Need a light duty MIG recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dondlhmn View Post
    OK, Broccoli1, maybe I will wait...is there a machine out there that does both MIG and TIG YESand maybe even stick and doesn't cost more than my house? No

Don J
    and AC Tig =$$
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Don't wait, buy a feeder unit. Get to tig later unless it is an absolute necessity. A mig is the workhorse of small shops and general fabrication work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        Don't wait, buy a feeder unit. Get to tig later unless it is an absolute necessity. A mig is the workhorse of small shops and general fabrication work.
        He has one already Miller250

but since he mentioned thin aloominum and working on BSA Sheet metal a Tig would be better than spending $ on a 120v migoline machine
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

XMT 304 CC/CV and 350 CC/CV both do mig, dc tig and stick, with the necessary attatchments (feeder & torch, or tig torch & pedal). I don't know of any currently made machine that does mig, stick, dc tig and ac tig. Shopmasters used to do all those but no longer do ac tig for the current models.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

need a nice smallish MIG welder

Dondlhmn, I have a new Craftsman 20559, 105 amp. It welds fluxcore and MIG steel, stainless, and aluminum. I only tested it for 15 minutes, then stored it, since the divorce. It is a Highly desired MIG. It has DUAL precision variable control knobs for wire speed and Voltage-Heat. Has gauges for Gas; rolls of flux, steel, aluminum and stainless. Asking $275 on Ebay. Search on Craftsman MIG. my ID is mckscott. Local pickup only in Los angeles. ends 3/7/10 6 pm
            Call 310-838-8391

Comment

What kind of shape are you in, dondldhmn? I'm heading into my mid-sixties, and after lugging 80lbs of MM175 up a flight or two of stairs, my pore ol' back tells me that rig isn't as "portable" as I'd hoped when I bought it. I like the specs on that Passport.

Comment

Two passports came up on Craigslist for right around $1000. One was supposedly new, but blue in color (Miller shows 'black' color currently).

While I wavered, someone else (after a week or so) bought it.

I really don't have a need. I just wanted to see how well it can run with CO2.

As far as ultra portables go. Isn't there a company that makes all kinds of welding equipment that runs off of car batteries (not that a car battery is 'portable' - some are darn heavy) but it might be an option for some.
                Con Fuse!
                Miller Dynasty 350
                Millermatic 350P
                -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Even if you own a larger machine, the portable size small MIGs are great timesavers. I just used my Passport today to fix my truck where a couple thieves tried to saw the catalytic converter off yesterday. Having a "little" MIG handy saved me a lot of time/grief trying to TIG under the truck in a really awkward position on dirty exhaust pipe. I figure it saved me about a $50 bill. It's also nice knowing the work was "done right" because it was done by a professional (yours truly) instead of some kid working at a muffler shop.

I bought my Passport slightly used for $1K with a 2 yr warranty from a local welder repair place. Worth every Penny. It's a real nice unit and the only MIG I have ever used that actually welds BETTER with straight CO2. Spatter free and it gives very good penetration. I don't know if I do enough small MIG work to justify buying one new, but it's the nicest performing light duty MIG I've ever used. The 211 is a close second and less expensive.

The Passport has a real nice balance of features for a secondary machine, i.e. you're looking for something to use on jobs where stick or TIG isn't really the best option or you just want something for those "5 minute" jobs. I figure anything heavy enough to warrant a 250 class MIG I can do with 7018 every bit as pretty. Anything that really needs to be precise I'll TIG inside the shop.

Edit: Mine's a blue case model (Made before they came out with the "Passport Plus"). I think they switched to black cases in '06. If you don't ever use an aluminum spoolgun the "plus" in the model name doesn't really make a difference.
                  Last edited by MR.57; 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM.
                  2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

As a Tig alternative, you could OA weld your aluminum sheet as was probably done originally on the BSA. Couple hundred bucks gets you into it with a new torch, lens and light hose.....something to think about.
                    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                      As far as ultra portables go. Isn't there a company that makes all kinds of welding equipment that runs off of car batteries (not that a car battery is 'portable' - some are darn heavy) but it might be an option for some.
                      At FABTECH, Hobart just came out with an interesting Passport wannabe that has internal batteries that you can weld with out in the woods if you want... after charging it. I guess it runs on AC as well.

Supposedly, the company that owns Miller owns Hobart too. So they could probably adapt battery technology to work on the next generation Passport as well. Then you have this "ReadyWelder" which uses dc car/truck batteries that originally had military applications before it was kind of cheapie-commercialized.

I second aerometalworker, the torch is your best option for remote semi-TIG-like portability.
                      Last edited by t1113rs; 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM.
                      XMT 350 w/ S-75 DXA Feeder
                      and a Bernard 300 gun
                      Optima Pulsing Pendant
                      XR-W wire feeder + Coolmate 4
                      with an XR-W Edge Gun

Regular Passport

Dynasty 200DX
                      Trailblazer 301G w/Freak Box &
                      S-32P volt sensing wire feeder

Spectrum 1000 Plasma
                      Spectrum 375 Xtreme Plasma
                      Regular Spectrum 375 Plasma

Victor H315FC torch & accessories
                      Victor 100FC torch & accessories
                      Meco torch & accessories by Kent White

Comment

another vote for the MM 211.... i had a small 110 volt that i had alot of trouble finding the sweet spot with, sold it and got the 211 and am now a happy camper... as for price i got mine at Airgas for $877.00..

Comment

Originally posted by gsport View Post
                          another vote for the MM 211.... i had a small 110 volt that i had alot of trouble finding the sweet spot with, sold it and got the 211 and am now a happy camper... as for price i got mine at Airgas for $877.00..
                          Wow, the price is really dropping on those 211 I guess, that's a smokin' price! Previous best price I had heard was one that my local Airgas sold for $925 a couple months ago. When they first came out beginning of this year, they were in the upper 9's.
                          Millermatic175
                          MillermaticPassport/Q300
                          HTP MIG200
                          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                          Purox oxy/ace
                          Jackson EQC
                          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                          -LoadNGo utility bed
                          -Bobcat 250NT
                          -PassportPlus/Q300
                          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                          -Smith oxy/propane
                          -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by MR.57 View Post
                            Even if you own a larger machine, the portable size small MIGs are great timesavers. I just used my Passport today to fix my truck where a couple thieves tried to saw the catalytic converter off yesterday. Having a "little" MIG handy saved me a lot of time/grief trying to TIG under the truck in a really awkward position on dirty exhaust pipe. I figure it saved me about a $50 bill. It's also nice knowing the work was "done right" because it was done by a professional (yours truly) instead of some kid working at a muffler shop.

I bought my Passport slightly used for $1K with a 2 yr warranty from a local welder repair place. Worth every Penny. It's a real nice unit and the only MIG I have ever used that actually welds BETTER with straight CO2. Spatter free and it gives very good penetration. I don't know if I do enough small MIG work to justify buying one new, but it's the nicest performing light duty MIG I've ever used. The 211 is a close second and less expensive.

The Passport has a real nice balance of features for a secondary machine, i.e. you're looking for something to use on jobs where stick or TIG isn't really the best option or you just want something for those "5 minute" jobs. I figure anything heavy enough to warrant a 250 class MIG I can do with 7018 every bit as pretty. Anything that really needs to be precise I'll TIG inside the shop.

Edit: Mine's a blue case model (Made before they came out with the "Passport Plus"). I think they switched to black cases in '06. If you don't ever use an aluminum spoolgun the "plus" in the model name doesn't really make a difference.
                            I definately agree with that, the Passport is by far the handiest machine I own. Mine is a 2007 black case model, before they came out with the spoolgun-compatible Plus model in 2008. My friend has a 2009 Plus model that I have welded with. They both weld fluxcore exactly the same, which is great. I've never tried one on aluminum with the spool gun. Mine does weld gas mig better with CO2 than with mix gas, which was surprising. I use fluxcore in mine most of the time though since most of the work I do with it is on-site, outdoors.
                            Millermatic175
                            MillermaticPassport/Q300
                            HTP MIG200
                            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                            Purox oxy/ace
                            Jackson EQC
                            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                            -LoadNGo utility bed
                            -Bobcat 250NT
                            -PassportPlus/Q300
                            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                            -Smith oxy/propane
                            -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                              Two passports came up on Craigslist for right around $1000. One was supposedly new, but blue in color (Miller shows 'black' color currently).
                              The first generation Passports were blue and called Passport 180. I think those were from 2004-2005. The second generation were black and just called Passport. I think those started in 2006 and ended in Dec, 2007. The last generation are black and called Passport Plus and came out in Jan, 2008. The Plus models are the only ones that can weld aluminum, only with the Spoolmate 100 spool gun. The previous models are not spool gun compatible. New Passports sell for about $1500.
                              Millermatic175
                              MillermaticPassport/Q300
                              HTP MIG200
                              DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                              Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                              Purox oxy/ace
                              Jackson EQC
                              -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                              -LoadNGo utility bed
                              -Bobcat 250NT
                              -PassportPlus/Q300
                              -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                              -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                              -Smith oxy/propane
                              -Jackson EQC

Comment

Desertrider, I remember you were a big help when I was on the fence about buying my Passport. Thanks again! Your comments about the machine were spot-on accurate. I don't even keep 75/25 at the house anymore.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the early Passports was the ground clamp. Plan on spending $15 for a decent ground clamp because the one that Miller used to ship them with was truly awful. I've seen jumper cables from the Dollar Store come with better quality clamps - seriously. Second time I used it the the spring lost all of it's tension and it was pretty much rendered useless. Supposedly the newer ones come with a decent clamp. Just saying don't let the quality of one minor item like the ground clamp turn you off the whole welder. Aside from that one minor issue, it's a great little MIG.

Note to Miller Sales/Marketing if you read this: Please refer the "corporate bean counters" to customer comment above.
                                2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                                2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

Working...
                                X