No announcement yet.

tig weld problem melting tungsteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted, I think the fellers here will be able to assist you better if you give a lot more details about your specific problem. What are you welding, machine settings, what gas are you using, are you using an auto darkening hood and what is it set on, etc. There are so many variables as to why you have a specific problem, the more info you give, the easier it will be for folks to help you narrow down the issue.

Comment

Are you dipping your tungsten? If so, don't do that.

Comment

I am welding 1/8 x 1" steel, using argon gas at 20 ft.³ an hour, an auto darkening helmet set in the middle between zero and 10,Machine is set at 8o amps 1/16 Tungsten. At some points seems to omit an explosion of light. Any suggestions other than dont dip my tungsten in the puddle. I have trouble seeing so I may well be doing that..

Comment

Ted, that's good info, something to work with. I'm not familiar with auto darkening hoods with an adjustment such as yours. On my Speedglas you select which shade you want to use, shade 8,9, 10, whatever. And yes, it will flare up if you dip the tungsten. I use reading glasses under my hood, cuz my 60 yr. old eyes aint what they used to be. What type of tungsten are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by ted10028 View Post
            ...At some points seems to omit an explosion of light...
            What auto-darkening hood are you using? Was it also the cheapest one you could find?

Comment

After the explosion of light (eol) what does your tungsten look like? Is it melted off or have a big glob on it or still sharp? The eol may be your auto dark hood going from dark to light if the sensor on the hood gets blocked or if it is not getting enough light. Have you tried adjusting the hood to different settings?
              Below should have nothing with your problem but just what I would suggest.
              For settings I would turn the gas down to 15, up the amps to 120 provided you have a foot pedal or finger control? Possibly going to a 3/32 tungsten but 1/16 should be ok but at the limit.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

What auto-darkening hood are you using? Was it also the cheapest one you could find?
                Haha that was my first thought too. You must admit something like this machine would be decent to learn on. Not something I'd use if my job depended on it. I paid about as much for my hood as this welder cost.

At some points seems to omit an explosion of light.
                Most auto-dark hoods have a sensitivity adjustment. I was getting flashed a bit the other day and discovered I'd turn the sensitivity too low.
                Last edited by MasterKwan; 03-05-2021, 04:06 AM.

Comment

A tig arc tends to be very “soft” and if you block the arc with the torch, like twist your wrist so the torch head gets between your hood and the arc, sometimes your auto hood will do mean things to you, especially if it’s a budget hood with fewer sensors than higher shelf hoods. Don’t be afraid to invest in yourself.

Or, your HF could be wonky and if the machine thinks the arc is extinguishing it may be trying to light it off again. I’ve recently experienced a similar condition with AC tig on a machine that hasn’t fired in a while and the points were likely a bit corroded. Once I ran it for a few minutes she smoothed out.

Unfortunately for us, quality machines are expensive. While your machine may fit your budget and application at the moment, you have to be real with yourself about what you have and work with it. If it’s something you’re planning to expand upon, then doing soon sooner rather than later will give you the best chance for success.

Comment

Their machine doesn't have HF, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Lots of great information guys I really appreciate it. My TIG is working well enough now that I have it hooked up correctly but of course my welds are not exactly a pretty stack of dimes by any means, more like rotten swiss cheese.

Today I wanted to go back and try to stick welding again since the owners manual says that should be wired the same way as TIG welding. I had lots of trouble scratching and lifting to get an arc started. It may be my fault for not being able to keep the height of the stick constant. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ps i used tungsten electrode 2% thor,1/16 x 7 Red EWTH -2.
                      Last edited by ted10028; 03-05-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

ps i used tungsten electrode 2% thor,1/16
                        For my hobby work most of the time I'm using a 3/32 tungsten. I've stepped down to using 1/16 for some body sheet metal which is hella-thin...

Comment

Are you suggesting 3/32 makes striking an arc easier or is better in some other way? Please let me know. With TIG electrode negative seemed to make a huge difference but with stick im not seeing any difference . Does that make sense???
                          Last edited by ted10028; 03-05-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Ted10028 wrote "Today I wanted to go back and try to stick welding again"

Now you are changing gears. Maybe start a new thread on how to use my Yes welder?

Most common stick set up is dcep, rod holder/stinger to + and ground clamp to -. Stick is not set up like tig usually. How are your cables hooked up, what rods are you using, what amps are you running, size and type of material? Not mind readers here, maybe chuck out that manual as it does not seem to be correct?
                            MM250
                            Trailblazer 250g
                            22a feeder
                            Lincoln ac/dc 225
                            Victor O/A
                            MM200 black face
                            Arco roto-phase model M
                            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                            Miller spectrum 875
                            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                            Syncrowave 250
                            RCCS-14

Comment

Ted10028 wrote "more like rotten swiss cheese."

Either a gas flow/coverage issue or dirty material.
                              MM250
                              Trailblazer 250g
                              22a feeder
                              Lincoln ac/dc 225
                              Victor O/A
                              MM200 black face
                              Arco roto-phase model M
                              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                              Miller spectrum 875
                              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                              Syncrowave 250
                              RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by ted10028 View Post

ps i used tungsten electrode 2% thor,1/16 x 7 Red EWTH -2.
                                Why are you saying this in a post (#40) about stick welding?
                                Richard
                                West coast of Florida

Comment

Working...
                                X