Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charpy V-Notch tests, and the meaning ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I witnessed batch lot charpy V notch testing at Lincoln in ohio. its a very interesting process to watch.

They were doing a batch lot of NR-233 @ -30 Deg.

They have something like 30 seconds to remove the ground and prepared sample from the freezer chuck it in the test rig and complete the test.

if i recall the test samples were 1/4" X 1/4" square about 3" long with a V ground 1/8" into the sample.

The techs doing the work say that on rare occasions they do have samples that will dead stop the test rig. which is really bad for the strain gages and equipment.

This was aprox 8 years ago and my memory isn't the best.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
      Looks like your 12VS is going to get a workout UltraCore 71C is some sweet wire. It runs on 100% CO2. The wire itself is black, and perforated, no snips needed. The 15# spool fits in the feeder, because the spool has a recess for the retainer. It's certified FEMA 353 and AWS D1.8 Seismic.

Dave
      The Ultracore 71C is a trade name, Lincoln Electric Co.
      The AWS number is E71T-1C-H8 .045 Makes it less confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
        Makes it less confusing.

Or more confusing.
        Different brands of the same wire can have a lot of variety in user friendlyness. And personal preference is a large part of it.
        There are a lot of wires out there that fall under the same E classification but that run different.
        So a guy saying he really likes a particular wire, say UltraCore 71C, isn't the same as saying he likes every wire (even from the same manufacturer) of the same class.
        There's quite a bit of differing opinion and preference amoung the T-1 gas shielded and T-8 self shielded wires. Some love one, others don't but really like another.
        They aren't all the same old thing regardless of their numbers, you have to try them to see what you'd rather run.
        JTMcC
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
        X