Welding Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cable

Looking to buy some verry high strand count welding cable for extreme flexability. (stinger end) any suggestions?

"Whips"

What you're looking for is Ultra-Flexible Whip cable. OSHA requires a minimum of 11 feet of "whip." DWC (Direct Wire & Cable) makes it for around $3.00-$4.00/ft., usually in orange. You can buy either #1 or #2 on line from www.ramweldingsupply.com

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
      What you're looking for is Ultra-Flexible Whip cable. OSHA requires a minimum of 11 feet of "whip."
      Very interesting, I wonder what their thought process is on that one?
      at home:
      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
      2008 Suitcase 12RC
      Spoolmatic 30A
      WC-24
      2009 Dynasty 200DX
      2000 XMT 304
      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Sold:MM130XP
      Sold:MM 251
      Sold:CST 280

at work:
      Invision 350MP
      Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

11ft. Whip ?

Dave; That's a New one on me as well !!

............. Norm :
        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

"Whips"

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
          Dave; That's a New one on me as well !!

............. Norm :
          Actually, according to OSHA regulations & Standards 29 CFR

"Arc Welding & Cutting"

Section 1926.351 (b)(2)

The minimum is 10 feet. I made all of mine 11' to be "ahead" of the game.

Dave
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Whip length

I would suggest 15' minimum. Connectors are always underfoot if it is any shorter. Of all the things OSHA gets into, this is a new one...

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
              What you're looking for is Ultra-Flexible Whip cable. OSHA requires a minimum of 11 feet of "whip." DWC (Direct Wire & Cable) makes it for around $3.00-$4.00/ft., usually in orange. You can buy either #1 or #2 on line from www.ramweldingsupply.com

Hope this helps

Dave
              You saying its a osha rule that you have to have a whip line you can't hook the stinger directly to your 1/0 cables?

Comment

Originally posted by stick man View Post
                You saying its a osha rule that you have to have a whip line you can't hook the stinger directly to your 1/0 cables?
                No I think the rule means you can't have a cable shorter than 10ft. If your stinger is at the end of anything more than a 10 foot cable then your in the clear.
                at home:
                2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                2008 Suitcase 12RC
                Spoolmatic 30A
                WC-24
                2009 Dynasty 200DX
                2000 XMT 304
                2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Sold:MM130XP
                Sold:MM 251
                Sold:CST 280

at work:
                Invision 350MP
                Dynasty 350
                Millermatic 350P
                Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Carol super Vu-Tron is the cats nuts!!
                  It's expensive but flexable. I used to do cement plant shut downs in eastern Pa. the shut downs are always in the winter. Rollin back a couple of hundred feet of regular welding cable at the end of the day was like fighting an Anaconda. I got the Carol cable what a difference.
                  I have a couple of whips made up a 1 for doing cute little welds with 3/32 and a 1/0 for running 1/8.
                  The amperage rating is higher than the ratings for the same size black cable.

Comment

Originally posted by maharg View Post
                    Looking to buy some verry high strand count welding cable for extreme flexability. (stinger end) any suggestions?
                    Phone Texcan in edmonton and get some superflex blue. It stays flexible down to -50c or something like that. I highly recommend it but...... It's pretty spend.

Comment

OSHA reg requires that the insulation barrier be unbroken within 10ft of the business end. No splices, repairs, breaks in the insulation, etc. Reasons: shock hazard, especially in wet environments, and flash hazard (exposed conductor shorting to the work, such as from torn insulation or loose connectors-- risk of injury is higher the closer to you it occurs)

According to our OSHA inspector, connectors are ok within 10ft of the stinger IF they are positive locking and watertight (which knocks out IEC and Tweeco's)

Comment

Originally posted by enlpck View Post
                        OSHA reg requires that the insulation barrier be unbroken within 10ft of the business end. No splices, repairs, breaks in the insulation, etc. Reasons: shock hazard, especially in wet environments, and flash hazard (exposed conductor shorting to the work, such as from torn insulation or loose connectors-- risk of injury is higher the closer to you it occurs)

According to our OSHA inspector, connectors are ok within 10ft of the stinger IF they are positive locking and watertight (which knocks out IEC and Tweeco's)
                        I'm not doubting you but man that's stiff! Every rig welder in Canada would be shut down if we had the same rules. Where could I find that on the net? Jef

Comment

If you want extreme flexibility, then get yourself some tig torch power cable and make a whip out of that. I made one, and have used it extensively in the shipyard, and its light as all get out. I wouldnt exceed 200 amps though!
                          If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                            I'm not doubting you but man that's stiff! Every rig welder in Canada would be shut down if we had the same rules. Where could I find that on the net? Jef
                            29CFR1910.254(d)(8) Electric shock. Cables with splices within 10 feet (3 m) of the holder shall not be used. The welder should not coil or loop welding electrode cable around parts of his body.

The inspector gave further detail about what a splice is (connector is a splice unless it is positive locking and watertight, etc, and equivalent to uncut cable. Ditto for repairs to insulation) and specified that breaks in the insulation violate this rule based on 1910.254(d)(9)(iii): Cables with damaged insulation or exposed bare conductors shall be replaced. Joining lengths of work and electrode cables shall be done by the use of connecting means specifically intended for the purpose. The connecting means shall have insulation adequate for the service conditions.

He is supported by the published interpretations (references arn't handy to me right now)

see: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9855

Note that the Canadian rules are similar, and in many cases tougher. See the WorkplaceBC site.

Comment

Joining lengths of work and electrode cables shall be done by the use of connecting means specifically intended for the purpose. The connecting means shall have insulation adequate for the service conditions

It seems to me that Tweco connectors are specifically intended for connecting welding cables, right?

I would think that OSHA is similar to MSHA in the fact that the compliance officer has his own interpretations that can sometimes be a little over the top, and therefore can be argued.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X