5G pipe weld problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G pipe weld problems

Hey everone, im in welding school right, and i am doing a 5G pipe weld, 3/32" 6010 ROOT, 3/32" 7019 fill on 6" sched. 40 pipe. My problem is, i can get a nice weave cover on the top 75% of the pipe, but the bottom of the pipe, i cant get a decent root or weave cover. The rest of the pipe, my root is okay. I guess my biggest problem is probably stability and controlling the rod.
    Does anybody have ideas for a how to stabilize yourself for pipe welding?

Originally posted by RTCmiller View Post
    Does anybody have ideas for a how to stabilize yourself for pipe welding?
    In a test situation I use a pony clamp with just a long enough piece of pipe clamped on the end of the pipe to rest my off arm, on site I use a pipe wrench or strap wrench hooked over the pipe to rest my arm on.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Sounds like you need to spend some time practicing welding plate in the overhead position. That will help you with welding the bottom 1/4 of the pipe.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

Comment

Comfort is very important when doing a pipe welding test.
        I've used a set of vise grips clamped to the end of my pipe support to rest my hands on. I've seen other guys weld an L shaped bracket with flat bar and weld that to the pipe support to rest their hands on.
        Get into a comfortable position with your body and your hands that allows you to move your hands around the pipe with no restrictions. This will ensure that no poor electrode movement happens.
        Lincoln Idealarc 250
        Miller Bobcat 250
        Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
        X