Is pulse worth the $$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is pulse worth the $$?

I'm about to buy a new TIG unit. My LWS is setting me up with a new Diversion 165.

I will be using it for hobby autobody restoration work and various stainless and aluminum projects. I should also add that I'm a novice TIG welder.

In your opinion, should I hold off, save my money and look for for a unit that offers pulse mode?

Given that I'm a beginner who will eventually be doing more aluminum work than steel, is it worth the extra money to get pulse mode?

If you really want to play with a pulser you can get one of these from Oakden and add it to a Diversion. I have no expereince with it, but I think there are a couple people on here that have used on.

http://oakden.ca/home/index.php/tig-pulser-unit

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

The thinner the material and the less experienced you are, the more you'll want a unit with pulse. I say save up and get a pulse machine.

Comment

Well, one thing you want to consider right off is how much you are willing to spend & what you want to do.

The Diversion is indeed, a nice little machine. Key word little. If you do not already own a stick machine, you may want to hold on to your money & consider something bigger you can grow into. The Diversion will not stick weld & is very limited for AC TIG. If you never plan on stick welding & never intend to do anything thicker than sheet metal, the Diversion will do fine for your needs.

Pulse is a nice option to have but realistically, nothing you absolutely need. I would forego the Diversion & think about the S'Wave 200 or 250. There are many used machines out there & the economy is soft right now. Even the slightly older S'Wave 250 machines are selling quite cheap (around what the Diversion sells for retail) & are very reliable. A PC 300 pulser unit can be added to them easily for around $300 on average.

I wouldn't sweat pulse myself right now. Look at getting a machine you will get the best value for your money out of.

Good luck.
        So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Another thing to consider. The Millers with pulse have 3 year warranty including the pulse. What is the warranty on the add on. Also If you trade up from the Diversion later to a unit with pulse, when you sell the Diversion, the buyer may not want the add on or give you very little for it. I have pulse on
          my sync 200 and like it.
          Nick
          Miller 252 Mig
          Miller Cricket XL
          Millermatic 150 Mig
          Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
          2-O/A outfits
          Jet Lathe and Mill
          Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
          DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
          Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
          20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
          Propane Forge
          60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
          Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
          and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

I've never had a need for tig pulse. I've never even tried the pulse in my TA185 and I use the machine in my welding business. Tig pulse is something I wouldn't miss at all if I didn't have it.

Now mig pulse, that's a whole other matter. I use mig pulse often.
            Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
            Millermatic175
            MillermaticPassport/Q300
            HTP MIG200
            PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
            ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
            Purox oxy/ace
            Jackson EQC
            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
            -LoadNGo utility bed
            -Bobcat 250NT
            -PassportPlus/Q300
            -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
            -Smith oxy/propane
            -Jackson EQC

Comment

I hope you get more replies on this.

I have pulse but haven't found a lot of use for it. I'll try different pulse settings and then switch back to no pulse and the end result seems the same.

So jump in guys, I also want to hear when you guys use it.

I would say get it if you can. One day you will learn why and be glad you did.
              I'm still looking for the need of allot of things on the Dynasty, the new technology is somewhat overwhelming but one day I hope to be able to answer questions like these guys can.

Comment

I don’t mess with the pulse too much on my DX 300, when doing aluminum I set it to these setting only because I like the narrow arc it creates helps with penetration on fillet welds. Background 85%, peak time 80%, PPS 200. I have yet to weld any thin stainless steel with this machine, but seems as I’ve read this is where the pulse is really helpful.
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Just one person's opinion, but spending the money for an add on pulser for the Diversion 165 would be like bolting a turbocharger on a stock block. The Diversion was created as a simple, basic tig welder capable of doing AC and DC.

I've got pulse capability on both my tig setups, but really don't use the pulse much at all for aluminum. Where it really shines (especially the high freq pulse-Dynasty) is on thin stainless. Really helps to agitate the puddle while keeping the average amps down.

I'd be more concerned with having a machine with balance control, post flow control, AC frequency control, etc. than I would worry about pulse.

When you're buying a Geo to begin with you probably shouldn't expect to get a $2000 stereo system.
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

I don't know about everyone else. But when I was learning(well i'm always learning and practicing.) the guy teaching me set up the machine for pulse and honestly all it did was confuse me. I'm sure it's got a purpose somewhere but not what we do at work.

Comment

Anymore I pretty much run it all the time, No real good reason that I have except it is on there and I use it. I like the cool sound it makes as well.
                      I notice it takes away from the total power on the 200 DX but I can't much tell the difference on the other Dynasty.
                      I just sorta feel like if I use it a lot then I will become better at tuning it in when it is really needed.
                      It might not be needed but I haven't noticed it hurting anything much. I have turned it off a few times, only to switch it back on, feeling that without it something just wasn't quite as nice.
                      I also fiddle with all the other knobs Sundown talked about.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

learn without it. Listen to music while welding. The beat and your foot are now a real cheap pulser.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                          I notice it takes away from the total power on the 200 DX but I can't much tell the difference on the other Dynasty.
                          Uh, yeah, with a 700 amp machine, I wouldn't think you'd feel any lack of power!
                          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                          Millermatic175
                          MillermaticPassport/Q300
                          HTP MIG200
                          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                          Purox oxy/ace
                          Jackson EQC
                          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                          -LoadNGo utility bed
                          -Bobcat 250NT
                          -PassportPlus/Q300
                          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                          -Smith oxy/propane
                          -Jackson EQC

Comment

Goin' Red . . . Sorry

Thanks for all the quality input, but a nearly new Red Precision TIG 185 with all the goodies just fell into my lap for 1/4 of it's retail value and comes with a pulser. For the money, I can't pass it up.

Comment

Congrats on your find!!!

I was building up a boat prop blade (aluminum) with pulse and seen something interesting.

Prop blades come with all sorts of aluminum. Some weld like a dream and some seem to have a laminated layer of trash with in. Takes a good bit of cleaning to find shiny metal to add your filler on those.

Anyway, I set up on pulse. Can't remember the settings, just fooling around but it was a slow pulse maybe 3 per sec. and as I was moving along and would come to a trashy spot, I would back off and hold there a few and the pulse seemed to beat off all the black crap. Every pulse would knock of more and more of the ugly until the shine would show.

I was overly impressed. These places in prop blades are terrible. They won't take the filler so you clean forever or heat up and cram the rod in it until you make something to weld onto. Then you have more grinding cleanup.

This maybe a ticket for pulse that can be used on other applications. All my Tig for the last 20 years has been boat props with a old Dial Arc at a friends shop. I look forward to spring when he gets loaded down with props to get some good experience with pulse on these.

Although pulse isn't intended for dirty aluminum, there may be some different sort of cleaning abilities there. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X