Frequency box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency box

Just ran across this on Craigslist and wondered if it would be worth getting? I have been wanting to get one to be able to do Alum. with my Trailblazer but cant afford a new one.

Kinda hard to tell from the pix but it's made by Century.
    Attached Files
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Originally posted by shortarc View Post
    Just ran across this on Craigslist and wondered if it would be worth getting? I have been wanting to get one to be able to do Alum. with my Trailblazer but cant afford a new one.

Kinda hard to tell from the pix but it's made by Century.
    First thing is how much?

If it's in the say, $150 range MAX, it would be OK. I am not entirely familiar with that unit, but it most likely has a simple ON/OFF switch on a remote cord to turn the HF on & off. You could use it with the manual gas valve torch in the pic & a foot control connected to your TB engine drive to control the contactor & amperage. The HF box would have to activated separately.

Kind of a cobbled up way to do it, but feasible.

If he wants more than that for it, save your money & buy an HF 251 D1 used. They can be had for under a couple hundred if you happen across a BIN auction on fleabay, or find a deal on C'sList. Realistically, they sell in the $350-500 range used & can sometimes include a pedal & torch as well. You'll get the benefit of plug & play use with it & a gas solenoid with a 10 sec delay built in.

I wouldn't spend too much on that Century unit if I were you. The 251 D1 will hold it's value very well if you were to purchase one. That's going to be the best route to take.

Good luck.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Be careful with cheap freq boxes on a Trailblazer! I had a Dayton brand and connected it to my trailblazer 251, it eventually took out the circuit board in the machine!
      It turned out to be feeding the high freq back into the machine, which took out the main circuit board.
      I got hold of an old miller 1000, and the problems were solved by it.
      The cheapies will work on a transformer machine, but are not good on anything with electronics in the control circuits, I found out the hard way.
      mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
        Be careful with cheap freq boxes on a Trailblazer! I had a Dayton brand and connected it to my trailblazer 251, it eventually took out the circuit board in the machine!
        It turned out to be feeding the high freq back into the machine, which took out the main circuit board.
        I got hold of an old miller 1000, and the problems were solved by it.
        The cheapies will work on a transformer machine, but are not good on anything with electronics in the control circuits, I found out the hard way.
        May not even try to use it on the TB if I get it. Can't afford something like that. Got an old miller ac - dc machine in the shop I might use it on though.

7A749. The guy is asking 75
        Trailblazer 302
        Lincoln SP-135-T
        Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
        Smith torch
        Spoolmatic 30A

Comment

I have a similar Century High Freq box and it works very well on my Lincoln tombstone. $75 is a deal for that, assuming it works ok. When you turn the switch on, you should hear a sparking noise in the machine. No gas solenoid on mine.

Comment

Working...
          X