Need a light duty MIG recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t1113rs View Post
    At FABTECH, Hobart just came out with an interesting Passport wannabe that has internal batteries that you can weld with out in the woods if you want... after charging it. I guess it runs on AC as well.

Supposedly, the company that owns Miller owns Hobart too. So they could probably adapt battery technology to work on the next generation Passport as well. Then you have this "ReadyWelder" which uses dc car/truck batteries that originally had military applications before it was kind of cheapie-commercialized.

I second aerometalworker, the torch is your best option for remote semi-TIG-like portability.
    The Hobart Trek180 does not run off of A/C power: when plugged in to the wall it is only charging the Batteries.

They list it as 115v Input Power but somewhat misleading as it is still using the internal batteries for power- That is how they get away with stating 180 amps from 115v
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
      Wow, the price is really dropping on those 211 I guess, that's a smokin' price! Previous best price I had heard was one that my local Airgas sold for $925 a couple months ago. When they first came out beginning of this year, they were in the upper 9's.
      i'm not sure the price is actually really dropping.. when i went in there i told them i was shopping and was at their competitor across town, and they had it for $916.. so i asked if they could beat it, he looked in his books and said how about $877??? sold.. i called back the competitor and told them what i could get it for at Airgas and they said that was below their cost... the airgas salesman said they'd do what they had to do to keep a customer in the store and sell them something..

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
        The Hobart Trek180 does not run off of A/C power: when plugged in to the wall it is only charging the Batteries.

They list it as 115v Input Power but somewhat misleading as it is still using the internal batteries for power- That is how they get away with stating 180 amps from 115v
        I checked it out. It will do 180 amps at only a 12% duty cycle or 120 amps at a 20% duty cycle. Hope you only need a couple of tack welds.
        Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.57 View Post
          Desertrider, I remember you were a big help when I was on the fence about buying my Passport. Thanks again! Your comments about the machine were spot-on accurate. I don't even keep 75/25 at the house anymore.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the early Passports was the ground clamp. Plan on spending $15 for a decent ground clamp because the one that Miller used to ship them with was truly awful. I've seen jumper cables from the Dollar Store come with better quality clamps - seriously. Second time I used it the the spring lost all of it's tension and it was pretty much rendered useless. Supposedly the newer ones come with a decent clamp. Just saying don't let the quality of one minor item like the ground clamp turn you off the whole welder. Aside from that one minor issue, it's a great little MIG.

Note to Miller Sales/Marketing if you read this: Please refer the "corporate bean counters" to customer comment above.
          You're welcome, glad to help, and glad you're happy with the new machine!

I know what ya mean about that cable and clamp. Soon as I got mine, I upgraded it with a 15' 2ga work cable and a much better clamp, plus a 15' Bernard Q300 gun with Centerfire and a leather jacket covering the whip. Me likey very much! This is how these machines should come from the factory!

The other day, a Miller product line manager for the Millermatic line called me to ask how I liked my new Reach feeder. While he had me on the phone, he asked what ideas I may have to improve the Millermatic product line. One of the things I discussed was a more 'professional' level Passport, with a heavier duty wire drive mechanism, same as what comes in the Suitcase feeders, a 15' Bernard QGun, a better work cable and clamp in 15' length, and an option for digital volt/amp/wfs meters. Miller is paying attention to what we want and they are asking questions! Maybe we will see some of these improvements in the future!
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed