Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any body else do this

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • any body else do this

    lately ive been using decimal equivalants in my measurements when fabbing , im finding it beneficial, i will measure with the tape and then use a calculater to do the math, once this thinking comes easy, fit up work with shims becomes much faster, it now takes me less time to build a weldment, just a shared thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,kevin

  • #2
    I've always done this when figureing out stuff on the calculator because fractional calculators were not common years ago. Now it is easy as most decimal's are in my memory. You should be doing this anyway when doing stretch outs for rolling, bending & squareing to be more accurate. It also puts all dimensions in a common form instead of trying to make fractions into common denominators. One more thing that is not taught in school any more. One of the best things you can put in your shop is a wall chart showing all decimals, fractional & metric equivilents along with a tap/drill chart.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes i do it even when working with wood. With a machinist background its hard not to do it on everything...Bob
      Bob Wright

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kevin View Post
        lately ive been using decimal equivalants in my measurements when fabbing , im finding it beneficial, i will measure with the tape and then use a calculater to do the math, once this thinking comes easy, fit up work with shims becomes much faster, it now takes me less time to build a weldment, just a shared thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,kevin
        You can buy tapes that are in decimal format.

        Griff

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by griff01 View Post
          You can buy tapes that are in decimal format.

          Griff

          sweet! never thought of that. I have to have one. gotta find a good one made in usa.
          5x10 Bluco Fixture Table
          Cincinnati shear 10'x1/4"
          '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
          '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
          Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS

          Comment


          • #6
            Tape

            I beleve that LIFIKN makes one...

            Railmen
            2007 Trailblazer 302G
            2004 Invision 354MP
            1999 60 series feeder
            2005 Maxstar 200DX
            2007 CST280
            1999 HF 251-1
            older Hobart hefty wire feeder
            Hyperthrem 600
            Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
            had and sold........
            2003 XMT 304CC/CV
            1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
            1963 Lincoln SA200G
            1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
            1970's Lincoln SAE400G
            2 Maxstar's 200DX's
            1 Maxstar 200SD
            CST 280
            2 CST 250
            MM130


            Railmen

            Comment


            • #7
              Metric !

              Originally posted by Railmen View Post
              I beleve that LIFIKN makes one...

              Railmen
              Ty;
              Is that Decimal or Metric tapes ? Metric is 10's, 100's & 1000's !

              ............ Norm
              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Any surveyor will tell you “only hookers and carpenters deal in inches”.

                I’ll stay with inches and my Construction Master IV!
                Too old to change now.
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Canadian trick tape

                  Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                  Any surveyor will tell you “only hookers and carpenters deal in inches”.

                  I’ll stay with inches and my Construction Master IV!
                  Too old to change now.
                  Jorge,if you PM me a mailing address,i'll send you a nice Canadian tape measure.Imperial and metric on all tapes is standard here and very helpfull when converting one to the other.It's painless,i promise
                  Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM.
                  Millermatic 252
                  Millermatic 180
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Hobart spoolmate 3035
                  Digital Elite

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
                    Jorge,if you PM me a mailing address,i'll send you a nice Canadian tape measure.Imperial and metric on all tapes is standard here and very helpfull when converting one to the other.It's painless,i promise
                    Frank; No Way Too confusing, I have one of each, When I want metric that's the One I use !! And visa versa with Imperial Measurements !!

                    ............ Norm :
                    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I will just be happy when EVERYTHING is metric!
                      Miller Dialarc 250
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
                      Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
                      Miller Bobcat 225

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PipeLayer View Post
                        I will just be happy when EVERYTHING is metric!
                        We could start by selling you a metric adjustable wrench
                        Millermatic 252
                        Millermatic 180
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Hobart spoolmate 3035
                        Digital Elite

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
                          We could start by selling you a metric adjustable wrench
                          I can't say that I have one of those, but I do have some left handed screwdrivers.
                          Miller Dialarc 250
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
                          Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
                          Miller Bobcat 225

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PipeLayer View Post
                            I can't say that I have one of those, but I do have some left handed screwdrivers.
                            Have you tried used paint that's already in the shape of the car yet? Or a case of high horsepower?
                            Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM.
                            Millermatic 252
                            Millermatic 180
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Hobart spoolmate 3035
                            Digital Elite

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PipeLayer View Post
                              I will just be happy when EVERYTHING is metric!
                              You bite your tongue (or in this case your fingertips)! Making everything metric will really screw everything up worse than it already is!!! I'd have to spend the rest of my life with a calculator in my pocket to figure out how big something expressed in metric is with relation to inches/feet/yards which I already know.
                              Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

                              Colt the original point & click interface!

                              Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                              Miller 340A/BP
                              Victor O/A torches
                              Lincoln SP125
                              Too many other tools to list

                              03 Ram 1500
                              78 GS1000
                              82 GL1100 Interstate

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X