Firestorm grinder died today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firestorm grinder died today

Looking for advice on a new one. Did a quick search and didn't see anything in the first 2 pages.

I am looking for one at least 7 amps, 4 1/2 inch and will last longer than a couple of months.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but don't mind spending for quality. Also would like to keep it below $80.00.

Thanks
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw
    4x6 band saw
    Never enough clamps

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=grinder

Comment

I would love to have the industrial version of dewalts 4 1/2", I think its an 802 or something like that or the Metabo. Brrn waiting for my 2 B&D 4 1/2" grinders to die for 5 or 6 years so I could, they just won't after 10 or more.
      "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks

Found this at Tractor Supply. Never had a Dewalt anything

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/p...rinder-3806811

Any comments about this grinder most weldcomed
        Rick

HH 140
        Hyper Therm Powermax 600
        Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
        Forge
        Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
        HydMech 225 cold saw
        several grinders
        Rigid Chop Saw
        4x6 band saw
        Never enough clamps

Comment

tractor supply also sells the 10amp 4.5 dewalt
          TB 325
          TB 302
          dynasty 200sd
          spoolmatic 30a/wc24
          suitcase x-treme 12vs
          miller 211
          evolution rage 2

Comment

Ridgid-Hitichi

Ridgid-Hitichi are very good grinders for the money, my ridgid I have had for 10 years, it has ground more metal, been dropped, and abused- keeps going. The hitichi is very powerful, only used it for 2-3 years, but has been very good, both of the grinders are in the 8-9 amp range. If you require more power than this, buy a 9 inch grinder!
            Kevin
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

Comment

I have the 4.5" dewalt 10 amp grinder. Has plenty of power & I like the way it fits in my hand. I have also used a craftsman which lasted long but it felt to big, not comfortable.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Try the DeWalt

The 5" with 7.5 amp motor is a good one. I don't care for the orange O ring on the spindle though. The spindle nut doesn't want to tighten up on some .045 cutting wheels.
                The Makita's seem to loose power(rpm's) more than the DeWalts. The gears break in the DeWalts. HD and TSC have both for about $65. The 12 amp Milwaukee has a more comfortable switch but costs $100.
                Last edited by deafman; 11-28-2009, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I just bought a 2 pack of bosch 4-1/2" at home depot for $80, not totally disappointed but not thrilled either, they are 6 amp I believe and seem to be short on power. but having those two plus my dewalt 10 amp 4-1/2" is very convenient, and I leave the tough jobs to the dewalt. It's nice to grab another grinder rather than switch wheels / brushes constantly, that being said, forty bucks each wasn't bad, but if it was my only one, I would't by the bosch.

Comment

i have both makita and dewalt not sure on their specs but i have had the makita for 8 years of hellish abuse and i used the makita almost everyday for the last 2 years both great tools never had a single problem and never felt underpowered.
                    Syncrowave 250
                    Millermatic 210
                    dialarc 250
                    spectrum 375x
                    trailblazer 302
                    Lincoln 135

Comment

Makita Grinders

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                      i have both makita and dewalt not sure on their specs but i have had the makita for 8 years of hellish abuse and i used the makita almost everyday for the last 2 years both great tools never had a single problem and never felt underpowered.
                      Ditto. Used them in the salt air in the US ****** Islands for 3 years and now in the FL Keys. Have 4 of the Makita version. Been dropped, kicked, thrown, rained on, etc. Haven't had one quit. Don't much like buying overseas stuff but these are tough machines by my standard.
                      Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Picked up the 7.5 amp Dewalt on sale at TSC plus a $5 off coupon. Just over $48 out the door. I just wish they had 2 of them.

I may pick up a 10 amp after I get this project completed and make a payday
                        Rick

HH 140
                        Hyper Therm Powermax 600
                        Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                        Forge
                        Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
                        HydMech 225 cold saw
                        several grinders
                        Rigid Chop Saw
                        4x6 band saw
                        Never enough clamps

Comment

After playing with the new grinder for several hours, I like the lighter weight of the dewalt. I don't like the side switch, thank God for leather aprons.
                          Rick

HH 140
                          Hyper Therm Powermax 600
                          Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                          Forge
                          Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
                          HydMech 225 cold saw
                          several grinders
                          Rigid Chop Saw
                          4x6 band saw
                          Never enough clamps

Comment

In 4.5" I have the 7 amp DeWalt, the 10 amp DeWalt, a Metabo, and two cheap Lowe's Specials. I have them all handy and I will tell you this, the only one I grind with is the 10A DeWalt. The Metabo is a close second, so I keep cutoff wheels on it. 7 amp DeWalt doesn't have the umph, so it keeps a wire wheel. The 20 dollar Lowe's grinders do a fine job sanding with a rubber backer disk and wire wheeling. They won't do much more. Therefore, one has a rubber backer and sanding disk, while the other has a SS wire brush.

They've all lasted a long time because I don't ask them to do more than they can. And with 5 grinders, only the 10A DeWalt gets a hard workout. But it will grind like a 9" no kidding. You can't hardly slow it down. It is tough.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                            Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                            "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                            "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                            "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Grinder for free!

Originally posted by ricksidebottom View Post
                              After playing with the new grinder for several hours, I like the lighter weight of the dewalt. I don't like the side switch, thank God for leather aprons.
                              Tri GAs (matheson) had a deal going where you bout 25 disks you got the grinder for free. Another part was you bought 100 you got the bigger grinder for free. But you had to buy steel grinding disks and I use more of the aluminum grinding type and they woulndn't make the change.
                              Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X