sure there is more I’ll remember later!
        Caution!

Comment

stress test

I have alway's been nearvous on test day's even thou I did it a 100 times already before. Take an extra breath and slow down, i was alway's tryin to hard and made stupid mistakes i normally would never do, slow ypor speed down and make sure you give the weld time to flow keep away from undercut.

Comment

Cool !

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
            When I first started taking structural tests an old timer told me a trick I’ve used every since. Draw a soapstone line 1 inch or so from the edge of the “V” while welding out the test keep an eye on the blue heat line, when it get to this 1 inch mark throw it to the side and start on another position's test, until this one has time to cool.
            Sonora;

That's interesting, I've never heard that one before. Makes sense though !
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 54 pan View Post
              hello everyone, going to do my cwb 4 position smaw, have been practising but wondering if anyone has any pointers for passing the bend tests. have my own ideas but looking for insight on heat recomendations for each position?, technique?, ect. i am trying to prepare myself as best i can- never too proud to ask for some advice. 2 pieces 6inch long 3/8 plate, butt weld, 3/8ish gap with 1/4inch backing plate, single 30 degree bevel-other plate square. all 4 positions, cut into coupons- face and root bend.
              Make sure you remove the mill scale from the general weld area before you tack up your parts. If not, it tends to show up looking like little inclusions in the bend area. It didn't cause me problems, but better to eliminate the possibility of that causing a failure than to have to use it as an excuse!

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                Sonora;

That's interesting, I've never heard that one before. Makes sense though !
                Norm pouring the coals and over cooking a plate for a bend test can bite you, not so much for xray. In both test situations cleanliness is next to Godliness!
                Last edited by Sonora Iron; 12-10-2009, 05:04 AM. Reason: Spelling, again!
                Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                  Norm pouring the coals and over cooking a plate for a bend test can bite you, not so much for xray. In both test situations cleanliness is nest to Godliness!
                  I'll second that last sentence. I weld alot of ss to carbon tig with inconel and the stainless usually has been furnaced. It has to be perfectly clean to get good welds.Think cylinder rotary file. Most every weld I make at work is treated like a test weld because it's 100% x-ray on all disimiliar metal welds.Keeps you on your game.
                  Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                  Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                  Rockwell vertical mill
                  Beverly Shear B-3
                  Beverly Shear JR
                  Home-made English wheel
                  Milwaukee Porta-band
                  " Sawz-all
                  Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                  Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                  Powcon 300st

Comment

smaw

thanks, and keep it coming

Comment

You know your first fillet pass is going to extend 3/4 of the plate. Don't get carried away with too much heat and screw up the stop/start bend. You're going to start on the backing plate so just find a safe comfortable heat to get you to the stop point. Clean you crater and turn your machine up a touch. This next section is only a couple inches so you can get away with the heat. That stop/start is where most failures happen.

Comment

It's been a while since I've taken a C.W.B. test, I don't recall having a run on run off with the backing plate ?
                        Maybe some of you that have taken a recent CWB. test could enlighten Me on the more recent procedures !

Maybe My memory is silpping with age ?

........... Norm :

Comment

CWB. Test Procedures !

Originally posted by reggie
                          backing extends beyond plates allowing run on /off.CWB will tell you where to stop/start on first pass...center punch the soapstone mark allowing for easy veiw of where to stop.First pass ran down unprepped edge bevel of other edge allows clearance for proper rod access.1 pass down each plate edge allowing clearance for third pass down middle..all plate postions except horizontal which is two.Also with horizontal test plates ensure unprepped plate edge is on bottom to act as shelf.Usually each position test is perfomed one at a time,progressing to next position after visual inspection ok.Also a visual ok is required after stop and start of first pass on each plate before continuation to fill and cap.(other tests x-ray,bend,etc determines pass/fail).Also make sure plates to backing is a tight fit to prevent slag inclusions in root passes.Im sure you aware of proper coupon prep if test is guided bend.Don't exceed 1/8 build up on cap and don't have test plate straight in front of you ..have it offset so it follows your arms natural arc(pos1,2,4), wire wheel on grinder is usually allowed.If being x-rayed watch pointed end of chipping hammer on cap... been known to be interpreted as porosity ...
                          Reggie; Thanks, I still don't recall the Run On - Run Off I must be going senial !

I do remember in the Late "70's" doing an Unlimited test ( 1.25" x 12" ) Plates where we cut about 1" off each end with a torch when the test was completed !
                          We were Welding 8" thick steel at the Nanticoke Stelco plant.
                          The bottom of the pots you see pouring the molten steel out of them .
                          They changed the Design from a Tilt Pour to a Bottom pour. We cut out a 3' Diameter hole and welded in a piece they called a donut that was controled from a Control room !

The piece was welded in 4" each side & electriclly heated 24 hrs. a day.
                          One week each side, of welding !

............ Norm :

Comment

nfinch86
                            Don't worry about your sanity. I just checked the GRB testing site from Alberta and they indeed picture the backup strip as being the same length as the base plate. Good call. Now what was I thinking of and where am I anyhow????
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks !!!

Originally posted by OldSparks View Post
                              nfinch86
                              Don't worry about your sanity. I just checked the GRB testing site from Alberta and they indeed picture the backup strip as being the same length as the base plate. Good call. Now what was I thinking of and where am I anyhow????
                              Thanks;
                              I fell better now, I thought I was loosing It !!

I Don't remember ever having the Backing plate longer than the test plates !

............. Norm :

Comment

Working...
                              X